Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:12 AM

800 posts, read 951,900 times

Advertisements

The price of homes on the east side is inflated because so many home buyers received inheritances or very large wedding gifts that don't force them to be discerning buyers. This means both the purchase price and the cost of improvements.

The Clifton Gaslight area has a pretty wide range of people living there but with many more west coast-types, academics, and old gays and lesbians as compared to any eastern neighborhood. East Walnut Hills has no stereotypical type of resident to speak of, but there is a huge disparity in wealth separating those who reside in the homes with river views versus those directly across the street. The people with views inherited car dealerships and other local companies; those across the street work in accounting or HR or in IT at those same sort of companies. The Woodburn Ave. business district is improving. Similar to to East Walnut Hills, there is no stereotypical resident of North Avondale, but there might be a slightly higher Jewish population there as compared to the others since.

The comments by some here about safety in North Avondale reflect their old-fashioned overblown racial fears. They've paid 2X the price and 2X the property tax for the same sort of house to live miles away from black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor001 View Post
Sarah, thank you. I decided to do the sex offender search from the links on this website and here's what I found. One on Mitchell near the entrance to Red Bud. Also a few on/near Reading Road.

Also there was one on Terrace south of Ludlow. I know someone mentioned Clifton being a safer area but they also have one there. A bunch near East Walnut Hills but not on the streets I'm looking at. None in Wyoming.

Not sure how big a deal having sex offenders so close to your home but they are close by.
Personally I wouldn't consider the sex offender issue at all. You'll find them in just about any neighborhood you look at, especially urban ones. Those people are not at all likely, IMO, to grab your kids off the street or the like. What I WOULD look at are break-ins and other types of property crimes. When my husband was intent on buying a large old beautiful, secluded house on Norway Avenue in North Avondale, I personally couldn't get past wondering if some night when I was home alone I would hear the sound of glass breaking as someone bent on taking my TVs and computers invaded. It would have been extremely easy to drive up to that house, break in, and leave with a lot of stuff, completely undetected. I know that also can happen a lot of other places, but I can tell you with some certainty it's MUCH less likely where we eventually ended up. We looked seriously at another much less secluded house on Avondale Avenue where the issue of neighboring property in a deteriorating condition was in evidence. I believe that's a serious consideration if for no other reason than those houses can turn into much bigger money pits than owners sometimes anticipate. So you may end up with someone decent and well-meaning who simply has gotten into a situation where they can't afford to maintain their property.

But as I've said repeatedly on the thread, that's my perspective and of course to some extent my bias.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The price of homes on the east side is inflated because so many home buyers received inheritances or very large wedding gifts that don't force them to be discerning buyers. This means both the purchase price and the cost of improvements.

The Clifton Gaslight area has a pretty wide range of people living there but with many more west coast-types, academics, and old gays and lesbians as compared to any eastern neighborhood. East Walnut Hills has no stereotypical type of resident to speak of, but there is a huge disparity in wealth separating those who reside in the homes with river views versus those directly across the street. The people with views inherited car dealerships and other local companies; those across the street work in accounting or HR or in IT at those same sort of companies. The Woodburn Ave. business district is improving. Similar to to East Walnut Hills, there is no stereotypical resident of North Avondale, but there might be a slightly higher Jewish population there as compared to the others since.

The comments by some here about safety in North Avondale reflect their old-fashioned overblown racial fears. They've paid 2X the price and 2X the property tax for the same sort of house to live miles away from black people.
This unwarranted personal observation about overblown racial fears does not apply to me, nor is it reflected in anything I've posted on this thread. One of the main reasons my husband and I looked so closely at properties in North Avondale was because it's a somewhat racially diverse neighborhood, which we consider desirable. And we've lived very happily in such a neighborhood for the past 16 years. So if you actually knew me, you would realize that is not the basis for my opinions.

For what it's worth, I disagree with just about all the other stereotypes you've included in the above posting, but I'm not going to try to address them one by one. The OP sounds intelligent and knowledgeable, so I trust s/he will read your posting for what it is.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
The price of homes on the east side is inflated because so many home buyers received inheritances or very large wedding gifts that don't force them to be discerning buyers. This means both the purchase price and the cost of improvements. . . . .

Jacob:

Let me help you here. You have repeated this very embarrassing notion that people live on the east side in Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout because they overpay for their houses and that that is the consequence of wedding gifts and inheritance. Help yourself here and if you actually believe this, keep it to yourself. Others will think very poorly of you just for saying it. Its not correct.

I know most of my neighbors and I can't think of a single one who would fit into your stereotype. My nextdoor neighbor is a Cincinnati Police Sargent from the west side, across the street a couple of speech therapists from Central America, behind me two houses owned by blue collar workers. An associate pastor, a divorced lady with two children in Kilgour, and on the other side of me a lawyer, who, like me, went to night school to get a degree. Some of those persons are of color.

Hyde PArk is the premier location to live because of the combination of things: amenities, good neighbors, a strong tradition of caring about the neighborhood, and convenience. Despite being on a busy street, I have not had to pick up a beer can or fast food bag from the street but once or twice a month compared with the 30-50 or so I gather up around my workplace every week in OTR.

This is a nice place to live and I am glad to be here. You should visit some time.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Jacob:

Let me help you here. You have repeated this very embarrassing notion that people live on the east side in Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout because they overpay for their houses and that that is the consequence of wedding gifts and inheritance. Help yourself here and if you actually believe this, keep it to yourself. Others will think very poorly of you just for saying it. Its not correct.

I know most of my neighbors and I can't think of a single one who would fit into your stereotype. My nextdoor neighbor is a Cincinnati Police Sargent from the west side, across the street a couple of speech therapists from Central America, behind me two houses owned by blue collar workers. An associate pastor, a divorced lady with two children in Kilgour, and on the other side of me a lawyer, who, like me, went to night school to get a degree. Some of those persons are of color.

Hyde PArk is the premier location to live because of the combination of things: amenities, good neighbors, a strong tradition of caring about the neighborhood, and convenience. Despite being on a busy street, I have not had to pick up a beer can or fast food bag from the street but once or twice a month compared with the 30-50 or so I gather up around my workplace every week in OTR.

This is a nice place to live and I am glad to be here. You should visit some time.
I'm not sure which of us Jacob was slandering as racist--probably both--but although he is aware you live in Hyde Park, he actually has no idea where I live. My neighbors are as diverse as you describe yours--in fact, they probably represent 10 or 12 different countries of origin. The folks directly across the street would certainly be acknowledged as one of Cincinnati's African American power couples, with a likely income that is at least double or triple that of many of the rest of us. They're lovely, friendly, just plain good neighbors, too.

Like anywhere else, we have a handful of trashy neighbors who ignore basic zoning laws, leave barking dogs out all night, don't maintain their property, etc. Guess what. Those people are all white.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:52 PM

800 posts, read 951,900 times
Quote:
Jacob:

You should visit some time.

I do. To homes that were wedding gifts.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:21 PM

53 posts, read 70,357 times
Quote:
Jacob:

Wilson, your feedback and others have given a good perspective from both sides. I do like Hyde Park. I'm just shocked at how much more it costs to live around there compared to other parts of Cincinnati. I think it's probably a safe bet and will appreciate more over time but I just can't stomach spending that much to live there. I could spend much less elsewhere and come visit whenever I want. I haven't lived anywhere where one area is such a premium price over others.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM

53 posts, read 70,357 times
Quote:

Your insight has been valuable especially because you live near North Avondale and aren't worried about the potential for crime there. I see news reports of crime in a lot of areas of Cincinnati and it seems to uptick in the summer especially around Avondale. But, I feel North Avondale especially on these prime streets is safe. We just get clouded from the news reports.

Yes, there definitely seems to be a premium price in Hyde Park which I'm not really interested in paying. The house sizes in my price range (under $400k) are just so small with few amenities. I'm not sure I want to be that crowded and pay $400k when the Cincy median is around $100k-$150k. The property tax everywhere in Cincinnati seems high. The tax rate/millage rate seems almost the same in Hyde Park and North Avondale when I look on the property appraiser.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:15 PM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Jake sure knows how to stir the pot.

OP, at this point this site has given you all we know. I'd reach out to NA communtiy council or the person listed in the article Mimi shared. He's very active on social media. NA might also have Facebook group. We have a really active Facebook group in Pleasant Ridge. Talking to people who live there would be best

Good luck and be sure to update us.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor001 View Post
Your insight has been valuable especially because you live near North Avondale and aren't worried about the potential for crime there. .

News for you OP, Jacob doesn't live anywhere near NA and never has and goyguy hasn't lived in this City for 25 years. And, when you call the NA council I am sure they will tell you the neighborhood is a dump.

Just come down here on Friday night and leave from Rose Hill (be sure to look at the lovely houses) and try to find a safe place to get some gas and a 12 pack. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati