Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Like I said. Whatever reason many Texans have, I don't know. Many will say they are Southerners. But most will say they are Texans before Southerners from my personal experience growing up in Texas. Some will say they are even Southwestern. Some will say Northern Mexico. But whatever reason they have for Texas being in a particular reason is on them.

Once again, being that Texas is a transitional state and was part of the frontier West, I've come to the conclusion that Texas will always be debated. Especially since the demographics are rapidly changing.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I just don't buy the idea that when a place changes, modernizes, densifies, urbanizes, etc. it becomes non-southern. This doesn't happen in any of the other three regions of the U.S. I think it stems from a negative feeling regarding the South and some people's desire to NOT be a part of it. Those folks should keep in mind that the 2011 South is not the South of the past...most of the region has "changed" in ways that would not be necessarily southern to them.

Maybe we need to come up with a new title for our region? It might help people get over this stigma associated with being included in the South - I don't know.
Rural southerners promote this idea just as much as outsiders do. I don't know if it's a fear of letting go of the past or what, but I agree.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I just don't buy the idea that when a place changes, modernizes, densifies, urbanizes, etc. it becomes non-southern. This doesn't happen in any of the other three regions of the U.S. I think it stems from a negative feeling regarding the South and some people's desire to NOT be a part of it. Those folks should keep in mind that the 2011 South is not the South of the past...most of the region has "changed" in ways that would not be necessarily southern to them.

Maybe we need to come up with a new title for our region? It might help people get over this stigma associated with being included in the South - I don't know.
Preach, Deacon.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Texas, like Florida is going to be debated by people on it's 'Southerness'. People have made arguments for both sides until their fingers fell off and guess what? People are still going to stubbornly hold on to their opinions no matter what, and it's going where? Nowhere!

I personally think that most of Texas, especially East of I-35 as the South, but there are other regions of the state that are not 'Southern' to me at all. Like Missouri or Oklahoma, it's a state where several regions overlap. El Paso has little in common with Beaumont. Marshall has little in common with Van Horn. Lubbock and McAllen may as well be in different states. I could go on. I don't think of the Trans-Pecos or South Texas as the 'South' at all. There are those who will feel otherwise, oh well.

But since this thread isn't about that, it's time for another You-Tube-ifesto! I see the northeast portion of the SHTR has finally opened.

YouTube - Sam Houston Toll Road ( East Beltway 8 )

YouTube - Houston Intercontinental Airport Terminal Drivethrough

YouTube - Fort Bend / WestPark Toll Road Houston,TX

YouTube - Driving under the Atlanta Airport Runways

YouTube - Atlanta Airport Driving, Pt. 3

YouTube - Downtown Fort Worth, TX At Night

YouTube - Driving into Dallas Fort Worth Airport

Old 04-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Texas, like Florida is going to be debated by people on it's 'Southerness'. People have made arguments for both sides until their fingers fell off and guess what? People are still going to stubbornly hold on to their opinions no matter what, and it's going where? Nowhere!
Yep. Basically conceded that it's going to be a debate along with Florida and what it looks like now, Virginia. That's exactly why I stopped talking about it as well. It's going to be a never ending debate and it's going to be talked about even more in the coming decades.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yep. Basically conceded that it's going to be a debate along with Florida and what it looks like now, Virginia. That's exactly why I stopped talking about it as well. It's going to be a never ending debate and it's going to be talked about even more in the coming decades.
Yeah. That's why this debate never goes anywhere.

Texans aren't ashamed of their southern heritage or think were better than the south. It's just a geographically large state with diverse history and culture. I wish people would kill the pride thing becaus it has little to do with pride and more to do with idenitity crisis.

Good luck trying to tell someone that grew up El Paso they're southern and good luck trying to tell someone that grew up in East Texas they're southwestern.

In Texas schools; when it comes to Texas story. Little is taught about the southern elements and more about the western influences. In my experience; very few of my teachers have ever called Texas a southern state; it was usually southwestern or western.

I have no shame of my southern hertiage or that Texas has strong southern influence and history, but it will always depend on where you were born and raised in Texas.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah. That's why this debate never goes anywhere.

Texans aren't ashamed of their southern heritage or think were better than the south. It's just a geographically large state with diverse history and culture. I wish people would kill the pride thing becaus it has little to do with pride and more to do with idenitity crisis.

Good luck trying to tell someone that grew up El Paso they're southern and good luck trying to tell someone that grew up in East Texas they're southwestern.

In Texas schools; when it comes to Texas story. Little is taught about the southern elements and more about the western influences. In my experience; very few of my teachers have ever called Texas a southern state; it was usually southwestern or western.

I have no shame of my southern hertiage or that Texas has strong southern influence and history, but it will always depend on where you were born and raised in Texas.
You grew up in Central Texas just like me and in our 7th grade Texas history class, you was taught the same things as I. We never discussed Texas being a Southern state. We focused on Texas being part of the frontier West. Understand that part people. That doesn't mean it is the West. But apart of the frontier West just like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakota's and points westward.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Unless they're from the most suburban parts of Houston and they visit the more "rustic" parts of Atlanta, I can't imagine anyone getting from one visit that any city was overwhelmingly more southern than the other. There's not much that's in-your-face southern about the most city parts of Atlanta. Sure, you'll notice the lack of Hispanics, the extra pines and all the kudzu, but still...

It depends what angle you're looking at it from. If you're from Sugar Land or Clear Lake and you're visiting College Park or Stone Mountain, then yeah Atlanta will seem way more southern. But if you're from the Fifth Ward or North Forest and you're visiting Bankhead or Adamsville, then you'll likely feel right at home.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You grew up in Central Texas just like me and in our 7th grade Texas history class, you was taught the same things as I. We never discussed Texas being a Southern state. We focused on Texas being part of the frontier West. Understand that part people. That doesn't mean it is the West. But apart of the frontier West just like Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakota's and points westward.

Or "Western South"? :runs:

Old 04-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Or "Western South"? :runs:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City