Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country do you prefer to Live based on Criteria given?
Canada 40 16.53%
United States 202 83.47%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Apparently you are mistaken Bruce. The numbers can only be inflated for Canada, not the U.S..
One would figure having a murder rate 15x as high would translate into a similar rape rate; how can you not be sceptical.

Last edited by ThroatGuzzler; 03-31-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
It may just be that Canadians are more likely to report sexual assault than Americans.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
One would figure having a murder rate 15x as high would translate into a similar rape rate; how can you not be sceptical.
I gotta agree here. It would seem more logical.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Canada does not offer much than the US does.

However, Canada is more civilized. It doesn't have much corporate interest. It doesn't have the death penalty. It offers its citizens free healthcare. Canada shares its wealth more proportionally than the US does.Canada has a smaller income gap.
A social democracy is not everyone's idea of "civilized" and certainly not something we all aspire to.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Canada does not offer much than the US does.
However, Canada is more civilized. It doesn't have much corporate interest. It doesn't have the death penalty. It offers its citizens free healthcare. Canada shares its wealth more proportionally than the US does.Canada has a smaller income gap.
"Free Healthcare" in Canada! lol. You aren't serious are you?

Canada taxes their people to death and the wait time is a crime and the care is sub par. Please don't distort the truth. The facts are out there for anyone who cares to educate themselves.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

Canada taxes their people to death and the wait time is a crime and the care is sub par. Please don't distort the truth. The facts are out there for anyone who cares to educate themselves.
I can't comment on the precise healthcare in Canada, but in Britain, where we have the NHS, yes, we have to pay pretty high taxes, but when we have a busted leg, or need an operation, you may have to wait for the latter, but you won't be charged for it.

I twisted my knee skiing in Colorado in 2004 and for a knee brace and 3 hours care, we (my parents, or their insurers, or something) had to pay out $900. I'd rather have to pay higher taxes.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Why? The vast majority of murders in my city (Boston) have absolutely nothing to do with violence against women. They are mainly drug or gang related.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I can't comment on the precise healthcare in Canada, but in Britain, where we have the NHS, yes, we have to pay pretty high taxes, but when we have a busted leg, or need an operation, you may have to wait for the latter, but you won't be charged for it.

I twisted my knee skiing in Colorado in 2004 and for a knee brace and 3 hours care, we (my parents, or their insurers, or something) had to pay out $900. I'd rather have to pay higher taxes.
Really? Well I guess you reside in the right country.
Not me. I'd rather pay for the care I need instead of being taxed to the nines my entire life. How depressing.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:

This is just right-wing propaganda, not the truth. Canada's federal tax burden is only slightly more than the US', and some provinces have very low provincial taxes (I believe Albertans pay less than many U.S. residents). Medical wait times can be just as long in the States. Plus, if you can't afford health insurance in the States, you could end up bankrupt from medical bills -- or dead because you couldn't pay for a life-saving operation.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Really? Well I guess you reside in the right country.
Not me. I'd rather pay for the care I need instead of being taxed to the nines my entire life. How depressing.
I say pretty high, they are still lower than loads of countries. I'm not at all sure that the taxes are much higher than when you add on medical insurance to your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City