Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:53 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,932 times

Advertisements

So is it me or what, but why are church folks such hypocrites? I mean really. For example why is it we can never ever ask the kind of controversial questions we ask here at church? The church should be equipped to answer these questions. Why is it heretic to voice doubts and questions that a fellow believer or non believer for that matter may have? Why shove them under the carpet? Is that not phoney? I wont even go into the exclusivity, the being all nice attitude, and not listening, I mean really really really listening, rather than just having the LETS CHANGE EM OR CONVERT EM agenda and attitude they have to any non believer that comes to them. I mean for cryin out loud is this the Gospel of Christ or what? I dont think so. Or am I wrong here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,405,115 times
Hey TimothyLogan I know what you mean. I don't go to church anymore, but when I did I couldn't get over how judgemental they were. For a group of folks who say not to judge others they sure were off the chain! For example, they decided that going to the beach (to swim with others) was wrong therefore church "members" were really looked down upon and chastised for going there.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,107,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
For example why is it we can never ever ask the kind of controversial questions we ask here at church? ........

Or am I wrong here?

There is a time and place for everything.
Sunday morning "worship" service is for...well...worship.

However a nightly "bible study" is a great time to ask questions and learn answers.

a funeral is for the loved ones , to give them comfort in their loss....not really the time to ask a question about the meaning of "transubstantiation"

The Bible says there is a time for everything, and so there is a time for questions and speaking up...
But there is also a time for not...

If you have a question that you would like a real flesh and blood person to talk to you about, Im sure with a little checking that a time can be found...

Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times
Quote:
So is it me or what, but why are church folks such hypocrites? I mean really. For example why is it we can never ever ask the kind of controversial questions we ask here at church? The church should be equipped to answer these questions. Why is it heretic to voice doubts and questions that a fellow believer or non believer for that matter may have? Why shove them under the carpet? Is that not phoney? I wont even go into the exclusivity, the being all nice attitude, and not listening, I mean really really really listening, rather than just having the LETS CHANGE EM OR CONVERT EM agenda and attitude they have to any non believer that comes to them. I mean for cryin out loud is this the Gospel of Christ or what? I dont think so. Or am I wrong here?

This has not been my experience.
I've had many stimulating debates with priests, monks, sisters, and fellow layman.
I always felt it was encouraged.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Hey TimothyLogan I know what you mean. I don't go to church anymore, but when I did I couldn't get over how judgemental they were. For a group of folks who say not to judge others they sure were off the chain! For example, they decided that going to the beach (to swim with others) was wrong therefore church "members" were really looked down upon and chastised for going there.
When "man made" doctrine takes hold of a church...it's time to run as far away as you can get.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
There is a time and place for everything.
Sunday morning "worship" service is for...well...worship.

However a nightly "bible study" is a great time to ask questions and learn answers.

a funeral is for the loved ones , to give them comfort in their loss....not really the time to ask a question about the meaning of "transubstantiation"

The Bible says there is a time for everything, and so there is a time for questions and speaking up...
But there is also a time for not...

If you have a question that you would like a real flesh and blood person to talk to you about, Im sure with a little checking that a time can be found...
Yet all of those places/times are perfect for teaching the damnation and process of going to hell for eternity!

Kinda hypocritical....

Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,309,020 times
Quote:
I know what you mean, but you must understand that everyone in the church is not saved filled with the Holy Spirit and following after Christ.

Satan and demons attend church, so there are some people who are there who are actually not following Christ.

But it doesn't matter what people say, everyone in the church have flaws and problems. There is no one perfect but Christ, and we have flaws.

I see church as a med clinic, some are sick, some are dieing, some are happy, some are mad, some have the mind of Christ, some are carnal, some are immature, some are mature. So, just because someone attends church does not mean anything.

Some of your worst people attend church and then go home to do their sin all over again.

I attend church every sunday, but I still have flaws and I still make mistakes. But a follower of Christ will seek to be like their Savior daily and try to look like Him. Others who are in the church who are carnal or immature will not care to look like Christ and only want to attend church without ever changing. It is sad, but most people see the carnal Christians who are immature and think that they represent the church.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I know what you mean, but you must understand that everyone in the church is not saved filled with the Holy Spirit and following after Christ.

Satan and demons attend church, so there are some people who are there who are actually not following Christ.

But it doesn't matter what people say, everyone in the church have flaws and problems. There is no one perfect but Christ, and we have flaws.

I see church as a med clinic, some are sick, some are dieing, some are happy, some are mad, some have the mind of Christ, some are carnal, some are immature, some are mature. So, just because someone attends church does not mean anything.

Some of your worst people attend church and then go home to do their sin all over again.

I attend church every sunday, but I still have flaws and I still make mistakes. But a follower of Christ will seek to be like their Savior daily and try to look like Him. Others who are in the church who are carnal or immature will not care to look like Christ and only want to attend church without ever changing. It is sad, but most people see the carnal Christians who are immature and think that they represent the church.
So it is only those members that are immature, carnal, or demons that are hypocrites? That seems like an excuse not really a reason. The most pious of ministers have been known to turn someone away just because of the exclusivity of the congregation.

I know of a church down the street from me who's minister sided with the non-adulterous spouse in a divorce and advocated the keeping of their children from the adulterous spouse and banned him from participating in church. The adulterous spouse then locked himself in the car in the church parking lot and blew his brains all over the place before church started...

LOVELY! Perhaps had the minister not been so judgmental about other people's affairs (no pun intended) it would not have ended with the death of one of them.... The pastor could have reached out to the one who was lost rather than telling him that God only loved the other spouse.

But then that is just my opinion!

Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,309,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So it is only those members that are immature, carnal, or demons that are hypocrites? That seems like an excuse not really a reason. The most pious of ministers have been known to turn someone away just because of the exclusivity of the congregation.

I know of a church down the street from me who's minister sided with the non-adulterous spouse in a divorce and advocated the keeping of their children from the adulterous spouse and banned him from participating in church. The adulterous spouse then locked himself in the car in the church parking lot and blew his brains all over the place before church started...

LOVELY! Perhaps had the minister not been so judgmental about other people's affairs (no pun intended) it would not have ended with the death of one of them.... The pastor could have reached out to the one who was lost rather than telling him that God only loved the other spouse.

But then that is just my opinion!
This sounds like a typical argument. If the minister did such then He was being disobedient and was not doing what God was commanding Him to do. Simple as that.

Ministers are going to be judged more severly because of the position that they are in. A minister is not suppose to comdemn the people of His church because that is His flock in the church. He is to oversee the church, not to look down on them. Now, if He rebukes them and corrects them, that is another story, but if he is acting out of character then God will judge him for his error.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
This sounds like a typical argument. If the minister did such then He was being disobedient and was not doing what God was commanding Him to do. Simple as that.

Ministers are going to be judged more severly because of the position that they are in. A minister is not suppose to comdemn the people of His church because that is His flock in the church. He is to oversee the church, not to look down on them. Now, if He rebukes them and corrects them, that is another story, but if he is acting out of character then God will judge him for his error.
Well then... I guess the minister of the church who said that because one guy wasn't following the church to the letter he would not have access to the charity of the church (food) and so his family became hungry and homeless was also just a bad seed!

Or how about the pastor that told my parents to marry at 19 so that I wouldn't be a bastard, then condemned them to 14 years of hell and his own counseling and all the while taking their money... was also just a bad seed...

Or the employee of the church who was fired for falling on hard times because her husband was laid off and they were not able to pay full tithes....

I could go on but as you can see... these are NOT isolated instances!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity