Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
.....was there an Alm's Hotel downtown?
The Alms Hotel was on Reading, at or near the corner with
William Howard Taft. My parents were married there, many
years ago. The hotel closed down in phases, a building or
two at a time. I cannot recall when it finally closed completely.
Maybe the early 1980's?

I did not realize that the Maisonette opened in the Alms. My
earliest memories of the place were from its downtown
location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 04:14 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
The Alms Hotel was on Reading, at or near the corner with
William Howard Taft. My parents were married there, many
years ago. The hotel closed down in phases, a building or
two at a time. I cannot recall when it finally closed completely.
Maybe the early 1980's?

I did not realize that the Maisonette opened in the Alms. My
earliest memories of the place were from its downtown
location.
I could be wrong.....I am straining to remember back to the early and mid 1950's and I was a child, back then. Maybe the Maisonette and the Alms were seperate memories. The mind does play tricks.....

Old 08-02-2008, 05:55 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Point of info, the Alms Hotel building is still in existence. There's even a very old, no doubt burnt-out, neon sign on the north wall hyping the live WCKY broadcasts of their swing-band nights in the ballroom. The hotel is being used as subsidized housing of some kind now, but I bet if you were to go in and poke around some vestiges of its past could be found.

I believe there once had been a south wing where a McDonald's stands now. The main building still has an "Alms" sign on the front. It's located on the west side of Victory Pkwy immediately north of the intersection with East McMillan St.

While on the subject of old hotels outside the downtown area, has anybody been to the Vernon Manor lately? It got a radical makeover some time ago and is said to have recovered at least some of its past grandeur. Oak St and vicinity definitely ain't what it used to be, but that location so close to the universities and hospitals keeps rooms filled.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Don't know if they have been mentioned yet, but does anyone remember Jerry's on Glenway Avenue? ...

My mom would take me to Jerry's for my birthday when I was a kid. I'd get a free miniature birthday cake. It was always a special time I looked forward to.
That has to be the same Jerry's which also had a restaurant in Woodlawn. Kids were given blank paper placemats with pictures to color in, and crayons to do it with, how cool is that? I'd forgotten about the birthday deal they had - between us three kids, we scored a few of those lil' cakes in our time. Their Woodlawn location (next to Goodwill Industries) closed circa 1970, to be replaced by Mr Jim's Steak House, now also a thing of the distant past.

A dine-in meal of fast food, with table service, what a concept. Gotta love Frisch's for keeping it alive.

Here's another extinct eatery to recall: The Flaming Pit. If you got a straight-A report card, your dinner was comped - but I think the choices were limited. Also it could be that that was a parental thing about the dinner-for-grades incentive, LOL, maybe somebody can help out with that. The Goyguy family's "Pit" was next to what was then called the Princeton Cinema opposite Tri-County Mall.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:20 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Actually, now that you mention it, I seem to remember a restaurant that gave free meals to kids who showed a straight-A report card. Honestly can't remember the name of the place, and I'm sure it didn't happen often for me!

And yes, I do remember the placemats and crayons at Jerry's. Very cool. Frisch's used to do that, too. In fact, I think they still do. Makes it more fun for the kids while waiting for their food.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 PM

116 posts, read 304,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Point of info, the Alms Hotel building is still in existence. There's even a very old, no doubt burnt-out, neon sign on the north wall hyping the live WCKY broadcasts of their swing-band nights in the ballroom. The hotel is being used as subsidized housing of some kind now, but I bet if you were to go in and poke around some vestiges of its past could be found.

I believe there once had been a south wing where a McDonald's stands now. The main building still has an "Alms" sign on the front. It's located on the west side of Victory Pkwy immediately north of the intersection with East McMillan St.

While on the subject of old hotels outside the downtown area, has anybody been to the Vernon Manor lately? It got a radical makeover some time ago and is said to have recovered at least some of its past grandeur. Oak St and vicinity definitely ain't what it used to be, but that location so close to the universities and hospitals keeps rooms filled.
We were there for brunch early this year. Nowhere as good as it used to be!

Old 08-02-2008, 04:26 PM

116 posts, read 304,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
That has to be the same Jerry's which also had a restaurant in Woodlawn. Kids were given blank paper placemats with pictures to color in, and crayons to do it with, how cool is that? I'd forgotten about the birthday deal they had - between us three kids, we scored a few of those lil' cakes in our time. Their Woodlawn location (next to Goodwill Industries) closed circa 1970, to be replaced by Mr Jim's Steak House, now also a thing of the distant past.

A dine-in meal of fast food, with table service, what a concept. Gotta love Frisch's for keeping it alive.

Here's another extinct eatery to recall: The Flaming Pit. If you got a straight-A report card, your dinner was comped - but I think the choices were limited. Also it could be that that was a parental thing about the dinner-for-grades incentive, LOL, maybe somebody can help out with that. The Goyguy family's "Pit" was next to what was then called the Princeton Cinema opposite Tri-County Mall.
Where was Flaming Pit?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM

246 posts, read 1,048,521 times
There was a smorgasboard place called The Wheel downtown -- had a big, neon windmill out front. My mom and I would eat there sometimes when we'd ride the bus downtown from Price Hill for a day of shopping. Or else we'd eat at the Newberry's Department Store lunch counter . . . now that was good (koff koff) eatin'!

There was also a hamburger joint out on Glenway Avenue called Sandy's. Any westsiders remember it?

Someone mentioned Jerry's earlier . . . I think there are still a few of those left in Kentucky.

I also recall a chicken place called The Red Barn -- you could carry out an order of chix in . . . you guessed it . . . a red, barn-shaped box.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 AM

Yes! Its use has changed countless times, but the Red Barn on Seymour Ave is still there.

tntnb, what do you know of Maury's Tiny Cove? I was acquainted with the owners during our high school days, and have heard talk of their going out of business. No one has yet been able to confirm or deny the rumors.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 AM

246 posts, read 1,048,521 times
Hey goyguy, I hadn't heard that rumor myself but I'll ask around. What a shame if that landmark is lost . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati