Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Oh, and for you :
California is unfriendly to business so I don't like it (now, before that was great).Texas,Utah,Washington and Virginia are very friendly to business so I like them
If Texas becomes anti-business one day I'll hate it (but it's pretty unlikely)

Last edited by Wonderful Jellal; 11-17-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The other thread is in a different forum, that I also moderate. It's on-topic in both, so we'll leave it open in both.
oh, good.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
What's up with all the Texas vs. California threads anyway? The two states are very dissimilar. Too many variables are unaccounted for to compare them in any meaningful way. I just don't understand all the animus.
I agree. I don't know why this keeps coming up!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I agree. I don't know why this keeps coming up!
Ditto that. All these city vs. city and state vs. state threads eventually bring out the most immature posters who feel that they have to bash whichever city or state is not their own. It's just so childish.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Default Texas Governor Caught Telling Half Truth on CA to TX Business Relocations

Its all very amusing...I sorta like that he and his ilk are openly chomping at the bits over their envy of California's position as the state with the largest population and economy.

At least its out in the open. Anyway:

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/nov/18/rick-perry/gov-rick-perry-says-153-businesses-have-moved-cali/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin American Statesman
"Since the first of the year, 153 businesses at last count had moved out of California to Texas," he[Gov. Perry] said on "Fox & Friends" Nov. 4. Then on Nov. 8, he said it to host Greta Van Susteren on Fox News's "On the Record." Later that day he told the host of Comedy Central's "Daily Show," Jon Stewart, that "153 businesses have moved out of California to Texas since the first of the year through August"
Well, okay...but

Quote:
However, Muckerman said, the D&B count does not mean that 153 individual companies pulled up stakes in California to settle in Texas. Muckerman offered this example: If one company with five offices in California keeps its headquarters in state and moves its branches out of state, including one to Texas, that would figure into the D&B count that Perry cites.
Ah! Perspective...

Quote:
We wondered how many business sites moved from Texas to California. Muckerman told us there were 92 such moves, leaving Texas with a net gain of 61 business sites from the Golden State.
Wow, more perspective...

And is there ANY doubt that the TX to CA relocations were most likely higher paying, higher skilled jobs than the ones we shipped to TX?

But wait, there's more...

Quote:
Putting Texas' numbers in perspective, he said, 19,585 business sites in the D&B database showed a change of address from one state to another between January and August. Of those, 1,280 relocated from other states to Texas, which ran second to Florida in relocations. Florida's haul was 2,032, Muckerman said.
So actually, FLORIDA IS NUMBER 1 FOR BUSINESS RELOCATIONS. Ahem.

This article from the Austin American Statesman confirms what the California Public Policy Institute has been saying all along:

"[T]he small number of California jobs moving to other states due to business relocation is relatively inconsequential—about 11,000 jobs per year out of more than 18 million (.06 percent). Business births, deaths, contractions, and expansions have a much greater effect on employment."

Claim of California Jobs Moving Out of State Shown by Study to be a Myth | California Progress Report

It also exposes the notion that there is a mass exodus of companies and jobs from California for the MYTH that it is, which is corroborated by this:

It's not true that businesses are fleeing the state, Henton said. Adding up the numbers of businesses that started up compared with those that closed or moved elsewhere showed that the state gained a net average of 58,500 new businesses each year from 1995 to 2008, the report said.

California leads nation in green tech - SFGate

Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
You know what Texans say about their state? "Everything is bigger in Texas." I guess that includes lies as well. But when one takes a look at their yahoo governor then it is no surprise that real joker is in Texas.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You know what Texans say about their state? "Everything is bigger in Texas." I guess that includes lies as well. But when one takes a look at their yahoo governor then it is no surprise that real joker is in Texas.
again, PLEASE do not go down that road.
Stop lumping all of us into one category.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Ditto that. All these city vs. city and state vs. state threads eventually bring out the most immature posters who feel that they have to bash whichever city or state is not their own. It's just so childish.
Lighten up, rivalries are fun. It's like bashing each others football teams, the only real difference is the color of the jerseys but its fun to ham it up and insult them and their fans.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 AM

25 posts, read 31,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its all very amusing...I sorta like that he and his ilk are openly chomping at the bits over their envy of California's position as the state with the largest population and economy.

At least its out in the open. Anyway:

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/nov/18/rick-perry/gov-rick-perry-says-153-businesses-have-moved-cali/

Well, okay...but

Ah! Perspective...

Wow, more perspective...

And is there ANY doubt that the TX to CA relocations were most likely higher paying, higher skilled jobs than the ones we shipped to TX?

But wait, there's more...

So actually, FLORIDA IS NUMBER 1 FOR BUSINESS RELOCATIONS. Ahem.

This article from the Austin American Statesman confirms what the California Public Policy Institute has been saying all along:

"[T]he small number of California jobs moving to other states due to business relocation is relatively inconsequential—about 11,000 jobs per year out of more than 18 million (.06 percent). Business births, deaths, contractions, and expansions have a much greater effect on employment."

Claim of California Jobs Moving Out of State Shown by Study to be a Myth | California Progress Report

It also exposes the notion that there is a mass exodus of companies and jobs from California for the MYTH that it is, which is corroborated by this:

It's not true that businesses are fleeing the state, Henton said. Adding up the numbers of businesses that started up compared with those that closed or moved elsewhere showed that the state gained a net average of 58,500 new businesses each year from 1995 to 2008, the report said.

California leads nation in green tech - SFGate
Uh oh.

Thanks for the owneage, 18Montclair.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
again, PLEASE do not go down that road.
Stop lumping all of us into one category.
My comments are directed to your governor who is a joke. Stop being so defensive or confront the OP for creating this thread. It is easier to attack those being attacked than to confront the attacker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City