Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Point taken!
Philly is a cool city but I can't get with the club music and big dudes with Philly beards dancing on the floor to that sh&t with capris on. What's up with that? It goes against the go hard Philly image that I grew up with?
Bwah-Haa-Ha-Haaa!!!! Big dudes with beards dancing to club (HOUSE??) wearing capris???
I'm cracking up!! What are capris? Cause I'm thinking Mary Tyler Moore..LMBO!
Soooo...Might I ask what (kinda) clubs were you hitting while there? Just asking..

Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
We've been here for over 300 years and not really all that concerend about anyone else..DAMM sure NOT Houston in the ways that you think. Now get over yerself cowboy and have yerself some texmex and kick yer boots up. [/quote]

The feelings is mutual. Houston natives are not concerned about Philly either(or the rest of the east coast new york included). I think Houston natives only get defensive because people still say things like "cowboy and have yerself some texmex and kick yer boots up". What?? How do I even respond to that?? Is that east coast arrogance or ignorance? I am forced to hear this all the time and I must admit it gets aggravating. At first I laugh it off, but then I like are you serious? PLease travel more. You can call Houston whatever you want but at least get these stereotypes straighten. And because Houston don't have rowhouses are a subway makes it not a city? Really?

And regarding the money, there are more people struggling in Philly than Houston. It is obvious and anyone can go and see with their own eyes. Anyone can come out to Houston and have a descent life with a modest paycheck(A household can easily make 40k a year, own a house and a couple of cars to boot) and live in a descent area. In Philly as the rest of the east coast cities, youre either rich and well off or horribly poor and Philly reflects this, just drive around it. But maybe this is what makes Philly a real city and makes Houston a glorified suburb.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
There is way more money in Houston in general(what I mean is more people have money in their pockets!/even in the ghettos) and the extreme poverty is not as widespread across the city limits;but maybe I was in the wrong side of town. .
Poverty not widespread across Houston. Puh-leez.

Third Ward:

All sizes | Eddy Lim | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mchasesteely/501839991/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Fourth Ward:

All sizes | Boarded up rowhouses on Victor Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuhf/4692329682/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Fifth Ward:

All sizes | Dutch Mill Cleaners | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizarrerecords/470636027/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

. . . Denver Harbor, Greenspoint, Sharpstown, South Loop, East Side, Northeast Loop . . .

Not saying Philly doesn't have its share of poverty, but com'on with posting such nonsense.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-23-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
We've been here for over 300 years and not really all that concerend about anyone else..DAMM sure NOT Houston in the ways that you think. Now get over yerself cowboy and have yerself some texmex and kick yer boots up.
The feelings is mutual. Houston natives are not concerned about Philly either(or the rest of the east coast new york included). I think Houston natives only get defensive because people still say things like "cowboy and have yerself some texmex and kick yer boots up". What?? How do I even respond to that?? Is that east coast arrogance or ignorance? I am forced to hear this all the time and I must admit it gets aggravating. At first I laugh it off, but then I like are you serious? PLease travel more. You can call Houston whatever you want but at least get these stereotypes straighten. And because Houston don't have rowhouses are a subway makes it not a city? Really?

And regarding the money, there are more people struggling in Philly than Houston. It is obvious and anyone can go and see with their own eyes. Anyone can come out to Houston and have a descent life with a modest paycheck(A household can easily make 40k a year, own a house and a couple of cars to boot) and live in a descent area. In Philly as the rest of the east coast cities, youre either rich and well off or horribly poor and Philly reflects this, just drive around it. But maybe this is what makes Philly a real city and makes Houston a glorified suburb.[/quote]

NO!! See that's NOT what I think but I do know that cultures there a lil bit. I'm sure like Atlanta is it's own entity in GA I am pretty sure it's the same for Houston in TX. I was just clowning cause of your post of my run down home town that picks fights cause we're so jealous of NY & DC..LOL

Just as people have their minds made up along with sterotypes about Houston it's the same with Philly! Trust me cause I've had plenty of friends visit while I was living in Cali and they All really enjoyed it and no one was rude or mean to them and they all said they'd love to visit again and they visited more places than Center City adjacents..

Could you place some pictures of Houstons neighborhoods both rich, middle class as well as the more worn areas? I'd like to see them.. What reason would I like to visit Houston.. Not being a wise guy but just what could I do there on a summer 3 day weekend? Thanks

Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Poverty not widespread across Houston. Puh-leez.

Third Ward:

All sizes | Eddy Lim | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mchasesteely/501839991/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Fourth Ward:

All sizes | Boarded up rowhouses on Victor Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuhf/4692329682/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Fifth Ward:

All sizes | Dutch Mill Cleaners | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizarrerecords/470636027/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

. . . Denver Harbor, Greenspoint, Sharpstown, South Loop, East Side, Northeast Loop . . .

Not saying Philly doesn't have its share of poverty, but com'on with posting such nonsense.
Most of those neighborhoods are actually working class/mixed income areas that happen to be dominated by minorities. Even though some Houstonians regard them as ghettos, most dont deserve that distinction especially when comparing to northern cities. Ask anyone from the rough areas of NY, Baltimore, or Philly that has been through there and for them its visually more appealing, less impoverished, and less ghetto then up north. In fact many peolple from up north call these areas country, not really ghetto or poor. Many of those neighborhoods have been through a consideral amount of gentrification as well and most I wouldnt consider comparable to Philly ghettos in any fashion. And I never said there wasnt poverty in Houston. It is just not comparable to Philly.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
True, but if they come looking for "cowboy culture" in Houston or Dallas, they'll largely be disappointed. We send people to Fort Worth for that stuff.

People may come looking for the GWTW motif in Atlanta, but y'all know better than to tout the city in that way. Let's keep it real, now. All the southern cities want to live down their stereotypes.
I dont think its negative if its a true representation of some lifestyle in the past present or future.Its something that is true then I see no reason to act as if it never existed.The city is multiple things not just one.Like I have always said Atlanta was country music before it was hip hop,and still has room for both today.Its not like Im saying put a slave plantation replica on Peachtree but if its the history and people want to know more,then what better place than the place that once inhabited that culture?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Whoa!!!! Here we go with this BS.. I'm from Philly and I know it's shortcomings as well as it's positives and am not in evnvy of it being between DC & NYC just like most in our town don't really care or talk about any of the two in our conversations outside of sports rivalries or whatever.
New York's always gonna be New York and it's cool living an hour or so away and always nice for a day trip or weekend. That's about it, people who desire to be there just usualy up & move. Doesn't take much.

As far as Houston.. Nothing against it but Philadelphians don't even "Think About the place"... ALL OF YOU New York & DC nut riders seem to feel YA'LL have something to PROVE to them..

We've been here for over 300 years and not really all that concerend about anyone else..DAMM sure NOT Houston in the ways that you think. Now get over yerself cowboy and have yerself some texmex and kick yer boots up.
Ok,let me break down this post:

"Blah blah blah.....BS......BS.....more BS......ignorance......clueless......more ignorance......aha, and more ignorance".

Hm, nothing to see here.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Ok,let me break down this post:

"Blah blah blah.....BS......BS.....more BS......ignorance......clueless......more ignorance......aha, and more ignorance".

Hm, nothing to see here.
You read & posted...,now didn't you?? Even more ignorant than what you deemed ignorant.. SMH

Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Most of those neighborhoods are actually working class/mixed income areas that happen to be dominated by minorities. Even though some Houstonians regard them as ghettos, most dont deserve that distinction especially when comparing to northern cities. Ask anyone from the rough areas of NY, Baltimore, or Philly that has been through there and for them its visually more appealing, less impoverished, and less ghetto then up north. In fact many peolple from up north call these areas country, not really ghetto or poor. Many of those neighborhoods have been through a consideral amount of gentrification as well and most I wouldnt consider comparable to Philly ghettos in any fashion. And I never said there wasnt poverty in Houston. It is just not comparable to Philly.
Opinion

Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
Listen,said it before,the reason philly is winning in the poll is because houston don't have time for the lies people put on here.Don't past judgement on a city you have never been to.I will tell you like this if i am going northeast it will be nyc,going south houston,going west L.A.,going midwest chicago END PERIOD. Nothing excites people about an old city like philly but native americans other countries don't care about history there.
Houston Houston Houston!!!!!!!!!!!Listen up keep doing yo thang because PHILLY,NYC,and any other city don't like and never like HoUsToN who care. Always trying to make people think northeast is the promise land, Not!!!! So Houston keep moving and philly keep hating ,don't visit Houston,Houston don't care Ha Ha Ha

Lets see How Houston tops Philly

1. MORE GROWTH
2.BETTER ECONOMY
3.MORE POPULATION
4.NOT JAMMED UP ON EACH OTHER
5.MORE THINGS TO DO

I am pretty sure Philly will still hate but thats ok we took the number 4 spot from Philly Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City