Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor001 View Post
Wow, this is amazing analysis. This is the kind of info I wasn't sure I'd get. Knowing good neighborhoods is one thing but really honing down on the best streets within a neighborhood that I can afford (I'd bet most area in Hyde Park would be great but I can't really afford the house I want there) is really excellent. I will definitely check out this area.

Would this area be safer than the prime streets I mentioned in North Avondale? The homes I've seen on realtor.com in Norwood look to be more four squares and queen anne style. Is that the style more often found there?
I'm confident that you're intelligent enough to evaluate the information you've been given to make the decision that's best for you. You have a clear idea of what you're looking for and will recognize the right home when you see it.

Should you decide to venture over to the streets that I previously recommended, these are the easiest ways to get there:

(a) North on Montgomery Rd, from Dana - turn RIGHT at Williams Avenue, then turn LEFT onto Floral Avenue;
(b) South on Montgomery Rd, from Pleasant Ridge - turn left at Smith Rd/Sherman Avenue intersection, then turn RIGHT onto Floral Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 04:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I didn't want this argument with you. The OP seems to likes elegant houses. There aren't any in PR.

But, Pleasant Ridge is not as safe as Mt. Lookout, or Hyde Park. PR has its own drug gangs, there was a homicide practically at the corner of Orchard and Montgomery. There are holdups all along montgomery Road. Look at the crime mapping.

And, the gas station at Dana and Montgomery you mention above is enjoying a bit of a respite since it was rebuilt, but has a long history of car jackings and holdups.

I get that you like PR. If one is looking for a diverse (50-50) neighborhood, it is probably as good as it gets. But don't delude yourself about it being the equivalent of a truly safe neighborhood. Its not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
We'll just agree to disagree since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, nearly everything you just said is untrue. But oh well, I'll let you believe it. Have a happy hump day, Wilson.

Today, the Pleasant Ridge residents begged for a crime camera due to the fact of 22 recent crime incidents in the 5300 block of Montgomery Road. WCPO covered it.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:48 PM

53 posts, read 70,357 times
I haven't seen much come on the market lately but there are a couple places that are for sale in Clifton. Are these any good? Is one in a better part of Clifton than the other?

Both are listed at $500k but have been on the market for over 6 months so they must be over priced and about to come down in price I would assume.

847 Clifton Hills Ter, Cincinnati, OH 45220 - realtor.com®
253 Greendale Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45220 - realtor.com®

Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 AM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
IMO, basically all of Clifton is fine. I loved living in my apartment on Loraine for over 2 years. It's one of the top recommended neighborhoods on this board for a reason. Of course, I would never advise anyone to buy on Bishop, Ruther, Woolper or Lowell.

Is Clifton Hills Ter the dead end street? The Clifton Hills that connects Central to Ludlow has a ton of cut throughs. I believe the residents of that street have long wanted the access to Central closed because of that. Also with that street you're probably not going to be walking to the main drag unless you're in good shape and enjoy walking up a long hill. Where with Greendale you could easily walk to Clifton Ave to the main drag.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 AM

649 posts, read 817,248 times
People generally prefer to to have flow through from Vine Street, amongst others. So no to Greendale. Clifton Hills looks nice, no backyard though. Do you think the list of upgrades adds up to the $180k they are aksing above what they paid in 2012? Also keep in mind that you will have to send the kids to private school or roll the dice in the lottery for a CPS magnet.

ETA: they bought it for $275k in 2012, so the $225k delta is "upgrades". They also fought to have the tax value reduced to $275k so the tax burden on that house will essentially almost double the minute it sells for $500k. So rather than $7000/yr taxes you will be paying $13k.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM

800 posts, read 951,900 times
Clifton Hills Terrace is an okay but not great corner of Clifton. You can usually hear the wash of I-75 traffic and it's too far to walk to the Clifton business district. Clifton Hills and Clifton Crest cross each other but have identical street addresses which have confused pizza delivery guys for the past 50 years.

Greendale connects directly with Jeurgens, which is an Avondale street. Any day now it's going to be flipped into a yuppie street but in its current condition I'm sure that Wilson123 couldn't handle it. AT LEAST 3-4 black families live there which means your home and cars will be broken into EVERY NIGHT.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Clifton Hills Terrace is an okay but not great corner of Clifton. You can usually hear the wash of I-75 traffic and it's too far to walk to the Clifton business district. Clifton Hills and Clifton Crest cross each other but have identical street addresses which have confused pizza delivery guys for the past 50 years.

Greendale connects directly with Jeurgens, which is an Avondale street. Any day now it's going to be flipped into a yuppie street but in its current condition I'm sure that Wilson123 couldn't handle it. AT LEAST 3-4 black families live there which means your home and cars will be broken into EVERY NIGHT.
Wow. When my husband and I were looking at houses, we looked seriously at a house on each of those streets. There were downsides. We were concerned about accessibility in bad weather on CHT because the street is so steep, as well as I-75 traffic noise. I'm not sure if the street is still a connector between Ludlow and Central Parkway. I think they made it one-way or closed off the CPky entrance for a while. And as others have said, it's a hike to the business district, which is probably THE big draw to living in Clifton.

There was a Samuel Hannaford house for sale on Greendale that my husband was captivated with. So we spent time parking on the street for hours and watching the activity. Despite the nasty tone of the paragraph above--which paints anyone who would be concerned about car and foot traffic patterns as a racist--I believe buying there is a bad idea for both safety and resale value from the standpoint of it being a direct cut-through to a rough neighborhood. You could go to most of the streets surrounding Greendale and not have this disadvantage--especially the cul-de-sacs.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM

410 posts, read 587,490 times
I am entertained by the "no" to Greendale. I have a good friend who has lived on Greendale for about 5 years and loves it. I have visited many times (At all hours) and have not had any encounters that would put me off living there. The house that's currently on the market on Greendale is going to be a huge fixer. I would avoid it for that reason but the street is fine.

I know it's a bit out of your price range but this house on Clifton just it the market. It's completely redone.
https://www.comey.com/p/3738-Clifton..._cincy/1523703

Old 02-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
I am entertained by the "no" to Greendale. I have a good friend who has lived on Greendale for about 5 years and loves it. I have visited many times (At all hours) and have not had any encounters that would put me off living there. The house that's currently on the market on Greendale is going to be a huge fixer. I would avoid it for that reason but the street is fine.

I know it's a bit out of your price range but this house on Clifton just it the market. It's completely redone.
https://www.comey.com/p/3738-Clifton..._cincy/1523703

In fairness, I get the fact that the traffic pattern on Greendale would be of little or no concern to a lot of buyers, and I may have painted the street as it being more of a problem than the OP would think it is.

As I've posted before on this forum, during one of my times scoping the street, I was parked in front of the house my husband wanted to buy, when a guy came walking up the sidewalk, sort of dancing around erratically, talking to himself, and WAVING A HANDGUN. I kind of slumped down in the car hoping he wouldn't notice me, and he didn't seem to, but that incident made me think that a quiet nap on a summer afternoon on the house's beautiful front porch would be something I wouldn't want to do. So instead we found a house where I feel like I can. A total YMMV situation, I guess.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM

Good example right here of what I was talking about as a MUCH better street than Greendale, and very close by.

https://www.comey.com/p/445-Rawson-W..._cincy/1504542
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati