Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:02 PM

610 posts, read 796,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
News for you OP, Jacob doesn't live anywhere near NA and never has and goyguy hasn't lived in this City for 25 years. And, when you call the NA council I am sure they will tell you the neighborhood is a dump.

Just come down here on Friday night and leave from Rose Hill (be sure to look at the lovely houses) and try to find a safe place to get some gas and a 12 pack. Good luck with that.

Yeah go less than a mile to the UDF at Dana And Montgomery, stop at Listermanns Brewery for craft beer (be warned it's always packed on the weekend) on the way and then walk across the street to Delicios for some great pizza. or the thortons at Reading and Tennessee or the shell at Vine and Mitchell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM

53 posts, read 70,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Jake sure knows how to stir the pot.

OP, at this point this site has given you all we know. I'd reach out to NA communtiy council or the person listed in the article Mimi shared. He's very active on social media. NA might also have Facebook group. We have a really active Facebook group in Pleasant Ridge. Talking to people who live there would be best

Good luck and be sure to update us.
Thanks Dave! I've heard good things about PR too. Grand Vista and Orchard streets in particular. Would you say those streets are safer than Rose Hill, Beechwood in NA?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 PM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
PR is wonderful, I grew up there. Good luck finding homes on Orchard or Grand Vista.... the really good ones go before they ever hit the market.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor001 View Post
Thanks Dave! I've heard good things about PR too. Grand Vista and Orchard streets in particular. Would you say those streets are safer than Rose Hill, Beechwood in NA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
PR is wonderful, I grew up there. Good luck finding homes on Orchard or Grand Vista.... the really good ones go before they ever hit the market.
As much as Grand Vista and Orchard Lane may be recommendable, let's keep in mind several things: rather than being whole neighborhoods like NA or EWH, GV and OL are merely two streets running parallel to each other and from neither one can the hospital district be reasonably reached in 15-minutes or less.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
^ What they said. Grand Vista is great street and one of the most sought after in P Ridge. But right now most homes here sell in days and often at or above asking price, unless you want a fixer upper. I love living here, we have great sense of community with an up-and-coming biz districts with several new restaurants and bars, safe streets, many of them dead ends (hard to find anywhere else in the city). But it's beyond your 15 minute commute time.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
^ What they said. Grand Vista is great street and one of the most sought after in P Ridge. But right now most homes here sell in days and often at or above asking price, unless you want a fixer upper. I love living here, we have great sense of community with an up-and-coming biz districts with several new restaurants and bars, safe streets, many of them dead ends (hard to find anywhere else in the city). But it's beyond your 15 minute commute time.
Yes, if OP is considering branching out that far from workplace, it will open up a lot of possibilities. Without having a lot of first-hand experience, I would also cite Pleasant Ridge as a desirable, inner-ring older neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
How silly. All of the sales on GV in the past year are over $450,000. Go back to NA to search if GV is a choice. At least NA is isolated - sort of. You can hide back in the cul d' sacs. Not so for GV. And, GV houses were built in the Depression. A far cry for the magnificent construction in NA.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
I think we see again and again on this forum folks who have set certain parameters for home purchase and it turns out there is simply nothing that meets everything they want. Maybe I'm being too subjective because that was the case for my husband and me when we were coming in from out of town looking for a home. With quite a few years of retrospect, it turned out that a couple of the parameters were wrong, and that we're actually happy with the home we bought in the neighborhood we bought in. We did spend a lot of time looking in all the "wrong"places, though. Point is, OP, nothing wrong with trying to find exactly what you want but the combination of large old house, relatively lower price, good neighborhood and VERY close to your work simply may not exist. And if you have to compromise, you may find all those things weren't critically important anyway.

If it were me and I were prioritizing my wants, I'd go with the trite but true LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION principle as the most important. That's probably the No. 1 thing that ended up making us happy with where we settled. Location within the greater Cincinnati area, location as far as the neighborhood itself, even location within the neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
^Agreed!

Location, location, location.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM

53 posts, read 70,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
How silly. All of the sales on GV in the past year are over $450,000. Go back to NA to search if GV is a choice. At least NA is isolated - sort of. You can hide back in the cul d' sacs. Not so for GV. And, GV houses were built in the Depression. A far cry for the magnificent construction in NA.
So you think construction of the homes on the prime North Avondale streets is superior to Grand Vista homes? I hadn't thought about that as both areas seem to have really nice homes but I'm only seeing through pictures not actually there to inspect them. Grand Vista homes seem to be a little more expensive for the same size but some have been close to $400k.

You also think Grand Vista is a target for crime/property crime as much as the prime streets in NA? I always thought Pleasant Ridge was a safer neighborhood than NA. I also thought I could walk to a few restaurants coffee shop in PR. I wouldn't do that in NA.

$365k sold home on GV: https://www.redfin.com/OH/Cincinnati.../home/78844798

$318K: https://www.redfin.com/OH/Cincinnati.../home/80213397

$430k (I could do 430): https://www.redfin.com/OH/Cincinnati.../home/76097764
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati