Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
None of this though, means that my perceptions are necessarily uninformed, wrong, or of any less value than anyone else's.
I agree. I'm not calling anyone out. Just saying my two cents in an effort to get people to help the OP.

I am of the opinion that recommending another city to them when they clearly stated their reasons for moving here was to be close to family, who has medical and business connections is not very useful to them. And I certainly know you have a very strong knowledge of Cincinnati and could definitely help them.

Either way, carry on. I am not a moderator, post whatever you post. That's sort of how we all get down around here anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
OP-

Having read your post several times, I think that you would probably find more acceptance in the Cleveland area - especially in areas like Lakewood, Tremont, and Ohio City.

Also, if you are looking for a place like Portland, OR, Pittsburgh -especially the inner city portion - might also be attractive to you.

That is my two cents worth.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
OP-

Having read your post several times, I think that you would probably find more acceptance in the Cleveland area - especially in areas like Lakewood, Tremont, and Ohio City.

Also, if you are looking for a place like Portland, OR, Pittsburgh -especially the inner city portion - might also be attractive to you.

That is my two cents worth.
There is a reason the OP wants to move to cincy NOT CLEVELAND. Yes cleveland is a great city but Cincy offers just as much if not more then cleveland.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
There is a reason the OP wants to move to cincy NOT CLEVELAND. Yes cleveland is a great city but Cincy offers just as much if not more then cleveland.
hahah hilarious... OP says "I want to move to Cincinnati." Someone responds "why don't you instead move 250 miles northeast?

Yes, I agree, Cleveland is awesome and my favorite city, but the OP can definitely find a nice spot that fits their tastes in Cincinnati!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Great post, Motorman. Leave it to certain Cincy CD forumers to recommend cities in Kentucky, that may be nice in their own right, but are not in the same league as Cincinnati. That's what happens when people don't really know what is actually in Cincinnati anymore relative to the OP's initial inquiries. They don't know because they never come around here. The neighborhoods I recommended are all neighborhoods I either live, or frequent. And I know damn good and well Cincinnati has exactly what the OP is looking for.
The problem with Cincinnati is it has such a high-opinion of itself. That is why every city around it has passed it for years.

populations and MSA ranks for 2011, compared to 2010

27 Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN MSA 2,138,038 2,130,151 +0.37%

42 Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA 1,294,849 1,283,566 +0.88%

1 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA MSA 19,015,900 18,897,109

6 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA 5,992,414 5,965,343

Louisville is much more like Portland than Cincy. I have lived extensively in both cities, and travel to Portland (and Seattle) often. I can also tell you that both towns can be very provincial and "set in ways," although as you can see above, Louisville is growing substantially faster than Cincy.
Top U.S. travel destinations for 2013 - CNN.com

And lets be clear, Louisville is much closer to Cincy in terms of size and amenities than Philly is to NYC. But again, its the typical Ohio attitude that they are better than their "southern" neighbors who have a few rural counties with Christian themed attractions. I will let you guys carry on, because it is clear who has lived in both cities and can compare them fairly. Cincy does have great architecture and culture with wonderful neighborhoods, but it is simply not as bohemian as Louisville, nor is it attracting the 21-40 demographic that Dayton Sux mentions.

IMO Columbus is by far the best place for artistic, bohemian people who want to be in OH, but Cincy is a close second. Columbus and Louisville have more of a bohemian vibe than Cincy, and the larger "college town" scene may have to do with that.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^ One thing keeps being ignored by posters who keep trying to steer this PNW couple away from a Cincinnati residence--and that's that the couple has already researched this city, has family here, and now recognizes its potential to accommodate their Buddhist/Taoist lifestyle. Nobody has claimed that Cincinnati is either Portland or Seattle, but neither are the other Midwestern cities mentioned, no matter how hard their boosters try to imagine them to be.

And just now, another "red herring" gets dumped into the picture--i.e., the "bohemian lifestyle." (I simply had to laugh!) Exactly what is it that make some posters believe that "bohemian vibes" trump all else? Exactly what is it that make a few posters believe that "bohemians" hold special insight into daily living, education, and spirituality that the rest of us do not? Certainly not in Cincinnati; here bohemians are not seen as the be all/end all to which our entire populace must emulate, but as just another subculture to which we can either enter, mingle with, or leave at will. Therefore, I suggest that we not allow this thread to turn into another one of those pissing contests as to what one of our Midwestern cities is the most "bohemian." Rather (as TomJones123 has explicitly mentioned) we return to realigning this couple's strong interest in Cincinnati and assisting them in their exploration of the diverse urban neighborhoods within or near the city's center. Once again (as TomJones123 has mentioned), those neighborhoods are Northside, Clifton, CUF, and OTR.

Last edited by motorman; 12-10-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
One thing that seems to be overlooked. Cincinnati does not need to try and be some other city. Cincinnati is Cincinnati. It has it's own vibe that is unique to itself. Love it or leave it, it is what it is.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
And just now, another "red herring" gets dumped into the picture--i.e., the "bohemian lifestyle." (I simply had to laugh!) Exactly what is it that make some posters believe that "bohemian vibes" trump all else?....
....and blah blah blah.

>cue 'Okee from Muskogee'< (as soundtrack)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^ (??)

Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The problem with Cincinnati is it has such a high-opinion of itself. That is why every city around it has passed it for years.

populations and MSA ranks for 2011, compared to 2010

27 Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN MSA 2,138,038 2,130,151 +0.37%

42 Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA 1,294,849 1,283,566 +0.88%

1 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA MSA 19,015,900 18,897,109

6 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA 5,992,414 5,965,343

Louisville is much more like Portland than Cincy. I have lived extensively in both cities, and travel to Portland (and Seattle) often. I can also tell you that both towns can be very provincial and "set in ways," although as you can see above, Louisville is growing substantially faster than Cincy.
Top U.S. travel destinations for 2013 - CNN.com

And lets be clear, Louisville is much closer to Cincy in terms of size and amenities than Philly is to NYC. But again, its the typical Ohio attitude that they are better than their "southern" neighbors who have a few rural counties with Christian themed attractions. I will let you guys carry on, because it is clear who has lived in both cities and can compare them fairly. Cincy does have great architecture and culture with wonderful neighborhoods, but it is simply not as bohemian as Louisville, nor is it attracting the 21-40 demographic that Dayton Sux mentions.

IMO Columbus is by far the best place for artistic, bohemian people who want to be in OH, but Cincy is a close second. Columbus and Louisville have more of a bohemian vibe than Cincy, and the larger "college town" scene may have to do with that.
No, no, no, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati