Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Consider this a "get to know eachother" thread. OK to ask questions, but no debate please.
Wonderful idea, Mr5150. (I tried to rep you, but no can do.)

Quote:
I am curious about the people who post here. What is your theological or religious background?
I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, aka the "Mormon Church." I was raised in the Church but my parents were pretty liberal as LDS go. They encouraged me to question things I heard taught and to find out the answers for myself. So I did.

Anyway, I love talking about religion, especially with people who believe differently than I do. I really enjoy discussing our differences and also finding common ground. When all's said and done, we really do have quite a bit in common. We all love God. We all look to Jesus Christ for salvation. We're all doing the best we can with what we have and are trying to find the best path to be on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Well I am one of the more known Christians on the general Religious section mainly because of my no-BS/temperamental attitude. I really don't give two cents what anybody else thinks. I have a mind set more about what I think and what Jesus thinks. It's basically a defense mechanism that has catapulted me to celeb status with the Atheist. I consider them my haters and my fans. Haters because of the negativity and fans because they can't stop talking to me!

Well a little bit about me is that I'm a Protestant Christian. Baptist or what have you. I grew up in both Baptist and Non-denominational churches. But I was never one of those really religious people. I mean, I was always for the Lord don't get me wrong. But I was also just a kid. I just did my praying at night, went to church on Sunday and came home. At 12, is when I started becoming more religious. I began a personal relationship with the Lord. I had so much drama going on in my life at the time. My mother was sick with depression. We couldn't pay the bills. We had no idea what would happen to us. I was praying like I never have before. After that, my love for Christ has grew and manifested. Me and my older sister took the decision to get Baptized a few years ago. I was 15 and she was 17. We had never been baptized before and we felt we were spiritually ready and prepared enough to finally do it. After that, my relationship with Christ is even better and stronger. At 17 years of age, I'm feeling good and my faith is strong.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Me.....Denise, (A.K.A.) Betsey. Raise among God-fearing wonderful parents and siblings. Always been the "rebel". Went out and did my "own thing" until......well, you've heard about the prodigal son right? Well, meet the daughter!

Denominations? NONE! Love the Lord with all my heart and soul! Love to keep the Sabbath, however; if duty calls.....remember Matt 12: 11-12? And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

In other words, some of you know that I work as a hospice nurse and when the Lord calls me to be a guide to WHOMSOEVER may need a "parting" word at any given moment, I'm going! Be it on a SATURDAY, SUNDAY, MONDAY or, TUESDAY! See, I love people. I don't know how to explain it, but God has put something on my heart for the people. ALL THE PEOPLE! Doesn't matter where you've been and from where you're coming! My message.....quite simple: COME AS YOU ARE!! MY GOD IS STILL IN THE SAVING BUSINESS!! He did it for me.....He can do it for you. Come.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Born Catholic, raised Catholic, still Catholic. I love the Catholic Church and will always remain Catholic.

God is great.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM

595 posts, read 761,937 times
This is awesome Mr5150! God is so Good!
No upbringing in God or Christ. I remember someone must of said something to me pertaining to God because I remember being very small and sitting on my Dad's knee and asking him who God was. His answer was, "I do not know daughter". My best friend went to Church of God and her mother was devote Christian. I remember being sent to church a couple of times with my best friends grandparents, they were Nazarene.
Not until I was 15 and a friend told me about Jesus. I remember, I thought this was a joke, I laughed. (God has forgiven me) I thought in my mind, no way would a man or God come here and die for me, just no way. Well, me being this very pondering person, just could not shake what I was told. After about three days of thinking this out in my logical mind, I came to one conclusion..any story that could be true to form for almost 2000 years had to be true. Of course I had never prayed and didn't know to pray in Jesus name, so this was my prayer, "God give me the desire to know you". From that very moment, I have never had enough of my God. I immediately started reading the Gospels and within a very short time, I met Jesus and have never stopped speaking about Him.
My parents had been preached the gospel countless times and both are passed and never professed Jesus. I have 4 brothers, the same gospel preached all unbelievers. There are in God's hands.

I am non-denominational, follower of Jesus Christ my Savior and attend a Pentecostal church but will go anywhere the true word of God is spoken. I have a true passion for the homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics, victims of abuse and the broken hearted, that is where you will find me.

I love you Father, I love you Jesus and I love you Holy Spirit and worship you with all my heart.
God Bless all,
Mercy

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Five point Calvinist and Full Preterist as of 2007. Raised Protestant.
Confessed at 13, and confessed again at 27.
Luckiest regenerate.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
There were pentecostal preachers in my family and I rejected the whole thing ...but... as a 20 year old atheist Jesus made Himself known to me. It was an apostle Paul style instant transformation freak-out/knocked me for a loop type thing.

Studied/prayed for a year (full time) and went into music ministry the following year. Spent the next 30 years working in the ministry - mission trips, door to door evangelizing, street witnessing, leading worship (full Gospel/Charismatic). It was an absolute blast!!!

Left the "church" (and my job) in 2007 over eternal hell doctrine and modern end times dogma as well as right wing political extremism.

I was a Christian Universalist since the beginning (1977).

Blessings....

Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Name = Mary

Was raised presbytarian til about 8 I guess, then was in an AOG (Assemblies of God) til about 16,

Various things did not make sense to me about various doctrines and the answers I got did not help to relieve my confusion, that, as well as "family problems" turned me off the religion of christianity

Two years ago I had an "awakening" and ever since I have been seeking

I tried a couple of churches early on after the awakening but found that there seemed to be bias towards certain doctrines and interpretations, and was unsure of what denomination to pick..............

Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Thanks all.

Keep it coming. It's nice to get to know a bit about you all.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
I am in an Assembly of God church. My upbringing was Southern Baptist. Sing in the choir - the choir leads worship. I enjoy it very much. I'm taking seminary classes and am an intercessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity