Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM

69 posts, read 269,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
I worked at the Hartwell Frisch's one summer. Nice crew there
and we were all well fed, but it sure didn't pay for any four years
of university.
I remember my mom working as a carhop at Frisch's in Cheviot. She hated it. Back then, (1960-62) the uniforms were cumbersome and they had to wear those metal coin changers on their belt. She would come home with red fingers because when they weren't busy they had to prepare the fresh strawberries for the pies by remeoving the stems from the top, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times
Default Parkmoor drive-ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
I remember Parkmoor's. I know they had a restaurant in Milford and were a competitor of Frisch's (somewhat) in the early-mid 60's, with car hop service, etc.

Don't know what happened to any of the others but the one in Milford closed and eventually became a chili place.
I did not know about the Milford Parkmoor until doing some web surfing. Someone
actually posted a photo of it on a sort-of "historic" Milford site a year or two
ago. Wonder whether there were still others around town that haven't been
mentioned?

Both the Daly & Galbraith and the Summit & Reading branches were probably
long-gone by 1970. Apparently, the original St. Louis store closed not that
long ago.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Default 60 Seconds

Here is one I haven't seen mentioned:

60 Seconds. I can't remember specifically where they were located, but am pretty sure there were more than one of them. I think one of them was on Montgomery Rd. around the Silverton area. I think, too, that they were a burger/coffee shop-type place.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Sixty-Second Shops

Quote:

60 Seconds. I can't remember specifically where they were located, but am pretty sure there were more than one of them. I think one of them was on Montgomery Rd. around the Silverton area. I think, too, that they were a burger/coffee shop-type place.
They were mentioned early on in the Reading Road thread, and maybe
the Vine St. thread as well, FWIW. There was a branch in Hartwell, on
or near the southeast corner of Compton and Vine. I never made it into
one, but everyone I knew said that they were pretty bad.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 19,824 times
A couple of West side places

remember Lum's on Glenway near Lawrence?

Marion's Creamy Whip on Harrison near Temple, it had a carry out store next to it. Had the big red windmill?

How about Pete Rose's place on Westbourne, can't think of the name of it

There was a Pasqualie's on Harrison ave next to the Hoffbrau House bar, between Montana and Kling?

I think Ron's Roost was a Hitching Post restaurant at one time, the only one I know of left is down on Kellogg Ave.

Lets not forget the Green Gables restaurant, now Stacy's bar on Harrison @ School Section. The motel was torn down years ago.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
They were mentioned early on in the Reading Road thread, and maybe
the Vine St. thread as well, FWIW. There was a branch in Hartwell, on
or near the southeast corner of Compton and Vine. I never made it into
one, but everyone I knew said that they were pretty bad.
Sorry I missed them in the previous posts... If they were bad, that may be why I don't remember ever being in one. I just remember being a little girl and liking their sign. I think it was a clock, of course.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityMotorsports View Post
A couple of West side places

remember Lum's on Glenway near Lawrence?

Marion's Creamy Whip on Harrison near Temple, it had a carry out store next to it. Had the big red windmill?

How about Pete Rose's place on Westbourne, can't think of the name of it

There was a Pasqualie's on Harrison ave next to the Hoffbrau House bar, between Montana and Kling?

I think Ron's Roost was a Hitching Post restaurant at one time, the only one I know of left is down on Kellogg Ave.

Lets not forget the Green Gables restaurant, now Stacy's bar on Harrison @ School Section. The motel was torn down years ago.
Was Pete Rose's place called "Home Plate"?

Was the Green Gables still there in the late 70's or early 80's. I think I did eat there at least once.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:

There was also one in Forestville near the corner of Beechmont Ave. and Paddison. I believe that the site was taken over by Porter Paints.

I may be wrong but I believe that these places were all curb service. They have been gone about 40 years.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Sixty Second Shops, cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I may be wrong but I believe that these places were all curb service. They have been gone about 40 years.
I'm pretty sure that they had counter service, as well. I seem to
recall family members and friends commenting about the
appearance of the interior. I also have vague memories of seeing
counters through the windows.

They seemed to compete with Frisch's and Carter's in the Cincinnati
short-order niche, so curb service sounds right. Anyone know
whether the chain was strictly local?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM

204 posts, read 745,118 times
Quote:
Was Pete Rose's place called "Home Plate"?
I am pretty sure you are correct about this, but I could be wrong.

Didn't Johnny Bench have a restaurant? "Home Plate" would have been a better name for a restaurant that Johnny Bench owned.

Actually, that sounds more right to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati