Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love God of the Old Testament?
Yes 21 77.78%
No 6 22.22%
Indifferent 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes! There is only ONE God, He is the God of the OT and NT.
AMEN!

Praise Be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Actually, this poll is quite demeaning to God.

Really, who are we to question God and His ways. They are not our ways, nor do we even fathom what those ways are. We get glimpses, and that is it. Do we know why they did what they did? I wasn't there, I didn't record it, and I personally don't care. It wouldn't change how I feel about my Father at all.

I see the magnificance in something so small as a DNA strand, and am quite amazed. I see our puny little planet nestled in between two giant tentacles of our Milky Way Galaxy, and get awestruck. The placement of our Earth, and the complexity of our bodies, let alone nature itself, gives me pause. It is perfect and good. I sit here and type because of that fact alone.

So to wonder why God does what He does, is for the vessel to question the Potter. I see my daughter who is 6 months old, atm, sitting there staring at me, waiting for a smile to come her way....and I understand more clearly how I feel about my Father. I wait for my smile.......It is a Loving Grin.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You still don't get it, Fundy . . . God didn't change . . . Jesus was sent to CORRECT the stupid primitive beliefs about God . . . THAT'S what changed. Too bad it still hasn't been realized by so many that God is love . . . not vengeance or hate or genocide or any other evil of humankind.
Oh I get it but thankfully not your way since Jesus came to save that which was lost. I just wanted to see what people would say. Please explain the genocide committed by God?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-12-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Do I even need to write a reply?

Quote:
Their chief is blind; because of his power and his ignorance and his arrogance he said, with his power, "It is I who am God; there is none apart from me." When he said this, he sinned against the entirety. And this speech got up to incorruptibility; then there was a voice that came forth from incorruptibility, saying, "You are mistaken, Samael" - which is, "god of the blind."
-The Hypostasis of the Archons

The god of the Old Testament, the blind creator, the Tyrannt, Satan, Saklas, Samael, Yaldabaoth, the child-god, etc etc etc is someone who is not to be loved in any way shape or form.

Murder, genocide, oppression, these are the things that he exists to do. He created us to exist in his cold iron prison and suffer for his amusement and kiss his giant celestial rump (i.e., worship him)

To worship Yaldabaoth is to turn one's back on Christ, the son of GOD, the true unknowable GREAT LIGHT which is beyond this world and beyond creation and, especially, beyond the Tyrannt called Satan, Yahweh, Allah, etc.

It is only to Christ, and his mother/father that I owe my allegiance, not to some cruel Tyrannt above.

Quote:
The world has become the Aeon (eternal realm), for the Aeon is fullness for him. This is the way it is: it is revealed to him alone, not hidden in the darkness and the night, but hidden in a perfect day and a holy light.
-Gospel of Philip

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times

Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Jesus is God. If you love and accept Jesus, then you must also love and accept God in the OT. HotinAZ has a point. We don't fully understand God's ways or whys. If we have a problem with what's detailed and described in the OT it is our problem, not His. He had his reasons. His ways are right and just. Nothing was/is done because of whimsy on the part of God.

I love God - period. OT or NT it is the same God.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
But the descriptions. motives and acts assigned to God are NOT. It is those that are in dispute based on the propensity for primitives of that era to assign EVERYTHING that happened to God . . . with motives like their human rulers. That lack of discrimination is hardly to be trusted nor revered in this day and age . . . we SHOULD know better and be able to discriminate for them.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Jesus is God. If you love and accept Jesus, then you must also love and accept God in the OT. HotinAZ has a point. We don't fully understand God's ways or whys. If we have a problem with what's detailed and described in the OT it is our problem, not His. He had his reasons. His ways are right and just. Nothing was/is done because of whimsy on the part of God.

Quote:
And the Lord would not have said "My Father who is in Heaven" unless he had had another father, but he would have said simply "My father".
-Gospel of Philip

Quote:
Listen to my words, my son Seth. When God had created me out of the earth, along with Eve, your mother, I went about with her in a glory which she had seen in the aeon from which we had come forth. She taught me a word of knowledge of the eternal God. And we resembled the great eternal angels, for we were higher than the god who had created us and the powers with him, whom we did not know.
-The Apocalypse of Adam

This is why the loving GOD of Christ is not the angry, petty, jealous god of the OT, because they are two different beings. The god of the OT, called Satan in the NT, appeared to Christ and offered him the entire world (Matthew 4:7) ...now, how could Satan offer Christ that which he did not own?

To worship Yaldabaoth is to folly, for he does not love anything but his own ego and remains ignorant of the glory of Heaven. Seek GOD without and within, and not in the god of the OT...

Quote:
Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.
When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."
Gospel of Thomas, 3

Quote:
Jesus said, "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained.
Split a piece of wood; I am there.
Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."
Gospel of Thomas, 77

When I pray, I pray to the fullness of the unknowable FATHER, who becomes known to us through the living word of Christ...

"for it is to you, ohh great LIGHT before all, after all, within all...known and unknown, first last never and always...beyond this world and greater than this world...as far beyond me as the stars are to a grain of sand and as close to me as a blanket on a cold winter's night of the creator's prison. You alone are the one worthy of praise, and it is to you, ohh heavenly mother/father, that I offer my praise.

Give me the wisdom to return to you in glory, in this life and the next through the living wisdom of your son, Jesus Christ.

As within as without, as above as below, Amen"

Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
and why you might ask. bek of the 3 archangeles i like michael and rafael the best.
dont get me wrong i like gabriel too, but he is pretty much new testament. you see michael a lot in the old.
we are way overdue for a visit from michael.
its reward and punishment not just reward. we got way off the freeway bout 40 years ago.
dr spock lied.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:54 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:

AMEN! He said in Isaiah 43:10 There is no other God, there never has been and never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity