Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:55 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That's exactly correct....Mike is just so busy getting his teaching from "men" instead of studying these things for himself...he just doesn't see that he may be wrong about a few things...and I use that term "few" loosely.
NOPE! It's even in the footnotes of the Scofield Reference Bible.

Entos- In the midst of.

And it's translated that way in a number of translations, including the NAVS Translation.

Heck, even the King James has a notation that it can mean 'among you.'

I do realize the need for some to deny that however, in order to not jeopardize their views. So carry on. Have fun with it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
ahhh Scofield....another product of Darby...the truth of men....when all else fails SOLA SCRIPTURA

Old 10-21-2009, 05:20 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Mike,

How do you feel anout the Syriac in regards to the Book of Revelation?
I'm quite sure Mike would call that the....B word....because it would refute all of his dispensensationalist views.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
NOPE! It's even in the footnotes of the Scofield Reference Bible.

Entos- In the midst of.

And it's translated that way in a number of translations, including the NAVS Translation.

Heck, even the King James has a notation that it can mean 'among you.'

I do realize the need for some to deny that however, in order to not jeopardize their views. So carry on. Have fun with it!!!
Entos is used twice in the NT..

Matt. 23:46 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

The word in bold is the word entos... it is absurd to say that the verse should be read.. first clean in the midst of the cup and dish, and then the outside (ektos) also will be clean.... We can see that entos and ektos are opposites and translated correctly here.

Obviously entos and ektos are opposites.

Hope this helps..

Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'm quite sure Mike would call that the....B word....because it would refute all of his dispensensationalist views.
Yes the most ancient copy of the book, and dispy's can't swallow it. Unfortunate....one day...maybe after 2012?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:29 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Yes the most ancient copy of the book, and dispy's can't swallow it. Unfortunate....one day...maybe after 2012?
I'm quite sure they already have a new Rapture date lined up when that one doesn't pan out.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
From the Septuagint:

Dan 9:24-27

24Seventy weeks have been determined upon thy people, and upon the holy city, for sin to be ended, and to seal up transgressions, and to blot out the iniquities, and to make atonement for iniquities, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal the vision and the prophet, and to anoint the Most Holy.
25 And thou shalt know and understand, that from the going forth of the command for the answer and for the building of Jerusalem until Christ the prince there shall be seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks; and then the time shall return, and the street shall be built, and the wall, and the times shall be exhausted.
26 And after the sixty-two weeks, the anointed one shall be destroyed, and there is no judgment in him: and he shall destroy the city and the sanctuary with the prince that is coming: they shall be cut off with a flood, and to the end of the war which is rapidly completed he shall appoint the city to desolations.
27 And one week shall establish the covenant with many: and in the midst (etnos) of the week my sacrifice and drink-offering shall be taken away: and on the temple shall be the abomination of desolations; and at the end of time an end shall be put to the desolation.

Who do you think this sacrifice is speaking of?

Isa 53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken

Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
At first, I thought you were asking me a question, but then you listed the Isa. and Matt. verses so I thought maybe you were trying to make a point. I'm still not sure.

Anyway, after sitting down and waiting to see if God would give me an answer right out of the blue, because as we all know, we are not to get any answers from men; you know what? Nothing happened! And since I don't have an original thought in my head, I had no choice but to go to one of my sources. And so, the answer that I am going to parrot to you is ...uh, okay I'm just amusing myself here.

Serious answer is that Dan. 9:27 is referring to Christ and to His sacrifice, confirming the New Covenent, and putting an end to the Jewish rites and Levitical offerings.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Entos is used twice in the NT..

Matt. 23:46 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

The word in bold is the word entos... it is absurd to say that the verse should be read.. first clean in the midst of the cup and dish, and then the outside (ektos) also will be clean.... We can see that entos and ektos are opposites and translated correctly here.

Obviously entos and ektos are opposites.

Hope this helps..
Be honest now. entos translated as ''within'' is used only twice in the New Testament.

But entos when used in conjunction with a plural noun means ''among, '' or ''in the midst of.'' Luke 17:21 is used in conjunction with ''you''. And is translated as ''in the midst of. ''

Now I know that preterists must deny anything and everything that threatens their view. And I understand that. It is difficult to let go of cherished views, no matter how unfounded they are. And I further know that when that viewpoint is threatened, many people must resort to ridicule of anything that theatens that false belief.

Now another thing that a preterest must ignore or deny is that Christ had offered the Kingdom to Israel. Had Israel accepted Christ as the Messiah, He still would have had to have gone to the Cross. But after that, He could have established the political Millennial kingdom right then and there. Now, Jesus had always known that Israel was going to reject Him. But in order for Israel to make that choice, the offer had to be made.

He told them that the kingdom is 'in the midst of you.' And then when Israel did reject Him, Christ then began to turn His attention to the soon to come church age. This is when He began to speak in parables in public when addressing Israel. And the Millennial Kingdom was pushed into the future after the end of the coming Church age.

Now, none of this is going to be accepted by the preteristic mind. This is almost a certainty. But there may be someone reading this that will benefit by this knowledge and that is why I am posting it. As well as to assist the preterists in locking themselves ever tighter into their deception because of their rejection of the truth.

So, I want all the preterists who see this to have fun with it. Have a blast, have a ball. Enjoy yourselves silly over it.

Oh yes. Anyone who is interested in the truth can simply Google (''Can entos mean ['in the midst of']),'' and find the answer there.

Y'all have fun now.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Be honest now. entos translated as ''within'' is used only twice in the New Testament.
No... entos is only USED twice in the NT. Not translated as within twice but USED twice.. in both instances it SHOULD be translated as within.
Quote:
But entos when used in conjunction with a plural noun means ''among, '' or ''in the midst of.'' Luke 17:21 is used in conjunction with ''you''. And is translated as ''in the midst of. ''
Entos is an adverb which is describing the who, what, why, how, or when...

Entos can be translated as "in the midst of" but then it is grammatically correct to assert that the kingdom is Jesus himself who is talking. Because it is Jesus who is "in the midst" of the group of Pharisees. But it makes no sense whatsoever to say that the kingdom will be in the midst of them in the future as that is not what the verse grammatically suggest.

Besides the fact that Jesus states that the kingdom would come without observation in verse 20.. does that mean sneakily? or is that refering to invisibly? Well the root of the word used for observation means Ocular evidence so I would say that it means invisibly rather than sneakily, in which case the adverb is better translated "within as something invisible" rather than "in the midst of as something visible."

The other evidence is in the way "in the midst" is written by Luke in chapter 4 verse 30 as mesou. There is little doubt that if the author had wanted to convey "in the midst," he would have used the word mesou not entos.

Quote:
Now I know that preterists must deny anything and everything that threatens their view. And I understand that. It is difficult to let go of cherished views, no matter how unfounded they are. And I further know that when that viewpoint is threatened, many people must resort to ridicule of anything that theatens that false belief.
I don't cling to any view. I was called preterist by some when I expressed my view of end times but I am not defending it by saying that entos means within. I am arguing the point because it is the correct translation. Jesus clearly states that the kingdom comes without observation, and so if it were to come in the midst of people it would be observed.

Quote:
Now another thing that a preterest must ignore or deny is that Christ had offered the Kingdom to Israel. Had Israel accepted Christ as the Messiah, He still would have had to have gone to the Cross. But after that, He could have established the political Millennial kingdom right then and there. Now, Jesus had always known that Israel was going to reject Him. But in order for Israel to make that choice, the offer had to be made.
First.. it was God's plan to save people, not Jesus' so if Israel had accepted him as the messiah, you are saying that he would have led them to conquer their enemies as they thought he would do, right?

Yet on the road to Emmaus the two guys say (v. 21) " but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place."
But Christ corrects them calling them foolish...and explains what the prophets said beginning with Moses.. It is written in Genesis:
Genesis 12:3 And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

All families will be blessed! So the promise never applied to only Israel but all families of the earth! They were offered it first because of their covenant but the plan has always been to redeem all mankind.

Quote:
He told them that the kingdom is 'in the midst of you.' And then when Israel did reject Him, Christ then began to turn His attention to the soon to come church age. This is when He began to speak in parables in public when addressing Israel. And the Millennial Kingdom was pushed into the future after the end of the coming Church age.
It is your line of thought that Jesus himself called foolish.

Quote:
Now, none of this is going to be accepted by the preteristic mind. This is almost a certainty. But there may be someone reading this that will benefit by this knowledge and that is why I am posting it. As well as to assist the preterists in locking themselves ever tighter into their deception because of their rejection of the truth.

So, I want all the preterists who see this to have fun with it. Have a blast, have a ball. Enjoy yourselves silly over it.

Oh yes. Anyone who is interested in the truth can simply Google (''Can entos mean ['in the midst of']),'' and find the answer there.

Y'all have fun now.
It isn't about preterism. It is about literalism. You deny preterism because you are a literalist. You believe that the bible should be taken literally unless it is explicitly shown to be otherwise.. so have fun with this:

Luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. (see also Luke 6:35 and Matt. 5:42)

I ask that you send me all your money from this day forward.. I will give you my address. I take checks but not credit cards.. cash is not safe in the mail so a check will be fine.

Jesus said it so you LITERALLY should if you LITERALLY follow what Jesus said.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
No... entos is only USED twice in the NT. Not translated as within twice but USED twice.. in both instances it SHOULD be translated as within.
Entos is an adverb which is describing the who, what, why, how, or when...

Entos can be translated as "in the midst of" but then it is grammatically correct to assert that the kingdom is Jesus himself who is talking. Because it is Jesus who is "in the midst" of the group of Pharisees. But it makes no sense whatsoever to say that the kingdom will be in the midst of them in the future as that is not what the verse grammatically suggest.

Besides the fact that Jesus states that the kingdom would come without observation in verse 20.. does that mean sneakily? or is that refering to invisibly? Well the root of the word used for observation means Ocular evidence so I would say that it means invisibly rather than sneakily, in which case the adverb is better translated "within as something invisible" rather than "in the midst of as something visible."

The other evidence is in the way "in the midst" is written by Luke in chapter 4 verse 30 as mesou. There is little doubt that if the author had wanted to convey "in the midst," he would have used the word mesou not entos.

I don't cling to any view. I was called preterist by some when I expressed my view of end times but I am not defending it by saying that entos means within. I am arguing the point because it is the correct translation. Jesus clearly states that the kingdom comes without observation, and so if it were to come in the midst of people it would be observed.

First.. it was God's plan to save people, not Jesus' so if Israel had accepted him as the messiah, you are saying that he would have led them to conquer their enemies as they thought he would do, right?

Yet on the road to Emmaus the two guys say (v. 21) " but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place."
But Christ corrects them calling them foolish...and explains what the prophets said beginning with Moses.. It is written in Genesis:
Genesis 12:3 And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

All families will be blessed! So the promise never applied to only Israel but all families of the earth! They were offered it first because of their covenant but the plan has always been to redeem all mankind.

It is your line of thought that Jesus himself called foolish.

It isn't about preterism. It is about literalism. You deny preterism because you are a literalist. You believe that the bible should be taken literally unless it is explicitly shown to be otherwise.. so have fun with this:

Luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. (see also Luke 6:35 and Matt. 5:42)

I ask that you send me all your money from this day forward.. I will give you my address. I take checks but not credit cards.. cash is not safe in the mail so a check will be fine.

Jesus said it so you LITERALLY should if you LITERALLY follow what Jesus said.
Nope! Go into:

Grammatical Error (Forerunner Commentary) :: Bible Tools

Luke 17:21 (King James Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

And of course Jesus is referring to Himself. He is the King. Therefore, 'the kingdom is in your midst.'

Now just take the next step and realize that He did not say that the Kingdom of God is in you. He was talking to the Pharisees. They were His bitter enemies. The kingdom of God was certainly not in the Pharisees.

Your choice is to believe what it says or don't believe what it says. Denial of what it says, does not make it go away.

But if you want to deny it, have fun doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity