Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to remind some of you L.A Bashers that L.A was once just a Small Town while NYC and Chicago were already Large Cities during that time,but look how quickly L.A caught up to become the 2nd Largest U.S City with the 2nd Largest Economy...That's an incredible achievement in my opinion.

NYC and L.A overshadow Chicago,simply because of the Greater Media Coverage that goes on in NYC and L.A.

I like Chicago alot,and it does deserve to be given the same amount of attention as NYC and L.A,especially since it is the 3rd Largest U.S City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
We are talking about the urbanized areas here, aren't we? Thats why San Bernardino is considered part of another metro (San Bernardino-Ontario-Riverside) according to the US census bureau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Only if you exclude San Bernardino and the Inland Empire. That's a bit silly given the geography of Los Angeles.

Map of the region

Look at the continuous development between that area and Los Angeles city.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Speaking of denial. Yet again with this? What's the conspiracy here? Take a look at this map and tell us what you think should be different about it. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/Combined_Statistical_Areas.png (broken link)
Lammius, your map never quite got out of the gate, but from what I've gathered, it illustrates my point. The big green area representing what I think is the 5 county metro area of Los Angeles is twice the size, in area, of New York's. Any extra information wasn't represented. The people in that green area reside more toward the coast. San Diego isn't even counted, yet it's right there. However, New York's blue area runs up and down the east coast, taking in millions of people in what looks like Connecticut and New Jersey and Pennsylvania. You may think that's all right, L. A.'s metro seems twice the size in area, the counties involved go right up to the Nevada state line. But, have you ever driven out from L. A. to Victorville? Mountains in between. From Victorville to the state line? Barstow and Baker. The county areas extend far, but the people are basically on the coast. There is no one in that desert and hasn't been for the 30 years that I've been driving I-15. So, be content to have a New York metro count all of those out of state heads, Los Angeles doesn't have to to compete with you.

Last edited by milquetoast; 08-03-2007 at 03:12 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Now youre resorting to personal attacks? Sheesh. Not only that, but youre attacking 2 of America's greatest cities, both of which clearly outshine LA. How old are you anyway? How about this, you can call ME when youre in the area, Ill show you around, clearly youve never been to Chicago. What you see here will open your eyes and hopefully shut your mouth. And I wouldnt call you, it would be disheartening to call LA and have city hall answer with "buenos dias! Este de ciudad de Los Angeles!"
..And as for Steve-o, I assume that 'CTown' stands for Chicago. I knew you would get flustered when CTownNative threw your city under a bus by declaring it inferior, thus offering it up for critique and comparison. I'm just like you, though, and I like to vent and stick up for my hometown. We're both close to being reprimanded for being too personal, but I do agree that the people of Chicago, as well as New York, know how to defend their hometown. People in L. A. aren't that interested. Theyll crap on it first. Sometimes I feel like the only one defending it, and that just mystifies me. I just believe that Chicago is more of a self-made town and is more justified in doing so, whereas New York... not so much. I've been defending my hometown of Los Angeles to my friends here in Las Vegas all of my life- it's what I do.They just hate it! I also am never asked to elaborate on L. A., and I don't hang around people waiting to interject my L. A. stories the way someone from New York would. But I'll defend my hometown here. Just like you. Show me your town, I'd be greatly interested. I'm not the prude I sound like in print. I don't respect it, but I wouldn't mind seeing how New York has changed in the 33 years since I've been there. CTown however, may have had a bad experience with something L. A. oriented. You just don't write off the experience of going somewhere you've never been to. He's so insistent on it! Ahh..teenagers. Who's better? I know this: Tokyo makes us all look like a park.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
We are talking about the urbanized areas here, aren't we? Thats why San Bernardino is considered part of another metro (San Bernardino-Ontario-Riverside) according to the US census bureau.
That's the whole point. Usually, Orange county isn't even considered and is even more physically associated than the Inland Empire is. It's all the same, just configured differently than you, or the Census Bureau, are used to.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM

The people that have the insecurity issues that you're referring to are those Midwesterners who live in the distant suburbs, or way downstate. Real Chicagoans and New Yorkers in general are very proud of their city. Want some proof?

America's Favorite Cities: People | Travel + Leisure

I do agree that some folks in here are kinda arrogant and need to tone down their voice a bit ( I mean both sides)

Its obvious that LA gets more attention than Chicago thanks to Hollywood and its extensive media coverage. However, even having more people and a bit larger economy in size,I do think LA is still trailing Chicago in many aspects nowadays . If anyone wants a healthy debate about this, feel free to express your opinion, but please try to keep it civil and don't turn it into a pissing contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
I did read your post. I was just throwing in my two cents.

And Ill agree with the people who said that Midwesterners have some insecurity issues. I mean I'm from the Midwest. I've lived in the Midwest all my life. Midwestern cities like Chicago have their pros and cons. But some people on here will defend their Midwestern city 24/7 no matter what the issue is. I've noticed that that seems to be a Midwest thing. And a lot of the people who love the Midwest so much havn't even been to the west coast or east coast so they have nothing to compare it to. People from Chicago and Detroit in particular seem to get very defensive about their city.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-03-2007 at 03:59 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 03:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
"Why do NYC and L.A. always overshadow Chicago?"

Nobody really cares why, except we Chicagoans do get a little defensive when certain Coasters carry forth like Chicago is just a hayseed town with a giant skyline. I did find it amusing, however, that a number of respondents in this thread assumed the OP was from Chicago and used that as a basis for claiming we have an inferiority complex or that he's giving "us" a bad name when he doesn't even live here.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
The people that have the insecurity issues that you're referring to are those Midwesterners who live in the distance suburbs, or way downstate. Real Chicagoans and New Yorkers in general are very proud of their city. Want some proof?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2004/results.cfm?cat=people&group=native#]America's Favorite Cities: People | Travel + Leisure

I do agree that some folks in here are kinda arrogant and need to tone down their voice a bit ( I mean both sides)

Its obvious that LA gets more attention than Chicago thanks to Hollywood and its extensive media coverage. However, even having more people and a bit larger economy in size,I do think LA is still trailing Chicago in many aspects nowadays . If anyone wants a healthy debate about this, feel free to express your opinion, but please try to keep it civil and don't turn it into a pissing contest
Now, a pissing contest New York would win, hands down. And I do mean hands down. As to this mythical place and time of which you speak, this land called, 'nowadays', tell me... how does L. A. trail Chicago or anyone else in this realm of yours? You lobbed the bomb, now back it up. Keep it civil!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 AM

Sure. Lets discuss in another thread called LA vs Chicago. If we can't keep it civil then lets bash each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Now, a pissing contest New York would win, hands down. And I do mean hands down. As to this mythical place and time of which you speak, this land called, 'nowadays', tell me... how does L. A. trail Chicago or anyone else in this realm of yours? You lobbed the bomb, now back it up. Keep it civil!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:25 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Many Angelenos choose not to defend L.A at the same intensity that New Yorkers or Chicagoans defend their City,because L.A has gone through so many Stereotypes to a point where many Angelenos don't care about others negative opinion of L.A.

Most Native Angelenos Love L.A,but it's usually those who are from elsewhere that say crap about L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
but I do agree that the people of Chicago, as well as New York, know how to defend their hometown. People in L. A. aren't that interested. Theyll crap on it first. Sometimes I feel like the only one defending it, and that just mystifies me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City