Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
New Orleans should consider having a red light district again.
The whole city is kind of a red light district.

Have you been to New Orleans? The strip clubs and the like are pretty aggressive about flaunting their "merchandise". The city is probably closest in the U.S. to a European-style red light district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
I was thinking about the women posing in the windows.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It did? seriously? like Amsterdam?
In the early 20th Century, Storyville was probably the most famous red light district in the US until it was closed at the insistence of the Army and Navy at the start of the US entry into World War I. The commanding brass said it was a "bad influence" on soldiers or sailors stationed nearby or shipping out of New Orleans. It was torn down in the 1930s and now is occupied by the Iberville housing projects.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
The whole city is kind of a red light district.

Have you been to New Orleans? The strip clubs and the like are pretty aggressive about flaunting their "merchandise". The city is probably closest in the U.S. to a European-style red light district.
No no no no no no no no no no no the city is not a red light district. Go there and think that and you will end up in the drunk tank like the other Bourbon idiots. The only place strippers are aggressive like that is on Bourbon St, for you tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
In the early 20th Century, Storyville was probably the most famous red light district in the US until it was closed at the insistence of the Army and Navy at the start of the US entry into World War I. The commanding brass said it was a "bad influence" on soldiers or sailors stationed nearby or shipping out of New Orleans. It was torn down in the 1930s and now is occupied by the Iberville housing projects.
The Iberville has mostly been demolished in place for mixed-income housing.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No no no no no no no no no no no the city is not a red light district. Go there and think that and you will end up in the drunk tank like the other Bourbon idiots. The only place strippers are aggressive like that is on Bourbon St, for you tourists.
It's a joke, I'm not a tourist, and no, Bourbon Street is not the only place in NO with strip clubs.

Most strip clubs in NO aren't around Bourbon Street. Those are only for the tourists.

And NO has lots of swingers clubs and types of places that aren't as common in other U.S. cities. This is part of the local DNA, and isn't just for visiting tourists.

It's not even a sex thing; NO is just more laid back than most cities, and doesn't really care about being uptight (which, in the South, is a rare thing).

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It's a joke, I'm not a tourist, and no, Bourbon Street is not the only place in NO with strip clubs.

Most strip clubs in NO aren't around Bourbon Street. Those are only for the tourists.

And NO has lots of swingers clubs and types of places that aren't as common in other U.S. cities. This is part of the local DNA, and isn't just for visiting tourists.

It's not even a sex thing; NO is just more laid back than most cities, and doesn't really care about being uptight (which, in the South, is a rare thing).
Sorry. I know all of this, just thought you were making it out to be something it's not.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
No offense, but who cares?
Well since you care so much about European visitors I figured we might as well talk about which of the two cities far more Europeans actually go to.

Why do you suppose San Francisco receives far more European visitors than New Orleans? Hmmm?

Quote:
Atlanta has tons of direct flights from overseas. So do Dallas and Houston. Heck, so does Detroit.
San Francisco is a bigger point of origin & destination than all of those airports-actually.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...arkets-us.html

Quote:
I agree that SF offers more diverse cultural and recreational amenities and obviously proximity to high paying jobs. I do not agree about weather, though. SF does not have very good weather, though the East Bay and Peninsula are much better.
Compared to New Orleans, which is a hot and humid mess, the Bay Area's Mediterranean climate is sublime-let's not kid ourselves.

Quote:
In short, SF, to me, is not as good of a "deal" as NYC and LA. With NYC, you pay a lot, but you live in arguable the greatest city on earth.
Oh so you know New Orleans can't really compare to San Francisco so you rush to inject New York into the discussion. LOL

By the way, as I've stated time and time again, New York's greatness is almost exclusively due to Manhattan--the rest of the city is largely subpar from a quality of life standpoint.

San Francisco and it's surroundings are really much nicer on average, far more livable and generally more pleasant. Quite frankly.

Quote:
With LA, you pay a bit less
Yeah, once again trying to inject another city into the thread because NOLA can't really compare to SF---LA is less expensive, that's correct.

Please ponder on that.

Quote:
I am not ripping on SF by any means.
Well you really can't.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well since you care so much about European visitors I figured we might as well talk about which of the two cities far more Europeans actually go to.

Why do you suppose San Francisco receives far more European visitors than New Orleans? Hmmm?

San Francisco is a bigger point of origin & destination than all of those airports-actually.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...arkets-us.html

Compared to New Orleans, which is a hot and humid mess, the Bay Area's Mediterranean climate is sublime-let's not kid ourselves.

Oh so you know New Orleans can't really compare to San Francisco so you rush to inject New York into the discussion. LOL

By the way, as I've stated time and time again, New York's greatness is almost exclusively due to Manhattan--the rest of the city is largely subpar from a quality of life standpoint.

San Francisco and it's surroundings are really much nicer on average, far more livable and generally more pleasant. Quite frankly.

Yeah, once again trying to inject another city into the thread because NOLA can't really compare to SF---LA is less expensive, that's correct.

Please ponder on that.

Well you really can't.
There really was no need to defend SF here.

And yes, New Orleans is comparable to San Francisco.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:58 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There really was no need to defend SF here.

And yes, New Orleans is comparable to San Francisco.
Well there are categories in which New Orleans actually rivals SF quite easily.

New Orleans has an incredible ambience about it, as does SF--just different and just as charming if not more so imo.

The people of New Orleans are quite friendly and pleasant in my experience.

New Orleans has a very unique culture about it and it's cuisine is just to-die-for.

And so forth...

Those are all excellent characteristics that most cities wish they had.

I love the city, but my comments are specifically to MichiVegas and not really about NOLA.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:

You claimed that SF was more appealing to Europeans because it was a busier air hub.

That's an absurd statement, because airports don't build hubs based on tourists. Atlanta Hartsfield has the busiest hub in the world.; so you would claim that Atlanta is the most appealing destination on earth for tourists?
Quote:
We're talking SF, not the Bay Area. SF weather sucks, and the prime neighborhoods are generally cool, and foggy year-round. New Orleans is warm maybe half the year; SF is not warm 100% of the year.
Quote:
No, I used NYC as an example to why SF is a worse choice than NO. The relative advantages of SF compared to NO are all destroyed by NYC, so if you wanted such things (density, transit, culture, cosmopolitan feel) within an American context, you would just go to NYC, not a city that has like 10% of NYC. In contrast, NO is unique within the US.
Quote:
This is quite obviously wrong. NYC's greatness is largely based on things that presently have little to do with Manhattan.

In terms of urbanity and transit, the Outer Boroughs of NYC absolutely destroy SF, or any other city in the U.S. And most of the culture and creativity in NYC has been outside of Manhattan for 20 years now. Same goes for almost all of the diversity and ethnic neighborhoods.

For the typical young, educated, talented person looking for an urban environment, Brooklyn is like 10 times more appealing than SF. For example, Park Slope > any neighborhood in SF; bar none.
Quote:
I agree with this. SF does have much nicer places outside of SF. But that's kind of a silly argument in favor of SF. One could say the same thing about Sacramento, Salinas or Santa Rosa; doesn't mean these are world class cities.
Quote:
And LA has much more than SF if you're looking for a big city experience or visiting as a tourist, all for less money. No one visits NO for the purpose of big city amenities, but that is SF's claim to fame, and yet NYC and LA pretty much destroy SF on those characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City