Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Just because of NoVa, which geographically constitutes a very small part of the state.
Without we highly-educated power-earners in NoVA though the rest of Virginia would be an impoverished sewer. We send many more financial resources to Richmond than we receive in return, so while the rest of the state bashes us for supporting President Obama, tolerance, and gay civil equality they really ought best to bear in mind that we are propping them up. We are the densest populated area of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Without we highly-educated power-earners in NoVA though the rest of Virginia would be an impoverished sewer. We send many more financial resources to Richmond than we receive in return, so while the rest of the state bashes us for supporting President Obama, tolerance, and gay civil equality they really ought best to bear in mind that we are propping them up. We are the densest populated area of Virginia.
I understand all that, but I'm not sure what it has to do with what I was saying. Overall, Virginia is still a Southern state, or at best one with a bit of a split identity of sorts.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Right...Norfolk isn't much of an economic engine...Charlottesville isn't educated...Richmond doesn't have all of those Fortune 500 HQs and VCU...Roanoke is pretty much nothing...all just one big "impoverished sewer".

Even smaller places like Lynchburg and Blacksburg have their own special character and don't in any way depend on Northern Virginia for anything. Beautiful rural areas that depend on agriculture, horses, history, tourism, etc. are just as important.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Why do people in Virginia think that NC is southern while they are not? Or am I missing something here?
Well because the South starts in VA

Old 07-11-2009, 06:17 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well because the South starts in VA
On who's authority? Someone who has no knowledge of the South?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:32 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
On who's authority? Someone who has no knowledge of the South?
I have knowledge of the South silly. Don't I live in the South?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 PM

542 posts, read 991,321 times
It's a perception issue for VA being southern or not. Its role in the civil war is undeniable, but to me and many others here it's ancient history. There are more traditional southeren areas along the border of NC, and anywhere between the Rappahannock river and the James River is kind of a transitional zone to me. Coming from farther northern states, VA is very southern, but believe me to someone from the deep south, VA is not southern anymore. I broke down in GA once and as soon as the tow truck driver learned I was from VA it got real cold real fast. And I have had some native Floridians refer to me as a yankee. Both of these caught me off guard. I thought it was funny though. I think VA is more accurately mid-atlantic since it is a meeting point for north and south, and also geographically it is mid-atlantic.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I broke down in GA once and as soon as the tow truck driver learned I was from VA it got real cold real fast.
If it was since the November elections, then you know why.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 AM

386 posts, read 986,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Dont compare us to NC please, I moved to Wilmington from Newport News. Maybe im just not a fan of the southern way and southern accents. But I really dont like it, and this is supposedly "NC's Best Kept Secret", I would rather Virginia be compared to Maryland.
I believe VA is much more similar to NC than MD. Most of VA is a very rural state with no major cities like a DC or a Baltimore. I have heard of Richmond, Lynchburg, Roanoke all referred to as "country type" cities to people from Maryland. Most of VA still has the southern way and the southern accent is still alive in VA in many places. Take a trip to any place in Richmond and southwest or west of the area and you will hear the accent about as frequently as NC. Visit Lynchburg and Appomatox especially! Tidewater is a mixture of North/south and NOVA has a northern influence overall.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 AM

386 posts, read 986,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
It's a perception issue for VA being southern or not. Its role in the civil war is undeniable, but to me and many others here it's ancient history. There are more traditional southeren areas along the border of NC, and anywhere between the Rappahannock river and the James River is kind of a transitional zone to me. Coming from farther northern states, VA is very southern, but believe me to someone from the deep south, VA is not southern anymore. I broke down in GA once and as soon as the tow truck driver learned I was from VA it got real cold real fast. And I have had some native Floridians refer to me as a yankee. Both of these caught me off guard. I thought it was funny though. I think VA is more accurately mid-atlantic since it is a meeting point for north and south, and also geographically it is mid-atlantic.
I believe it honestly depends on the person. You probably don't have much of a southern accent, or you have a northern aura about yourself that make people refer to you as a yankee. I have friends with accents who visit Alabama and Georgia every year and they tell me that they never get called Yankee and people accept them as being southerners. At the same time I have had people in Maryland act like I'm supposed to be a hick because Im from VA south of NOVA. I have another friend who talks like "wassup son" and "wassup b" and when he visits GA they say VA is northern and he is a northerner. It's trully all in how the person carries themselves in VA to how people percieve the state and the individual person in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City