Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
We do have a KitchenAide or Cuisinart or something mixer, but I am unfortunately not allowed to use it. My wife is a vegetarian and she is irrationally afraid of meat. I do all meat prep using separate utensils, cutting boards, pots and pans, etc.

With no kids yet, we rattle around a bit in our house. As nature abhors a vacuum, excess space is used in creative ways. One of those ways is that I get a home-brewing room where the cabinets provide additional kitchen storage for meat-use items. Eventually we want to tear out our cove ceilings so that we can double our kitchen cabinet space and keep all kitchen items in one place, but in the meantime I am not complaining.

The brewing reference reminded me of another chili favorite. I have a 30 quart stainless kettle that I use for brewing that also makes a great chili pot. Sometimes I like to put mesquite or charcoal in the fire pit and cook up a 20 lb+ pot of chili in the back yard all day. I usually make a spicier chili than traditional Cincinnati chili, and when cooking it outside I typically just serve it on potatoes wrapped in foil and baked in the hot coals. I did this on 4th of July weekend and my cousins (about 15 cousins plus kids/spouses etc) knocked down 40 lbs of potatoes and 20 lbs of ground beef, all of the beans and other chili ingredients as well as 2 full batches (110 12 oz bottles) of my 7% abv IPA. No jokes about the condition of my bathroom toilets please.
You identify this huge amount of chili created in your back yard, but then say your wife is a vegetarian. I am not sure whether to say God Bless You or OH ****! My wife is requesting Turkey or Chicken based chili rather than beef. My reaction is tastes like sawdust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Skyline at Wegman's ! *happy dance* Woo-hoo!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,578 times
Kroger owns Frys Supermarkets in Arizona. The Frys in Flagstaff, to my surprise, sells cans of Skyline as well as pints of Graeters.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Kroger owns Frys Supermarkets in Arizona. The Frys in Flagstaff, to my surprise, sells cans of Skyline as well as pints of Graeters.

It is not across the board, however. The Hilander stores in Rockford, IL are owned by Krogers and do NOT carry the cans or Graeters.

OTOH, many places sell the frozen variety.

I am sorry but I prefer to purchase the Cincinnati Chili Recipe powder mix and make my own at home. It is a lot cheaper AND more importantly, you can enhance it the way you like.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is not across the board, however. The Hilander stores in Rockford, IL are owned by Krogers and do NOT carry the cans or Graeters.

OTOH, many places sell the frozen variety.

I am sorry but I prefer to purchase the Cincinnati Chili Recipe powder mix and make my own at home. It is a lot cheaper AND more importantly, you can enhance it the way you like.
I think you are definitely right. Making your own using the powder mix is definitely more economical and you can influence the result. Throw a little more chili powder in to enhance it. I even throw some cayenne in to raise the heat level. Reduce the water amount to make it thicker. Even introduce some garlic salt to change the flavor. Many ways you can experiment with it.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Quote:
I failed to mention that I originally bought the frozen Skyline because I wanted it as topper for chili dogs using something better than the pale, plasticky franks they use in the restaurants. It was really nice atop a Hebrew National all-beef.
That sounds great, but did you have a cardiologist on standby?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM

[quote=prairiestate;21075052]That sounds great, but did you have a cardiologist on standby? [/quote

You only need a cardiologist when you consume a large volume of sliders.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Quote:
I probably bought it at Kroger, but it looks like it's sold quite a few places:

Skyline Chili - Where to Buy
What the?! One store in all of Chicagoland carry's Skyline?! We have Food 4 Less (division of Kroger), Meijer and Wal-Mart. Why isn't it more widespread?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
What the?! One store in all of Chicagoland carry's Skyline?! We have Food 4 Less (division of Kroger), Meijer and Wal-Mart. Why isn't it more widespread?
At a minimum, I have seen it at Woodman's and Meijer's. I have also seen it at Schnuck's and Logli.

I don't do Jewel or Dominicks.

Those unfamiliar with Chicagoland groceries have to know that there is NO Kroger's monopoly around. There are literally dozens of INDEPENDENT groceries and small local chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati