Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:51 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times

Advertisements

More fuel for the fire, another article about how Texas rules and California blows. And there is something for you Bill White fans.

Quote:
The defeated Democratic candidate for governor, the brainy former Houston Mayor Bill White, enjoyed robust business support and was widely considered more competent than the easily re-elected incumbent Rick Perry, who sometimes sounds more like a neo-Confederate crank than a serious leader.
Via Forbes

California Suggests Suicide; Texas Asks: Can I Lend You a Knife? - Joel Kotkin - New Geographer - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Probably not great timing considering Texas' budget deficit has magically been revealed, right after the election no less, to be much higher than previously thought and higher as a proportion than California's.

Forbes just likes the notion of a state government of the corporation by the corporation and for the corporation and thats why it always praises Texas. Its just bitter that corporate shill Meg Whitman couldnt carry California and is therefore predicting the states demise like a child throwing a tantrum after its cookie is taken away.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Default California Suggests Suicide; Texas Asks: Can I Lend You a Knife?

Ahaha no it's not from me

In the future, historians may likely mark the 2010 midterm elections as the end of the California era and the beginning of the Texas one. In one stunning stroke, amid a national conservative tide, California voters essentially ratified a political and regulatory regime that has left much of the state unemployed and many others looking for the exits.
California has drifted far away from the place that John Gunther described in 1946 as “the most spectacular and most diversified American state … so ripe, golden.” Instead of a role model, California has become a cautionary tale of mismanagement of what by all rights should be the country’s most prosperous big state. Its poverty rate is at least two points above the national average; its unemployment rate nearly three points above the national average. On Friday Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was forced yet again to call an emergency session in order to deal with the state’s enormous budget problems.

California Suggests Suicide; Texas Asks: Can I Lend You a Knife? | Newgeography.com

Very interesting article

Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
I think California is still the most spectacular and most diversified.

Texas has spectacular cities, and a few Diverse ones, but California is more sweeping.

I think Texas is the one that shot itself in the foot electing reelecting Perry and his buddies.

Texas business oriented nature is what is keeping it a float, the Reds have nothing to do with it. Texas was business savvy way back when it was still blue.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 AM

Hmmm, I just noticed there were two of these. Anyway I don't know which will get deleted, so here is what I said in the other:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Texas has spectacular cities, and a few Diverse ones, but California is more sweeping.

I think Texas is the one that shot itself in the foot electing reelecting Perry and his buddies.

Texas business oriented nature is what is keeping it a float, the Reds have nothing to do with it. Texas was business savvy way back when it was still blue.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:

The Texas boom come from Perry & co.The leader in wind power is Texas, thanks to Perry.
But you're right, it's not a red thing or blue thing.Washington state is a great state to live and economically, and it is dominated by blue politics

Old 11-16-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
The Texas boom come from Perry & co.The leader in wind power is Texas, thanks to Perry.
But you're right, it's not a red thing or blue thing.Washington state is a great state to live and economically, and it is dominated by blue politics
Perry had nothing to do with the Texas boom. The Boom flows from decades of business structure laid down before Perry ever held public office.

Perry can hardly blow his nose without assistance

Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Perry had nothing to do with the Texas boom. The Boom flows from decades of business structure laid down before Perry ever held public office.

Perry can hardly blow his nose without assistance
The Texas Enterprise Fund, from Perry, is a success.Many businesses came from the other states to Texas, thousands of jobs created during the crisis.
I know it's hard to accept it's a successful governor (economically) but you can't erase the datas about jobs and growth during his terms

Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
The Texas Enterprise Fund, from Perry, is a success.Many businesses came from the other states to Texas, thousands of jobs created during the crisis.
I know it's hard to accept it's a successful governor (economically) but you can't erase the datas about jobs and growth during his terms
Perry is benefiting from other people's labor, You don't know how it is here on the ground. I have been living it for years. Texas is business savvy and that has nothing to do with Perry

how much good can be attributed to that Enterprise fund???

Heck Bush was much better a Governor than Perry

Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
The constitution of the state of Texas does not allow any governor to mess up how Texas does it's business so in essence, Perry really has little to do with the boom of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City