Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
Most of those neighborhoods are actually working class/mixed income areas that happen to be dominated by minorities. Even though some Houstonians regard them as ghettos, most dont deserve that distinction especially when comparing to northern cities. Ask anyone from the rough areas of NY, Baltimore, or Philly that has been through there and for them its visually more appealing, less impoverished, and less ghetto then up north. In fact many peolple from up north call these areas country, not really ghetto or poor. Many of those neighborhoods have been through a consideral amount of gentrification as well and most I wouldnt consider comparable to Philly ghettos in any fashion. And I never said there wasnt poverty in Houston. It is just not comparable to Philly.
maybe our opinions of what looks poor is just different but I don't understand how these places don't look poor. I mean honestly I grew up in a pretty rough philly neighborhood, and while it wasn't exactly nice, the roads were at leasst paved and no one lived in what looks to be a third world shanty town.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,320 times
Quote:
Wow. I am really surprised by the Philly love on this forum. I have been three times. The city is in majority very rough compared to Houston( and I have driven through the good and bad parts) and I honestly did not feel comfortable. If you are not use to it, the dense-extreme poverty of many nighborhoods alone would make many feel uncomfortable. I live in Baltimore now but Philly just makes me nervous. If you just care about "history" and "architecture" you might as well walk around Baltimore too and I will love to see how that goes because those two cities come from the same cloth. Im surprised so many people like it really-but to each its own. There is way more money in Houston in general(what I mean is more people have money in their pockets!/even in the ghettos) and the extreme poverty is not as widespread across the city limits;but maybe I was in the wrong side of town.

On a side note:
The lack of zoning actually makes Houston quite unique from other cities as well as the diversity of culture I dont think you will find in Philly as much. Everyone knows what to expect from Philly and it is really not that unique from other east coast locations. Houston( and Texas for that matter) is more misunderstood as many people just don't understand it so they try to paint it with a broad brush to compare it to other sun belt cities, but you cant. Houston culturally has many things that I cant find anywhere else and I have been to many American cities.

Houston is The most misunderstood city in the country bottom line.
My thoughts exactly. I've lived all over the country (CA/CO/NM/NY) and Houston is TOTALLY misunderstood. It is what it is. Big, hot, auto-centric but filled with an incredibly diverse population, amazing food/shopping scene and a surprising array of nice public parks that can be used ALL year (Memorial, Hermann, Terry Hershey, Discovery Green etc). Other than climbing a mountain there really is NOT much I can't do here compared to other major cities. And personally I would still rather go outside when its 95 with humidity than when its 30f with 30mph winds.

And to whomever used 2008 and 2005 "statistics" to demonstrate that Philly is an economic powerhouse, that's pretty funny. Remember that little thing called a RECESSION that happened between then and now?? Philly took WAY more of a hit than Houston...energy has stayed strong especially in the last year. With oil at $100/bbl and probably going up or at least staying steady, Houston is an economic powerhouse at a GLOBAL level NOT just when compared to other US cities. Houston is the future, not the other way around.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Listen,said it before,the reason philly is winning in the poll is because houston don't have time for the lies people put on here.Don't past judgement on a city you have never been to.I will tell you like this if i am going northeast it will be nyc,going south houston,going west L.A.,going midwest chicago END PERIOD. Nothing excites people about an old city like philly but native americans other countries don't care about history there.
Houston Houston Houston!!!!!!!!!!!Listen up keep doing yo thang because PHILLY,NYC,and any other city don't like and never like HoUsToN who care. Always trying to make people think northeast is the promise land, Not!!!! So Houston keep moving and philly keep hating ,don't visit Houston,Houston don't care Ha Ha Ha

Lets see How Houston tops Philly

1. MORE GROWTH
2.BETTER ECONOMY
3.MORE POPULATION
4.NOT JAMMED UP ON EACH OTHER
5.MORE THINGS TO DO

I am pretty sure Philly will still hate but thats ok we took the number 4 spot from Philly Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're not helping.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
A lot of good music comes out of Philly. I love Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild, Bilal, Kindred, Teddy P, Patti Labelle, etc. And I used to be into Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Cassidy, and Roscoe "back in the day".

Will Smiff is still y'all's fault, though.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
A lot of good music comes out of Philly. I love Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild, Bilal, Kindred, Teddy P, Patti Labelle, etc. And I used to be into Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Cassidy, and Roscoe "back in the day".

Will Smiff is still y'all's fault, though.
What's wrong with Will?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
That's pretty much what I was driving at. Life along the Red Line is pretty much unlike anything you'll find in Texas; however, we all know that most in metro Atlanta get the most use out of their cars. When people say Houston and Atlanta are the "same", they're referring to the fact that both are sprawling, southern metros.
Thats from people who are usually dont use public transportation enough for it to matter.Lets face public transportation(heavy rail) is only available in like what 12 cities in the U.S.?Having lived in many cities with and without either I can tell you ITS a major difference.SO regardless if they are sprawling or not that s an important distinction.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're not helping.
LOL.You are SO right.Not at all.Every city has one.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thats from people who are usually dont use public transportation enough for it to matter.Lets face public transportation(heavy rail) is only available in like what 12 cities in the U.S.?Having lived in many cities with and without either I can tell you ITS a major difference.SO regardless if they are sprawling or not that s an important distinction.
No one said it wasn't. All I'm saying is that the average Houstonian gets around the same way the average Atlantan does.

MARTA makes a difference, but a highly convenient line going straight up and down, only serving a portion of the city isn't enough to say the two metros are drastically different.

Waronxmas said Houston can't provide him with the convenient lifestyle that Atlanta can, and that makes perfect sense. BUT he's the exception, not the rule. That's all I'm saying.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
If we became Philly; wouldn't we be downgrading?? No thanks.

There isn't a hurricane big enough to tear us down that much.

Like I said; know ya'll place:

1.NYC
2.DC
3.Boston
4.Philadelphia/Baltimore.

completely false.

Quote:
Wow. I am really surprised by the Philly love on this forum. I have been three times. The city is in majority very rough compared to Houston( and I have driven through the good and bad parts) and I honestly did not feel comfortable. If you are not use to it, the dense-extreme poverty of many nighborhoods alone would make many feel uncomfortable. I live in Baltimore now but Philly just makes me nervous. If you just care about "history" and "architecture" you might as well walk around Baltimore too and I will love to see how that goes because those two cities come from the same cloth. Im surprised so many people like it really-but to each its own. There is way more money in Houston in general(what I mean is more people have money in their pockets!/even in the ghettos) and the extreme poverty is not as widespread across the city limits;but maybe I was in the wrong side of town.

On a side note:
The lack of zoning actually makes Houston quite unique from other cities as well as the diversity of culture I dont think you will find in Philly as much. Everyone knows what to expect from Philly and it is really not that unique from other east coast locations. Houston( and Texas for that matter) is more misunderstood as many people just don't understand it so they try to paint it with a broad brush to compare it to other sun belt cities, but you cant. Houston culturally has many things that I cant find anywhere else and I have been to many American cities.

Houston is The most misunderstood city in the country bottom line.

That is also completely false, the per capita income in philly is much higher than houstons, not to mention, pennsylvania has more millionare households than texas, and the population in pa is half that of texas. Also, phillys metro area is i beliebe the 4th wealthiest metro in the area as far as wealth distribution, ill get the source on that. And the cost of living in philly is much higher than texas, so you can get by on much less in texas than philly or anywhere in the northeast.

[quote=WestCobb;19277140]I don't hate Houston. I don't know why it has a chip on its shoulder, but that seems to be a Texas thing, not necessarily a Houston thing. I live in a city a lot like Houston, Atlanta. For some reason, Houston boosters seem to hate Atlanta on this board, but the hate is not reciprocated.

I'd probably like Houston for a lot of the same reasons I like Atlanta. It's a suburbs+ kind of place -- ideal for raising a family and still enjoying some of the amenities of city life. As much as I love cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia, I won't raise my daughter in that kind of environment. At her age, a good quality of life is having a front yard in a house on a cul de sac where neighborhood kids can gather and play. I can't really find that in Philly (or if I could, not at a price I can afford), but I can in Atlanta and Houston.
quote]

There are suburbs in philly too, nice ones might i add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That is completely false-Please state facts and not opinions.

Master Card Centers of Commerce Index 2010

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Philadelphia

US Census Personal Income Ranking 2008
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philadelphia

US Cities GDP 2005
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia

People forget how economically powerful Philadelphia is because it happens to be so close to the most economically powerful city in world but Philadelphia certain holds it's own.
Excellent source, the boston wash corridor is the weathiest in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
The feelings is mutual. Houston natives are not concerned about Philly either(or the rest of the east coast new york included). I think Houston natives only get defensive because people still say things like "cowboy and have yerself some texmex and kick yer boots up". What?? How do I even respond to that?? Is that east coast arrogance or ignorance? I am forced to hear this all the time and I must admit it gets aggravating. At first I laugh it off, but then I like are you serious? PLease travel more. You can call Houston whatever you want but at least get these stereotypes straighten. And because Houston don't have rowhouses are a subway makes it not a city? Really?

And regarding the money, there are more people struggling in Philly than Houston. It is obvious and anyone can go and see with their own eyes. Anyone can come out to Houston and have a descent life with a modest paycheck(A household can easily make 40k a year, own a house and a couple of cars to boot) and live in a descent area. In Philly as the rest of the east coast cities, youre either rich and well off or horribly poor and Philly reflects this, just drive around it. But maybe this is what makes Philly a real city and makes Houston a glorified suburb.
Any proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Listen,said it before,the reason philly is winning in the poll is because houston don't have time for the lies people put on here.Don't past judgement on a city you have never been to.I will tell you like this if i am going northeast it will be nyc,going south houston,going west L.A.,going midwest chicago END PERIOD. Nothing excites people about an old city like philly but native americans other countries don't care about history there.
Houston Houston Houston!!!!!!!!!!!Listen up keep doing yo thang because PHILLY,NYC,and any other city don't like and never like HoUsToN who care. Always trying to make people think northeast is the promise land, Not!!!! So Houston keep moving and philly keep hating ,don't visit Houston,Houston don't care Ha Ha Ha

Lets see How Houston tops Philly

1. MORE GROWTH
2.BETTER ECONOMY
3.MORE POPULATION
4.NOT JAMMED UP ON EACH OTHER
5.MORE THINGS TO DO

I am pretty sure Philly will still hate but thats ok we took the number 4 spot from Philly Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where in the world did you come up with that list, i would like you to elaborate for me, and what does population have to do with the city, houston covers a larger area, and also the philly metro still surpasses houstons by over 2 million people i believe.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
What's wrong with Will?
We all know his music ain't good. He's a pretty funny guy though and he has some good film work under his belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City