Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

The system of American slavery tore families and communities apart and the effects are unfortunately still being felt today. It was degrading in that people were treated as cattle, even worse, due to the color of their skin. It elevated one group people over another based on physical characteristics and bred ignorance and hatred. African Americans who were slaves were not even considered to be human by some groups. I believe that all things that happen have a purpose in the plan of God, both good and bad, and that lessons are to be learned as a result. God bless and peace.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
The slave business in America was ended back in 65 (1865), so I'm not sure why this should be such a serious topic. I don't care to get side tracked on such issues, but want to help those who might have trouble dealing with it, even though it hasn't been here in a long time.
You might want to check out Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II by Douglas Blackmon

Amazon Link

After reading, you may want to reconsider your statement.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I have no thoughts about God's ordination of American Slavery, except, that God was certainly not surprised by it ... or helpless to abolish it.

But, there is an interesting and similar scriptural perspective regarding the 'enslavement' of 'Israel' in Egypt for 430 years. When Israel and his family went to Egypt (Joseph, during the great famine) ... the family/tribe was probably 70 strong. They would likely have not survived the famine, much less the onslaughts of warring tribes. 430 years later, when 'Israel' came out of Egypt, they numbered over 600K (men only) and were capable of establishing a relatively large and wealthy nation in Canaan. Although they were in slavery (for about 100 of the 430 years), God used that 'slavery' to preserve the nation of Israel.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The system of American slavery tore families and communities apart and the effects are unfortunately still being felt today. It was degrading in that people were treated as cattle, even worse, due to the color of their skin. It elevated one group people over another based on physical characteristics and bred ignorance and hatred. African Americans who were slaves were not even considered to be human by some groups. I believe that all things that happen have a purpose in the plan of God, both good and bad, and that lessons are to be learned as a result. God bless and peace.
IMHO the lesson to be learned is that the message of Jesus is clear as a bell, and yet so many can be so easily distracted by their own hatred.
'
That is why I always ask?? "What is the message of Jesus ????"

How can any Christian justify slavery? Especially Anglo-Saxonian slavery? If you can, you are NOT a Christian, IMHO. You are just a pretender. Too bad there ain't no hell. Hope it takes only once to pass your age long correction test.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I have no thoughts about God's ordination of American Slavery, except, that God was certainly not surprised by it ... or helpless to abolish it.
Not surprised, but certainly disappointed that so called Christians wallowed in His words to justify it. Damn that fee will stuff, having to sit back and watch those who pervert His words to justify any thing or the other.......

Old 06-10-2012, 01:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
There are probably few peoples more enslaved than common Americans. We begged for slavery, we worked hard for slavery, and we are enslaved.

Biblical slavery within Israel was mainly to provide a way for a debtor to repay a debt.

We Americans in the U.S. are in debt. We are in debt because we had to have everything right now. What my generation and before worked hard for, waited for, applied ourselves to, the younger generation had to have right now, so they used the credit cards that credit companies supplied to high school seniors, who had no reasoning power to realize that they would end up paying $100 for that $10 hamburger meal they bought with a card -- by the magic of debt, interest, penalties, and debt consolidation.

Biblical salvery within Israel was also a mode of employment for those who were not self-employed, so they served a master.

Today, our masters' names are IBM, Telecom, Bank of America, Michael's Arts and Crafts, Sears, Wendy's, Avon, Edith's Latte and Bakery -- anyone who will employ us.

Of course, there were other modes of slavery, but these are the same as what we gladly submit to today -- and brag about it! I am So Happy that I, as a 63-year-old woman, have been employed for the last 8 years after being a mother and grandmother and not being employed most of those years. People in biblical times would have been similarly overjoyed to be employed -- uh, enslaved.

Biblical slavery had regulations for Israel that kept observant Jews from having the same slavery as the pegans of that time. Gentile slavery was often cruel, mean, miserable, and with little interest of sustaining life. G-d commanded Israel that they would not be like the heathen. Slaves in Israel got every Sabbath off, for example, while slaves of other peoples got no days off. Slaves in Israel had to be freed in the Jubilee year. Slaves in other nations were usually worked to death.

Slaves in the U.S. were lucky to get a decent "master," and even so, it would be a very rare "master" who would give a hoot what the Bible says about giving them Sabbath off or setting them free in a Jubilee year.

Biblical slavery.

American slavery.

They would not deserve a place on the same line of a writing.

Have a mortgage? You are enslaved.

Have a car loan? You are enslaved.

Have a credit card with a balance you carry over? You are enslaved.

Have a school debt? You are enslaved.

Have a job? You are enslaved, and you'd better be glad you are. Suck it up and give it your best. Freedom is costly.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
No. Jewish enslavement (and American enslavement) had little to do with debts. It was Bible and Church sanctioned ownership of people as property

Leviticus 25:44-46 "As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness. " (NRSV)

Pope Pius' teaching in Instruction of the Holy Office, 1866
Slavery itself, considered as such in its essential nature, is not at all contrary to the natural and divine law…. It is not contrary to the natural and divine law for a slave to be sold, bought, exchanged or given."

Last edited by ancient warrior; 06-10-2012 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: remove [size]

Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
when I visited St Andrews in Scotland I went to the abbeys graveyard to look at tombstones.. one was a slave trader who had died young, and his body brought back from Jamaica.. seems it was nothing to be ashamed of in those times as they had put it on the stone. shameful.... and this was god fearing people.. sickening.. even in Glasgow there were slaves in posh homes. one painting of Glassfords family, in our Peoples Palace museum in Glasgow has the coloured slave painted out.. I have a photograph of this that Ill put on later.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
We Americans in the U.S. are in debt. We are in debt because we had to have everything right now. What my generation and before worked hard for, waited for, applied ourselves to, the younger generation had to have right now, so they used the credit cards that credit companies supplied to high school seniors, who had no reasoning power to realize that they would end up paying $100 for that $10 hamburger meal they bought with a card -- by the magic of debt, interest, penalties, and debt consolidation.
And why do you think the younger generation is this way? Could it be the generation before (yours..the parents) allowed it to happen? Who spoiled this generation and gave them an example to follow?

Quote:
Today, our masters' names are IBM, Telecom, Bank of America, Michael's Arts and Crafts, Sears, Wendy's, Avon, Edith's Latte and Bakery -- anyone who will employ us.
That may be the modern name. But I call it greed and ignorance. A lot of people are slaves to the government and they don`t even realize it. The more power we give to the government, the stronger it becomes. The more we become dependent on the government for the necessities of life, the more we become dependent on them to take care of us. Slowly over years, a generation of slaves to the governemnt is formed. All disguised as help and honorable. So we vote people into office who promise us free stuff. Again, in the guise of being good. But that is how it works. People are duped into believing they are being helped. Which for a generation or two, may seem like a good thing. But one day, we will wake up and realized what has happened. The sad part is..it`s through our ignorance and selfisheness that we ALLOW it to happen.

It`s just not individual Americans who are slaves to either government or big business. Our contry as a whole is so far in debt, it is doubtful it can ever be repaid. So our country in turn becomes a slave to the owners of our debt. But we as individuals don`t care. We just want to keep on spending. It was greed and ignorance that brought slavery to America and it`s greed and ignorance that is her downfall. This young country will crumble from within, just like the mighty nations before her. Not in our lifetime and maybe not in our children`s. But eventually I believe it will happen.Thank God, he is in control and not man.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
when I visited St Andrews in Scotland I went to the abbeys graveyard to look at tombstones.. one was a slave trader who had died young, and his body brought back from Jamaica.. seems it was nothing to be ashamed of in those times as they had put it on the stone. shameful.... and this was god fearing people.. sickening.. even in Glasgow there were slaves in posh homes. one painting of Glassfords family, in our Peoples Palace museum in Glasgow has the coloured slave painted out.. I have a photograph of this that Ill put on later.
Most of the peoples of the world have been slaves at some point in history...Jews, Poles, Scots, Irish, you name it.... whether European, Arab, African etc. and most have been slave owners at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.