Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
When during the year? Because a Saturdayduring the Summer Boston is dead between College students being gone and anyone with any sort of wealth fleeing to the countryside there's probably like 400,000 people in the city.
I wish people in SF did this more. The city is packed to annoyance during the summer, especially on weekends otoh the food scene and nightlife in Oakland has increased so much over the past 10 years that I dont really need to go into The City that much on weekends anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I wish people in SF did this more. The city is packed to annoyance during the summer, especially on weekends otoh the food scene and nightlife in Oakland has increased so much over the past 10 years that I dont really need to go into The City that much on weekends anymore.
It's odd because SF has lots of outdoor activity around so you'd think it'd be one of those cities that has weekend exoduses

Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
It's odd because SF has lots of outdoor activity around so you'd think it'd be one of those cities that has weekend exoduses
Oh plenty of people go up to Napa, or Lake Tahoe or Monterey, let alone Hawaii, Mexico, Europe etc. but suburbanites, people from neighboring areas, and tourists all flock to the city in the summer. I remember reading somewhere that Saturday afternoon is the worst traffic time in SF and I can see truth in that-its awful.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
I would say between Sept-Nov and March-May Boston is busy but other than that Boston is closer to more things than either NY or Chicago so people leave the city more (and it's easier to get out too)

Boston basically doesn't have a Friday afternoon rush hour during the Summer
Interesting. In downtown Chicago I see tons of tourists in the summer and the tours boats on the river and lake are in full effect. However, the much lighter Friday afternoon rush hour is something I also see (I commute via train/metro- so I’m only speaking from this perspective), so I think locals leaving for vacation throughout the summer months is a pretty common phenomenon in many large cities. I don’t see any differences during the winter months.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
When during the year? Because a Saturdayduring the Summer Boston is dead between College students being gone and anyone with any sort of wealth fleeing to the countryside there's probably like 400,000 people in the city.
My favorite time of year for this reason. Much more relaxed and fun.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 PM

20 posts, read 20,212 times
It's hard not to go for the Bay Area here, but both Boston and Philly have made considerable strides this past decade. Especially, Boston! Love that whole area. That said, the Bay is just special on so many accounts... it's really top 3 in the world for me.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Really? The students may leave, but summer is when the tourists arrive.

Also, locals are more likely to head to the city during the warmer months too. I’d much rather walk around the Public Garden during a nice day in June than a wet and chilly day in March.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Really? The students may leave, but summer is when the tourists arrive.

Also, locals are more likely to head to the city during the warmer months too. I’d much rather walk around the Public Garden during a nice day in June than a wet and chilly day in March.
I really don't think so Subyrbanites are also more likely to fly off to the Lakes/Moutains/Shore too.

In the summer people go to Boston for Red Sox Games and Concerts at Fenway and basically that's it. Boston city proper has a lot of indoor events which is good for Sept-May but not June-Aug.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
I really don't think so Subyrbanites are also more likely to fly off to the Lakes/Moutains/Shore too.
I mean it’s not that Boston gets overcrowded during the summer, but it’s still far busier than it is during late fall, winter, and early spring. To call it “dead” would be a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe I'll head downtown this weekend (if I have time) and take a picture of how many people are there.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baynova View Post
Boston and Philly have made considerable strides this past decade. Especially, Boston!
It has?

I mean, the economy has always been very strong, education and medical continue to be it's backbone, COL has always been high, and since the big digs completion in 2005, not a ton has physically transformed the city that would stick out compared to other major cities outside of Seaport (which, to be fair, is a crazy neighborhood and has added a pretty substantial facelift to Boston's waterfront). Yes there's been plenty of building, but what city hasn't experience that expansion since the market bounced back?

So, while I do think Boston has changed, I'm not sure I'd say considerable strides more notable than any other major city in this country. It's always been established. It's biopharma and tech sectors are really the only thing I'd consider THAT different in the last decade. Denver? Seattle? Austin? Those are cities that have made considerable strides and really transformed in that window.

I would agree on Philadelphia in that I think it's a much more desirable place to live now than even a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City