Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
....then why does san francisco go and lump itself with san jose?
Because it needs to in order to play with the big boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM

205 posts, read 298,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Hmmm that is a good point.

SF boosters scream to high heaven if San Jose isn't included in their stats to pad their numbers. DC'ers don't care when Baltimore isn't lumped with them, NYC doesn't care if Bridgeport isn't merged with them, Dallas doesn't whine when Ft. Worth isn't in the mix.

Ironically, while SF boosters cling to San Jose for dear life San Jose residents couldnt care less about San Francisco from the tone of San Jose posters on this forum and what I noticed when I was in the Bay Area.

San Jose and it's inhabitants are quiet and have nothing to prove (how many times have you heard a San Jose poster even discuss GDP/ranking/"desireability"?). San Francisco on the other hand is all about getting NYC to notice them lol.

Last edited by sputnikkk; 03-28-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
SF and SJ have always been lumped together as a metro. SJ has grown enough in the past 20 years to be pretty good on its own. The SF peninsula isn't considered a suburb of San Jose, but many Peninsula dwellers commute south. The Bay Area is considered the entire nine county region: San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Marin, Napa, Solano and Sonoma.

SJ has just been trying to grow its city limits to include the entire Bay Area so they'll get more recognition.

The definition of the Bay Area MSA is SF-Oakland-SJ. The CSA is encroaching on Santa Cruz and San Joaquin Counties.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Nice, Minneapolis is #14.

Although the picture is fake, way to do your research businessinsider.com

Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Hmmm that is a good point.

SF boosters scream to high heaven if San Jose isn't included in their stats to pad their numbers. DC'ers don't care when Baltimore isn't lumped with them, NYC doesn't care if Bridgeport isn't merged with them, Dallas doesn't whine when Ft. Worth isn't in the mix.

Ironically, while SF boosters cling to San Jose for dear life San Jose residents couldnt care less about San Francisco from the tone of San Jose posters on this forum and what I noticed when I was in the Bay Area.

San Jose and it's inhabitants are quiet and have nothing to prove (how many times have you heard a San Jose poster even discuss GDP/ranking/"desireability"?). San Francisco on the other hand is all about getting NYC to notice them lol.
I don't think you understand how the bay area works. I question whether you have spent any significant time here. The bay area is one mega area linked together with many different unique economies. SF'ers commute down to SJ vice versa. People do the same with Oakland. The suburbs all have their own cool little thing. They are all linked with pretty good public transportation. You must also realize that SF and Sanjose are both connected with a continuous shopping/housing/business on both sides of the bay. There is hippy Berkeley in which many SF'ers go to visit and have a good time. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are a lot of unique towns and cities which make up the entire Bay Area. It is not like most cities where you have suburbs and everybody goes to the ONE downtown to have fun. There is Napa valley, Silicon Valley, San jose, Oakland, Berkeley, Napa valley with wine country, Walnut Creek, and so on. All these towns/cities/areas are unique and all of them make up what is called bay area. When Bay Area locals tell outsiders where they live, they often times say "the Bay Area."

If you only count SF then of course we can't compete but if you live here this is not the ONLY unique place that makes up the Bay Area. Where I lived in the bay area was right over the Oakland hills nestled in a small valley. We were 10 minutes from Berkeley, Oakland, and Walnut Creek. We were twenty five minutes (no traffic) to SF, and 45 min to an hour to San Jose, Napa Valley, Marine, Silicon valley. All of these places combine to make the Bay Area. Each one is important in their own way and that is why the bay area is so unique of a place.

As an entire connected area, we can "compete" as you call it, with most areas in the united states whether it be the Philadelphia area, the DC area, the Seattle area, LA area, Chicago area... and so on. New York is hard to compete by its sheer size and population but there are aspects which make the the Bay Area a better place IMHO.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm: the Bay should really be at #4 with a GDP of $483B. It is pretty odd that the separated San Jose from SF, considering they are the same Metro area.
I don't think they're considered officially as the same metro, except by the locals.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
I don't think you understand how the bay area works. I question whether you have spent any significant time here. The bay area is one mega area linked together with many different unique economies. SF'ers commute down to SJ vice versa. People do the same with Oakland. The suburbs all have their own cool little thing. They are all linked with pretty good public transportation. You must also realize that SF and Sanjose are both connected with a continuous shopping/housing/business on both sides of the bay. There is hippy Berkeley in which many SF'ers go to visit and have a good time. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are a lot of unique towns and cities which make up the entire Bay Area. It is not like most cities where you have suburbs and everybody goes to the ONE downtown to have fun. There is Napa valley, Silicon Valley, San jose, Oakland, Berkeley, Napa valley with wine country, Walnut Creek, and so on. All these towns/cities/areas are unique and all of them make up what is called bay area. When Bay Area locals tell outsiders where they live, they often times say "the Bay Area."

If you only count SF then of course we can't compete but if you live here this is not the ONLY unique place that makes up the Bay Area. Where I lived in the bay area was right over the Oakland hills nestled in a small valley. We were 10 minutes from Berkeley, Oakland, and Walnut Creek. We were twenty five minutes (no traffic) to SF, and 45 min to an hour to San Jose, Napa Valley, Marine, Silicon valley. All of these places combine to make the Bay Area. Each one is important in their own way and that is why the bay area is so unique of a place.

As an entire connected area, we can "compete" as you call it, with most areas in the united states whether it be the Philadelphia area, the DC area, the Seattle area, LA area, Chicago area... and so on. New York is hard to compete by its sheer size and population but there are aspects which make the the Bay Area a better place IMHO.
I don't think YOU understand that it matters not one jot how things are in life. Yes people talk about the Bay Area as a whole, but the USCB classes them as separate metros. You wanna take it up with them, do. They may soon become just one metro, but for now, even if you think they should be together, they aren't.

Last edited by BruceTenmile; 03-29-2011 at 03:38 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post

Very fair points and I agree to an extent but you have to understand that it is hard for many East Coasters to grasp the idea of San Jose and San Francisco being one metro when Philly and NYC are 1 Hour apart by train and Baltimore and DC are even closer.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I don't think YOU understand that it matters not one jot how things are in life. Yes people talk about the Bay Area as a whole, but the USCB classes them as separate metros. You wanna take it up with them, do. They may soon become just one metro, but for now, even if you think they should be together, they aren't.
hahahaha...they are combined.

Into a single Combined Statistical Area.

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1,379,570 Billion
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metro Area $78,805
Kingston, NY Metro Area $4,636
New Haven-Milford, CT Metro Area $38,834
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metro Area $1,210,387
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Metro Area $21,499
Torrington, CT Micro Area
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metro Area $25,409

2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $876.468 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metro Area $730,941
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metro Area $34,962
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metro Area $110,565

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $550.549 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $138,420
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $407,463
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,666

4. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $535.327 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,057
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $335,563
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $147,370
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,969
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $19,603
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $15,765

5. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $515.119 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $508,712
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,054
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,353

6. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $411.505 Billion
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metro Area $298,256
Concord, NH Micro Area
Manchester-Nashua, NH Metro Area $20,865
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA Metro Area $64,341
Worcester, MA Metro Area $28,043

7. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $363.201 Billion
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area $363.201

8. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $359.835 Billion
Athens, TX Micro Area
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area $356,615
Sherman-Denison, TX Metro Area $3,220

9. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $354.573 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area $335,112
Reading, PA Metro Area $14,588
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metro Area $4,873

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $270.856 Billion
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area $264.700
Gainesville, GA Metro Area $6,156

11. Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area $252.647 Billion

12. Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA CSA $251.636 Billion
Bremerton-Silverdale, WA Metro Area $8,809
Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA Metro Area 5,219
Oak Harbor, WA Micro Area
Olympia, WA Metro Area $8,811
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA Metro Area $228,797

13. Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI CSA $217.394 Billion
Ann Arbor, MI Metro Area $17,583
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI Metro Area $185,800
Flint, MI Metro Area $10.816
Monroe, MI Metro Area $3,495

14. Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI CSA $197.396 Billion
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metro Area $189,801
St Cloud, MN Metro Area $7,595

15. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ Metro Area $190.725 Billion

16. Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO CSA $177.511 Billion
Boulder, CO Metro Area $17,581
Denver-Aurora, CO Metro Area $152,868
Greeley, CO Metro Area $7,062

17. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA Metro Area $171.471 Billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson662001
On the world stage, most of the American 'big boys' are virtual unknowns compared to San Francisco.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
hahahaha...they are combined.

Into a single Combined Statistical Area.

1. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1,379,570 Billion
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metro Area $78,805
Kingston, NY Metro Area $4,636
New Haven-Milford, CT Metro Area $38,834
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metro Area $1,210,387
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Metro Area $21,499
Torrington, CT Micro Area
Trenton-Ewing, NJ Metro Area $25,409

2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $876.468 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Metro Area $730,941
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metro Area $34,962
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metro Area $110,565

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $550.549 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $138,420
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $407,463
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,666

4. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $535.327 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,057
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $335,563
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $147,370
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,969
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $19,603
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $15,765

5. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $515.119 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $508,712
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,054
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,353
the op put up an msa list. dc/bmore and sf/sj may be combined due to development but they're still two different areas just like nyc/philly already are or will be likely next census. i think csa is stupid economically, all it is is being lucky enough to be close enough to another city that you get to "cheat" and add in that other city's gdp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City