Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,503 times

Advertisements

Hhaa, Ohiogirl, thats exactly what i was going to say. Maybe they considered it a gel? haha

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Hhaa, Ohiogirl, thats exactly what i was going to say. Maybe they considered it a gel? haha

G Man
How are they going to know what is inside a can? And chili sure pours like a liquid/

Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Cincinnati Chili - As is obvious from the comments you either love or hate it. My sources credit the original Empress downtown location, opened in 1922 as being the local first. There are still a few Empress locations around, though I do not know how authentic. In addition to Camp Washington Chili, which several have mentioned, my recollections of other single outlets were Marathon Inn in Silverton, circa 1940s/50s, and Blue Ash Chili, still operating. Both of these not only served up their own Cincinnati Chili, but fabulous double-deckers. When I was younger I would have both a 5-way and a ham-beef double-decker, as I couldn't make up my mind.

As far as it not being chili, it's not Tex-Mex chili. To me it is like arguing sliders are not hamburgers.

I like both varieties, depending on my mood. I have a friend in Texas who sends me Texas 5-Alarm Chili Mix, as I cannot find it locally. I cut round steak into 1/4 inch cubes when I prepare it, as I like it chunky. A good pot of that will do a job on your innards.

In addition to those I mentioned, what other small Cincinnati Chili outlets do you recommend?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

45 posts, read 94,702 times
Big thumbs up for Blue Ash Chili! I would also suggest a couple of my faves. Price hill chili and Dent Chili. Both local places, I enjoy supporting local small buisiness. But thier Menus are both large enough that if you decide you hate the chili you can order something else

Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Another favorite chili parlor, aside from Price Hill or Pleasant Ridge, is Chili Time in St. Bernard. Demetrio's in Madison Place isn't bad, either.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
All I know is I hate cinnamon in my chili, so if you do too, stay away from Cincinnati chili...The spaghetti on it. OK. The cheese on it. OK.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is I hate cinnamon in my chili, so if you do too, stay away from Cincinnati chili...The spaghetti on it. OK. The cheese on it. OK.
Whaaaaa? The Greeks have brought some amazing things into this world, and that includes cinnamon in chili!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Glad to hear there are several small locations still serving up their own variation of Cincinnati Chili. I will have to make a point of trying some.

As you may tell from my post, I currently reside in Mason, Ohio. For those of you who don't know where it is, Kings Island is our most notable attraction.

This past summer, Blue Ash Chili opened their second location here in Mason, just down the street from me. While I like their chili, I just can't get past the ham & beef double-decker. Makes the Subway $5 foot-long look like it belongs on the dollar menu.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 AM

279 posts, read 718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Glad to hear there are several small locations still serving up their own variation of Cincinnati Chili. I will have to make a point of trying some.

As you may tell from my post, I currently reside in Mason, Ohio. For those of you who don't know where it is, Kings Island is our most notable attraction.

This past summer, Blue Ash Chili opened their second location here in Mason, just down the street from me. While I like their chili, I just can't get past the ham & beef double-decker. Makes the Subway $5 foot-long look like it belongs on the dollar menu.
I agree...I used to go to there a few years back in high school with friends and we always got those ridiculous, monsterous sandwiches. Ha funny comment about Subway...and so true! Blue Ash Chili is great.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 AM

45 posts, read 94,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
1While I like their chili, I just can't get past the ham & beef double-decker. Makes the Subway $5 foot-long look like it belongs on the dollar menu.
Oh HELL yes! The local guys always out produce the chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati