Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The guy Flav, was saying the Bay Area, had superior burbs because thier burbs are larger, and It was explained to him that they jsut appear larger on paper because they are not broken up into nearly as many jurisdictions as the Philly burbs, which tend to have alot more municipalities. The first comparison was Santa Cruz(I think) to Delaware county, and it was determined to be an unfair comparison, because Santa Cruz is basically rural. So I picked two counties that we're pretty much the same size and population to show the disparity between the number of municipalities outside of Philly compared to Sanfran, proving that our suburbs arn't small because they're are really small, but that they appear small on paper because they are so fragmented.

Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide
I could steal your girl, assuming your straight, whcih your probably not, assuming you have a girl, which you probably don't.

Even your mom would like me.

Sometimes SanFran tries to get on it's high-horse, and I just gotta remind people, "It's a f*g bol' place". and bring it down a notch, back to reality, and Boston tries to play hard, but everyone knows it's as soft as a marshmallow and about as white.
Your mom is fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215
Nahh, by generic I mean no distinctive accent, culture etc.
No distinctive culture? You're not trying very hard if you can find it in Philly but not SF. That actually seems to be the common theme with a lot of the philly boosters: not trying very hard (unless it's to boost Philly of course...WHERE'S THAT TV MARKET LIST ARGHHHHH).

Also, native SF residents most definitely have an accent that is distinct from say Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc. It' not all that distinct from the rest of California though. Then of course the non-native SF residents have an accent that is a combination of California and wherever they came from.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Your mom is fat.

No distinctive culture? You're not trying very hard if you can find it in Philly but not SF. That actually seems to be the common theme with a lot of the philly boosters: not trying very hard (unless it's to boost Philly of course...WHERE'S THAT TV MARKET LIST ARGHHHHH).

Also, native SF residents most definitely have an accent that is distinct from say Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc. It' not all that distinct from the rest of California though. Then of course the non-native SF residents have an accent that is a combination of California and wherever they came from.
I am curious. Do you have any examples of this San fran "accent"? Btw I find san franciscans to sound neutral or in other words generic

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
^^^^that is a dialect. If its not the Kings english, and it doesnt sound like the rest of the country, then it is distinct.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I could steal your girl, assuming your straight, whcih your probably not, assuming you have a girl, which you probably don't.

Even your mom would like me.

Sometimes SanFran tries to get on it's high-horse, and I just gotta remind people, "It's a f*g bol' place". and bring it down a notch, back to reality, and Boston tries to play hard, but everyone knows it's as soft as a marshmallow and about as white.
So you are the one with 40 accounts talking about San Fran & Cali on their high horse.......funny. Do you have a phobia or are you scared of white people? You've been talking about that alot lately.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Maybe we should bed bugs as this dialouge has hit pretty close to bottom at this point

I want to find more negativity where Philly can excel

Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Its a shame to hear that, but that is true. That's precisely why Philly is looked at as America's unflushed turd while Boston is actually respected and admired. It all starts with the PEOPLE. The one or two of you who actually are decent are really fighting an uphill battle here trying to make a case for Philthy.
I actually like the people of Philly very much. It's one of the reasons we're moving there, and I've traveled fairly extensively. Have you been to Philly before? What's your experience there?

Interesting that you'd make a judgement on 1.5M+ people, which seems like quite a generalization (over 6M if you include the metro). Seems to be in poor character to make that generalized judgement on an internet forum, which is exactly why you chastise Philly.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,132 times
The typical Philly accent is accompanied by a mouthful of food, a hairy beer gut, and a middle finger.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Oh wow, how brave and noble of Philly to foresee this and rescue America!

And YOU of all people try and criticize SF residents for "self-adulation" as you once put it? LMFAO okay!!
Haha. Tone it down a tad drama queen.

I merely presented some historical data to potentially help individuals understand the reasoning why Philadelphia trails SF and Bos in certain aspects. I never once disparaged Boston or SF, rather defended Philadelphia.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Well, as predicted, this thread is close to self-destruction. It's really not that serious, people. There's so much to appreciate about all of these cities, but it seems like it's really hard for some people to admit that.

Not to mention, using tacky insults to express one's preferences really brings down the quality of conversation fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City