Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM

17 posts, read 22,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You are really saved when you first believed and then stand before man and confess that Jesus is Lord and your deliverer. Salvation is a action word.
Salvation is of the Lord not our confession. Salvation is all for the Glory of God for himself, by himself through himself. Who are we to deem anyone saved because of some confession? That is indeed the jugement of God who sets in place his spirit on you and writes his law on your heart.

Our confessions stand for nothing when it is not backed by Grace through Faith which God has given us as a free gift so that we may not boast (of our own works and ability). So, our salvation is never dependant on our manly confessions but God's mercy, God's Grace and God's choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 22,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
How can the warnings meant for the 1st century be meant for us too?
Because God is immutable

Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyluck View Post
Salvation is of the Lord not our confession. Salvation is all for the Glory of God for himself, by himself through himself. Who are we to deem anyone saved because of some confession? That is indeed the jugement of God who sets in place his spirit on you and writes his law on your heart.

Our confessions stand for nothing when it is not backed by Grace through Faith which God has given us as a free gift so that we may not boast (of our own works and ability). So, our salvation is never dependant on our manly confessions but God's mercy, God's Grace and God's choice.
AMEN! and Paul said:

"For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all." (Romans 11:32)

So that Grace is given to ALL MEN for his name's sake.

Psalm 106:8 Nevertheless He saved them for the sake of His name, That He might make His power known.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyluck View Post
Because God is immutable
Hebrews 6:17-18 Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable (immutable) things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.

In your opinion what the bible states is immutable or God's promise to save people from their sins is immutable?

Matt. 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.

Luke 12:6 "Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God.

Apparently Luke had a coupon for his sparrows.. yet do we even buy and sell sparrows today?

You must see that the whole bible was written in a different time and culture than ours today. We would say that analogy differently because we don't value sparrows in the same way. For a farmer it may be the corn is not forgotten.. or to a computer designer it is silicon that is not forgotten by God... but the actual purpose of the analogy DOES apply.

So when you say that certain things apply to us... I am saying they do not, yet the underlying teaching may apply.

Luke 5:41 Then Jesus ordered him, "Don't tell anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them."

Does this apply to us now? It didn't even apply to anyone after the death of Christ, right?

This is what I am saying.. the bible was not written to us now... it was written, read and acted upon by those in the 1st century long before all of it was put together for us to read.

There is application ... but saying there are deceivers in the world and to watch out for them because this verse or that verse says to is hardly accurate as the verse was not written to us.. it was written to them.

Once you read the bible in context (the first century) you will see that the part that is immutable is this:

1 Corinthians 13:13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Matthew 9:13 "But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Those two are most important.. Love God and Love one another as yourself.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,770,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
As in you don't have to believe in Jesus to be saved?
I just wanted to add that UR teaches that eventually all will come to Christ and bow before him and confess him willingly and joyously as their lord and savior, either in this life by baptism of the spirit, or in after the judgment when they have been baptized by fire ... One cannot be saved without first coming to accept Christ as savior, but we do not believe that one must accept Christ as savior before they die. UR teaches that Gods judgments are for the purpose of reconciling those who are so judged, to teach them righteousness ...

Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,891,768 times
How I see it:

The controversy between the Universalists, and the conventional concept of salvation (that only some will be saved) can be compared to a big league ball game. Let's say Jesus goes and talks to the game stadium management, and says "I will pay the entrance fee for ALL the people that are willing to come to the game, from here on out, for forever". So he gives the management a big blank check to cover the cost, backed up by the bank in heaven.

Then, when word gets out, some people go "Wow! A free game? For forever? Cool!...I'm going!"
Other people, upon hearing the word, go "that's garbage and bunk...nothing is free...I don't believe it, I'm not going..."

Likewise, the UR people are basically saying EVERYBODY is going to heaven, simply because the entry fee has been payed. However, while it is true that the entry fee has been payed for everyone, and that God has invited everyone to come, the problem is that many will not believe it, and therefore will not go...they won't show up. God is not going to "shove a gun in their back", and force them to go...

So it is with salvation: many simply refuse to believe, and will not enter in, despite the fact that Christ payed their way with his death and ressurrection on the cross. Sad...

Bud

Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,225,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
How I see it:

The controversy between the Universalists, and the conventional concept of salvation (that only some will be saved) can be compared to a big league ball game. Let's say Jesus goes and talks to the game stadium management, and says "I will pay the entrance fee for ALL the people that are willing to come to the game, from here on out, for forever". So he gives the management a big blank check to cover the cost, backed up by the bank in heaven.

Then, when word gets out, some people go "Wow! A free game? For forever? Cool!...I'm going!"
Other people, upon hearing the word, go "that's garbage and bunk...nothing is free...I don't believe it, I'm not going..."

Likewise, the UR people are basically saying EVERYBODY is going to heaven, simply because the entry fee has been payed. However, while it is true that the entry fee has been payed for everyone, and that God has invited everyone to come, the problem is that many will not believe it, and therefore will not go...they won't show up. God is not going to "shove a gun in their back", and force them to go...

So it is with salvation: many simply refuse to believe, and will not enter in, despite the fact that Christ payed their way with his death and ressurrection on the cross. Sad...

Bud

Interesting. So does this mean you (UR's) don't believe that we are chosen? Or all are chosen and some believe?

By not forcing you are saying someone like a devil worshiper won’t be forced into heaven?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,770,864 times
Quote:
How I see it:

Bud
I understand your analogy, but it does not line up with scripture ... According to scripture it is clear that eventually every one will bow in worship and confess that Christ is their lord. Something that they could not truly do without the power of the holy spirit, again according to scripture ...

Phl 2:11
And that every tongue should confess(exomologeō) that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

The word here translated as confess is exomologeō, and it means to confess willingly and joyously, to celebrate, etc. ... It does not mean to confess grudgingly or against ones will, or in duress ...

and...

1Cr 12:3
wherefore, I give you to understand that no one, in the Spirit of God speaking, saith Jesus is anathema, and no one is able to say Jesus is Lord, except in the Holy Spirit.

It is written, and it shall come to pass ... So in answer to your analogy, eventually everyone will gladly come to the game and joyously celebrate the one who paid their way ...

Jhn 12:32
and I, if I may be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.'

Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,722,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Interesting. So does this mean you (UR's) don't believe that we are chosen? Or all are chosen and some believe?

By not forcing you are saying someone like a devil worshiper won’t be forced into heaven?
Bud does not believe in UR

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
How I see it:

Bud
One slight problem with that analogy... you can't choose to bypass death.

So if Jesus paid for your entry into Heaven (for example) then all people would be in heaven. You choose to watch a ballgame... you don't choose to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity