Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times

Advertisements

This thread has been interesting. Free will and all.

I believe that the Arminians were considered "heretics" at one point or was it the Calvinists?

And I believed the Catholics denounced the lot of them as deserving of fire.

Sigh......

WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED?

(How exactly was the number of saved innumerable again?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 03:01 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
I think if everybody had their ten cents worth on what must i do to be saved this could quite possibly be the longest thread ever. Believe and..... choose and.... accept and ........ , fill in the blanks at your leisure.

The first thing to understand is that it was the Jailer who said "What must I" and not the Holy Spirit, you see "What must I" is the carnal minded man's natural assumption to salvation .

If you read Saul's conversion, the only thing the Lord told him to do was go to the City (Shock horror)

Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Quote:
Phil 1:29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him , but also to suffer for him

God is the one who draws and enables someone to come to Jesus (John 6:44, 6:65).
God is the one who gives faith (Romans 12:3, Eph 2:8).
God is the one who grants belief (Phil 1:29).
God is the one who leads a person to repent (Romans 2:4, 2 Tim 2:25).
God is the one who works in a believer to act according to His purpose (Phil 2:13).

SALVATION IS A COMPLETE WORK OF GOD.

Understand yet? God decides when you will be saved. Not the other way around.
And according to Universalism . . . God Decided Everyone Will be Saved . . .so how we are saved or why, or free will, or making a statement of Faith in His Son . . . under Unviersalism, really doesn't matter . . .???
NO IT IS NOT ACCORDING TO UNIVERSALISM. It is according to scripture. Read the scriptures I posted above.

Of course it matters, because God not only decided when people would be saved, but how they would be saved. God ordains the outcome AND the means that people would come to Him. And God ordains it to happen this way for a purpose-- So we would LEARN a few things: things like humility, patience, mercy, compassion, etc.

God uses the foolishness of preaching to reach them that would believe.

1 Cor 1:21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

If we didn't preach it, someone else would.

But lifesigns, you should research Calvinism a bit more. The Calvinists do get some things right, namely that God is in control of salvation, and that He ordains the means and circumstances through which someone is saved. God works all things according to His purpose.

Salvation is a COMPLETE work of God, so none can boast. Do you believe this lifesigns?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
And according to Universalism . . . God Decided Everyone Will be Saved . . .so how we are saved or why, or free will, or making a statement of Faith in His Son . . . under Unviersalism, really doesn't matter . . .???
Yes, according to UR everyone is saved. I was just wondering when God saved Hitler. Was it before he shot his wife and himself, or after it.

The Bible says YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN in order to be saved.

The question "what must I do to be saved" was asked in the Bible. See below, and note that the answer was not "don't worry about it, everyone is automatically saved, as teached by the false religions.

Acts 16:25-33 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. 26Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose. 27The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. 28But Paul shouted, "Don't harm yourself! We are all here!"

29The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

31They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." 32Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-27-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It doesnt? God said that salvation is thru His Son. Tell me how does universalism change that?
1. It changes how one should respond to the message of the cross. The alternative message is that UR declares that Romans 8:8 is not true.... Those who do obvious acts of the sinful nature can please God and will not reap destruction [as defined by Jesus in Rev]

2. It offers an extension of time of grace beyond what God offers
__________________________________________________ ________________
Galatians 5:24
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

"Sin makes you a slave". John 8:34
"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious" Galatians 5:18-20
"Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God." Romans 8:8

_______________The end result is not UR:___________________

"The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction;" Galatians 6:8

Revelation 21:8
"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

"All" is not to be understood that all will be universally saved when Jesus qualifies it in other scriptures with the word "but"

The deception is that UR offers salvation to those in Galatians 5:18-20 and Revelation 21:8 when Jesus and God does not.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\
after thought:

This was written not to convince the unconvincable, the un-willing, for someone's entertainment [kat],.....I know where your positions are. This was to witness to the the truth, for all of God's Word is true...not just the one's that have the word "all" in them....especially 1 Tim 2:4

If you disagree with all of God's Word....that's between you and God.

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-27-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Guys, this is not another thread about UR.

This is about salvation, and how it is a COMPLETE work of God. Its all done by God, from start to finish. Otherwise we could BOAST about it.

If God wants to save you, He will do it. If God doesn't want to save you, you won't be saved.

God is the one who provided the atonement for our sins in Jesus (1 John 2:2).
God is the one who draws and enables someone to come to Jesus (John 6:44, 6:65).
God is the one who gives faith (Romans 12:3, Eph 2:8).
God is the one who opens or closes eyes so that people can see.
God is the one who grants belief (Phil 1:29).
God is the one who leads a person to repent (Romans 2:4, 2 Tim 2:25).
God is the one who works in a believer to act according to His purpose (Phil 2:13).

Scripture is clear. I don't know how you guys can keep denying it and say it is your "own" choice that leads to your salvation. You would have never made that choice to believe if God had not given you faith, opened your eyes, and granted you belief.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This thread has been interesting. Free will and all.

I believe that the Arminians were considered "heretics" at one point or was it the Calvinists?

And I believed the Catholics denounced the lot of them as deserving of fire.

Sigh......

WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED?

(How exactly was the number of saved innumerable again?)
Matt 6:30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

1 Peter 1:24 For, "ALL FLESH IS LIKE GRASS, AND ALL ITS GLORY LIKE THE FLOWER OF GRASS. THE GRASS WITHERS, AND THE FLOWER FALLS OFF,

Romans 12:3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

1 Pet. 4:18 And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Proverbs 11:31 If the righteous will be rewarded in the earth, How much more the wicked and the sinner!

Rewards on earth not after death right?

If it is so hard for the righteous to be saved ... Then God had to make a way for even the hardest of hearts to be saved... That way was to give mercy to ALL...

Old 03-27-2010, 10:32 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
NO IT IS NOT ACCORDING TO UNIVERSALISM. It is according to scripture. Read the scriptures I posted above.

Of course it matters, because God not only decided when people would be saved, but how they would be saved. God ordains the outcome AND the means that people would come to Him. And God ordains it to happen this way for a purpose-- So we would LEARN a few things: things like humility, patience, mercy, compassion, etc.

God uses the foolishness of preaching to reach them that would believe.

1 Cor 1:21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

If we didn't preach it, someone else would.

But lifesigns, you should research Calvinism a bit more. The Calvinists do get some things right, namely that God is in control of salvation, and that He ordains the means and circumstances through which someone is saved. God works all things according to His purpose.

Salvation is a COMPLETE work of God, so none can boast. Do you believe this lifesigns?
This is not about Calvinism, which I did research, and also belonged to a Calvinistic Baptist Church for a short time . .

Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It doesnt? God said that salvation is thru His Son. Tell me how does universalism change that?
How is Salvation through Jesus . . . .????

We agree that Salvation having to do with Jesus Christ.

For believers, we believe he is the Messiah . . . . .

Jesus was asked repeatedly, what must a person do to gain salvation??????

Do???? A person must do??????

He gave the answers . . .

Why did Jesus come and go through a horrendous violent death?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
This is not about Calvinism, which I did research, and also belonged to a Calvinistic Baptist Church for a short time . .
Yes I know its not about Calvinism. They do get some things right though, namely that salvation is a complete work of God. Nothing in ourself saves us.

Lifesigns, you would not have believed had God not granted it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity