Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:29 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

The only significant difference in NYC's racial make up and Chicago's racial make up is that Chicago has less Asians and more black people.
If you simply go by predominance rather than accomplishments and integration Detroit would top every list, would it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM

320 posts, read 717,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I'm one of those "assimilationists" (and proud of it!). Here's my response:

The only reason I don't get mad at whites for not moving to Memphis or Detroit is because those cities are crime-ridden. While, yes, Detroit has nice areas like East English Village and Boston Edison (and white people DO live there), most of it is crime-infested ghetto. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to reside there. It DOES bother me how white people don't move to places like Baldwin Hills, CA or Bloomfield, CT. However, that's beside the point.

It's not that I don't respect your cultural identity, but the fact is, America does have a dominant culture. All Americans (black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.) should strive to assimilate to that dominant culture. That doesn't mean that a black man can't preserve some aspects of his culture, only that he should view himself as an American first and identify with mainstream American culture first. That's what assimilation is: not losing your heritage, but embracing all it is to be American.

Integration is a key component of assimilation. It's what Dr. King dreamed about -- not "black meccas" or "black capitals," but whites and blacks (as well as Hispanics, Natives, Asians, etc.) sitting down at the "table of brotherhood." That means living in the same neighborhoods, working at the same jobs, dating each other, marrying each other, looking out for the interests of one another. True integration and acceptance, not merely "tolerance" or "diversity."

As far as location goes, it's not my place to tell anyone where she can or cannot live. However, I will say that it is an absolute fact that a black person can do just as well in Mankato, Minnesota, Boise, Idaho or Minot, North Dakota as he/she could in Atlanta, DC or Charlotte. It's about a mindset and a will to succeed, not living near people who look like you.
I think you have it backwards. The domanant culture are the ones who segregate themselves from the non-dominant culture. It is the non-dominant culture who are usually trying to assimilate into the dominant one. However, the dominant culture vigurously resists integration for a while until they are forced to comply. However, they still find reasons and ways to segregate themselves. The reason why whites don't want to move to Baldwin Hills, Bloomfield, CT or Prince George County is b/c of this principle of Whites being dominant, Blacks being subordinate.

If I am apart of the dominant group then, why would I want to move into a neighborhood that consist of predomently subordinate people? Logically, I would rather move to an area that comprises of people who are like me. Right? And I will make sure that I will deny anyone from moving into my area who isn't like me just to keep my privelage (White privilage). Blacks have been trying to integrate and assimilate since the after the Civil War. Since then, whites have been resistant to our demands and only complied when forced to by the goverment. Now we are sick of begging for acceptance and to be integrated and today we are deciding to live amongst our own people. Given the history of race relation in this country, I don't see any problem with that.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
I love these people who talk about this imaginary "mainstream American culture". No such thing exists, but if we were to play this game, they usually say it means:

1. The culture of the majority of the people in this country AKA white people. Which may be fair since they are the largest single group of residents in this country. But how much does a white person from Texas, New York City, Minneapolis, San Francisco, or Seattle have in common? In most granular terms, very little.

2. "Midwestern" culture. Now which midwestern would that be? Chicago's culture? Minneapolis culture? St. Louis' culture? Oklahoma's culture? All four, again, have very little in common and are vastly different from one another when all things combined.

This is why some people have a hard time understanding what it means when people talk about African-American culture. You see, African-Americans descended from slaves do all have one thing in common no matter where they live: All of our ancestors at some point were slaves.

Now, that part of history in the past, but "going through" something so tragic that we can all point to creates an extremely strong bond even if it has been several generations since it has ended. If anyone doubts that, then how come the Jews still go on about being slaves in Egypt 5000 years ago?

As for "mainstream American" culture, the only one exists is the same one we all share as citizens of the Republic regardless of our color.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
I think you have it backwards. The domanant culture are the ones who segregate themselves from the non-dominant culture. It is the non-dominant culture who are usually trying to assimilate into the dominant one. However, the dominant culture vigurously resists integration for a while until they are forced to comply. However, they still find reasons and ways to segregate themselves. The reason why whites don't want to move to Baldwin Hills, Bloomfield, CT or Prince George County is b/c of this principle of Whites being dominant, Blacks being subordinate.

If I am apart of the dominant group then, why would I want to move into a neighborhood that consist of predomently subordinate people? Logically, I would rather move to an area that comprises of people who are like me. Right? And I will make sure that I will deny anyone from moving into my area who isn't like me just to keep my privelage (White privilage). Blacks have been trying to integrate and assimilate since the after the Civil War. Since then, whites have been resistant to our demands and only complied when forced to by the goverment. Now we are sick of begging for acceptance and to be integrated and today we are deciding to live amongst our own people. Given the history of race relation in this country, I don't see any problem with that.
What this guy fails to realize is just about everything in this country today that is predominantly Black, whether it is a religious denomination, university, or neighborhood, either started out as all White (Whites left en masse when Blacks came trickling in) or was created because Blacks were denied access by Whites to those institutions. The burden of integrating is almost without exception put on the backs of Black people, but as you've stated, that's what we've been trying to do since we got here.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, I don't want generalities here, I want specifics. You put it out there, so don't be afraid to explain and defend yourself.
OK. I know I will be lambasted for this, but I might as well say it.

Disclaimer: the word "you" is a general "you," not the poster I'm quoting.

Quote:
Should I prefer Phil Collins over Drake? Should I discard my Air Force Ones, Timberlands, etc. for loafers? Should I give up collard greens for bagels?
In a word, yes. More specifically: I don't think you should "prefer" Phil Collins over Drake, but that you should also enjoy types of music not associated with black people (Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Metal). Yes, you should adopt a mainstream style of dress, and not dress in a stereotypically black or "ghetto" "hood" fashion.

Quote:
Do I need to vote Republican consistently?
No. However, blacks shouldn't vote as a block for the Democrats (as if Dems have the best interests of blacks at heart, anyway). Develop your own political beliefs. Do whites, Asians, etc. vote in bloc?

Quote:
Should I attempt to rid myself of the hint of Geechee in my speech and consciously try to "sound White"?
Short answer: yes. You should speak proper English. More specifically: How does one "sound white?" How can you sound a color? Have you ever notice that Americanized Hispanics, Asians, Africans, etc. "sound white?" Why should blacks be different?

I'm not talking about accents (you can't change your accent) but form of speech. Speak standard American English, not AAVE or "Ebonics." The black accent will fade with later generations, like the Asian accent in second-generation Asians.

Quote:
Should I resign from my AME or COGIC church and join a Southern Baptist or Catholic congregation?
All of those churches need to diversify. COGIC should target white members, Southern Baptist and Lutheran should pursue blacks, Hispanics, etc. Church, of all places, should NOT be segregated.

Quote:
Should I cut my locs? Do I need to devalue everything in my life that has a hint of Black culture and replace it with something "mainstream American"?
Yes. Think about it: when Chinese, Poles, Russians, or ANY OTHER GROUP comes to this country, their children largely discard those foreign cultures for mainstream American culture. I'm not saying you can't keep some aspects of your culture, but your predominant cultural mold should be mainstream American.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
I would say DC because that's where the President is.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
^^ Wow @ kazoopilot

Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,988 times
Quote:

In a word, yes. More specifically: I don't think you should "prefer" Phil Collins over Drake, but that you should also enjoy types of music not associated with black people (Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Metal). Yes, you should adopt a mainstream style of dress, and not dress in a stereotypically black or "ghetto" "hood" fashion.

No. However, blacks shouldn't vote as a block for the Democrats (as if Dems have the best interests of blacks at heart, anyway). Develop your own political beliefs. Do whites, Asians, etc. vote in bloc?

Short answer: yes. You should speak proper English. More specifically: How does one "sound white?" How can you sound a color? Have you ever notice that Americanized Hispanics, Asians, Africans, etc. "sound white?" Why should blacks be different?

I'm not talking about accents (you can't change your accent) but form of speech. Speak standard American English, not AAVE or "Ebonics." The black accent will fade with later generations, like the Asian accent in second-generation Asians.

All of those churches need to diversify. COGIC should target white members, Southern Baptist and Lutheran should pursue blacks, Hispanics, etc. Church, of all places, should NOT be segregated.

Yes. Think about it: when Chinese, Poles, Russians, or ANY OTHER GROUP comes to this country, their children largely discard those foreign cultures for mainstream American culture. I'm not saying you can't keep some aspects of your culture, but your predominant cultural mold should be mainstream American.
This is embarrassing. You know not much of what you speak.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
One more thing I'll add for flyingwriter, err, kazoopilot:

I know where you stand on this issue from other threads and I'll tell you this much: I can relate to you....on some level at least.

You see, I'm also mixed too (half black, half Japanese) so I know a thing or two about straddling two ethnic cultures. But what I don't think you understand is you do not have to "decide" which one you want to be a part of. You can be a part of both.

I believe you are doing yourself a great disservice by shunning one half of your heritage. By actively seeking to not be "black", you are denying yourself not only the long history and heritage that our ancestors fought for but almost literally denying being close with your "family" since most people descended from slaves in America are likely all related by a common ancestor due to the breeding programs in place on the plantations.

So by all means, feel free to live where you want, speak how you want, dress how you want, date who want, etc. But you can not deny who you are on a cellular level.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:

YIKES!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City