Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 221 41.00%
Chicago 318 59.00%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Sure, we believe you. Yet Chicago posters can't stop mentioning NYC.
I hate to say it but it does seem like some of the Chicago posters on this forum have a superiority complex in a way that they always have to top New York City in every thread to justify there insecurities. THERE I SAID IT! Now watch every Chicago poster attack me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 PM

36 posts, read 75,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hate to say it but it does seem like some of the Chicago posters on this forum have a superiority complex in a way that they always have to top New York City in every thread to justify there insecurities. THERE I SAID IT! Now watch every Chicago poster attack me.
Don't you mean inferiority complex but yeah us Chicagoans don't really care what happens in NYC. I respect NY and other cities but I don't look up to them either. Most people I know feel the same way.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterfielddad View Post
Don't you mean inferiority complex but yeah us Chicagoans don't really care what happens in NYC.
Yea sure

Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Chicago.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:17 PM

When it comes to the respective cores of each metro, Center City Philadelphia IS impressive - but Chicago simply blows it totally out of the water, particularly when it comes to retail offerings.

Downtown Chicago is THE shopping mecca of its entire region. The huge majority of the Philadelphia areas retail offerings have been relegated to suburban King of Prussia, in a completely different County. There simply is no comparison in that particular category.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Philadelphia Shopping
BE IN ON IT - Philadelphia Retail - Retail Neighborhoods

Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Default Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
When it comes to the respective cores of each metro, Center City Philadelphia IS impressive - but Chicago simply blows it totally out of the water, particularly when it comes to retail offerings.

Downtown Chicago is THE shopping mecca of its entire region. The huge majority of the Philadelphia areas retail offerings have been relegated to suburban King of Prussia, in a completely different County. There simply is no comparison in that particular category.
Oh, really? Now why the hell would Philly's shopping mecca be way out in a different county?

Chicago has a completely different relationship with its suburbs than Philadelphia, doesn't it? Chicago suburbs have everything from predominately black ghettos (Harvey) to middle class majority-black towns (Matteson) to Hispanic enclaves (Cicero) to liberal "racially integrated" areas (Oak Park) to places of incredible wealth and prestige (Winnetka) to more stereotypical suburbia (Arlington Heights). What are Philly suburbs? Just a bunch of middle class, moderately conservative, white areas, mostly.

Oh, and Chicago suburbanites across the board have great pride in their city. Philadelphia suburbanites are afraid to go to their city.

Last edited by urza216; 10-23-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Chicago has a completely different relationship with its suburbs than Philadelphia, doesn't it? Chicago suburbs have everything from predominately black ghettos (Harvey) to middle class majority-black towns (Matteson) to Hispanic enclaves (Cicero) to liberal "racially integrated" areas (Oak Park) to places of incredible wealth and prestige (Winnetka) to more stereotypical suburbia (Arlington Heights). What are Philly suburbs? Just a bunch of middle class, moderately conservative, white areas, mostly.

Oh, and Chicago suburbanites across the board have great pride in their city. Philadelphia suburbanites are afraid to go to their city.
Would it make you feel better if we said chicago is just like NYC. What you have said about Philadelphia is untrue, but if it makes you feel better then go for it.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh, really? Now why the hell would Philly's shopping mecca be way out in a different county?

Are you confused? I am making the claim that Downtown Chicago blows Center City Philadelphia out of the water when it comes to shopping. What part of my post did you not understand?

ALL of Philadelphia's upscale Department Stores are outside of the City, in a suburban County. This is obviously NOT the case when it comes to Chicago. They WISH they had anything remotely similar to Watertower Place, 900 Michigan, the Shops at Northbridge, Chicago Place, etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Would it make you feel better if we said chicago is just like NYC. What you have said about Philadelphia is untrue, but if it makes you feel better then go for it.
This comical myth that certain insecure Northeasterners love to perpetuate of Chicago secretly wishing to be New York is really beyond laughable. Chicago as a City and region are pretty damn secure with what they are in the real world.

And New York is NOT the topic of this thread - Philly is. BUT, I can certainly understand how you may feel the need to use New York as a crutch in this comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City