Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times

Advertisements

I'd have to go with Philadelphia on this one because it has history and I just really liked the city overall when I was there. Would love to be able to live there someday

Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
Oh god, easily Philadelphia. Not only is the city itself very interesting, and historic, it's close to other amazing cities like New York, Baltimore and DC. I also prefer Philly's climate.

Houston is the anti-Philadelphia. Also every Texan I've ever met has had the biggest ego complex for some reason, even though they chose to leave and move here to VA. And since Houston is the biggest city in Texas, I would assume that attitude would be ultra prevalent there.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Wow. I am really surprised by the Philly love on this forum. I have been three times. The city is in majority very rough compared to Houston( and I have driven through the good and bad parts) and I honestly did not feel comfortable. If you are not use to it, the dense-extreme poverty of many nighborhoods alone would make many feel uncomfortable. I live in Baltimore now but Philly just makes me nervous. If you just care about "history" and "architecture" you might as well walk around Baltimore too and I will love to see how that goes because those two cities come from the same cloth. Im surprised so many people like it really-but to each its own. There is way more money in Houston in general(what I mean is more people have money in their pockets!/even in the ghettos) and the extreme poverty is not as widespread across the city limits;but maybe I was in the wrong side of town.

On a side note:
The lack of zoning actually makes Houston quite unique from other cities as well as the diversity of culture I dont think you will find in Philly as much. Everyone knows what to expect from Philly and it is really not that unique from other east coast locations. Houston( and Texas for that matter) is more misunderstood as many people just don't understand it so they try to paint it with a broad brush to compare it to other sun belt cities, but you cant. Houston culturally has many things that I cant find anywhere else and I have been to many American cities.

Houston is The most misunderstood city in the country bottom line.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
From Small Restaurant to $125 Million Profit - Fox Business Video - FoxBusiness.com

Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
But It does exist in the big four, because it's right up there with the big four. Houston didn't just become the 4th largest city overnight, nor has it been arbitrarily assigned such. Since so many people here are caught up in numbers and scientific elements, why can't they deal with the reality that the CENSUS has verified that Houston is the 4th largest.

It does seem that people (on here at least) have a problem with Houston's status and population. This city is not 'acting like it can compete with older cities'. It can compete. The mere fact that something like this thread/poll is ever present, in attempt to discredit the city is evidence of that.

The problem is people keep trying to make Houston NYC South or Philly South. No, it does not have the old architecture. If people want that, then they should go to or move to those older, established cities, and stop bashing Houston for something it's not, and then bashing it , because your under the assumption (or want to believe) it's trying to be something it's not. You all can't have it both ways.

As far as this online poll, it's hardly scientific. Most here would vote for Philly simply out of spite for Houston. Nothing scientific about that at all.
I don't hate Houston. I don't know why it has a chip on its shoulder, but that seems to be a Texas thing, not necessarily a Houston thing. I live in a city a lot like Houston, Atlanta. For some reason, Houston boosters seem to hate Atlanta on this board, but the hate is not reciprocated.

I'd probably like Houston for a lot of the same reasons I like Atlanta. It's a suburbs+ kind of place -- ideal for raising a family and still enjoying some of the amenities of city life. As much as I love cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia, I won't raise my daughter in that kind of environment. At her age, a good quality of life is having a front yard in a house on a cul de sac where neighborhood kids can gather and play. I can't really find that in Philly (or if I could, not at a price I can afford), but I can in Atlanta and Houston.

Houston annoys me when it tries to be something it's not -- as does Atlanta for the record. Houston is not a city, city -- or I don't want to call it. It's like obscenity -- we all know it when we see it. Sunbelt "cities" just don't quite qualify. If you have to drive everywhere, you're not in a city. As for Houston's population, come on ... get real... it's 500+ square miles... there are a number of 500+ square mile areas in the U.S. that match the population of Houston.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:37 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
The city is in majority very rough compared to Houston( and I have driven through the good and bad parts) and I honestly did not feel comfortable. If you are not use to it, the dense-extreme poverty of many nighborhoods alone would make many feel uncomfortable.
if you honestly don't feel comfortable walking around philadelphia then you either went to the wrong places or you've got some issues yourself.

parts of philadelphia are very dangerous and in abject poverty. the majority of the city is not and is about as safe as you can get while being in a city of over 1.5 million people.

if you really don't feel safe walking around university city, bella vista, old city, northern liberties, center city, fairmount, etc, etc, then i have no idea how you manage to live in baltimore without being afraid of your shadow.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't hate Houston. I don't know why it has a chip on its shoulder, but that seems to be a Texas thing, not necessarily a Houston thing. I live in a city a lot like Houston, Atlanta. For some reason, Houston boosters seem to hate Atlanta on this board, but the hate is not reciprocated.

I'd probably like Houston for a lot of the same reasons I like Atlanta. It's a suburbs+ kind of place -- ideal for raising a family and still enjoying some of the amenities of city life. As much as I love cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia, I won't raise my daughter in that kind of environment. At her age, a good quality of life is having a front yard in a house on a cul de sac where neighborhood kids can gather and play. I can't really find that in Philly (or if I could, not at a price I can afford), but I can in Atlanta and Houston.

Houston annoys me when it tries to be something it's not -- as does Atlanta for the record. Houston is not a city, city -- or I don't want to call it. It's like obscenity -- we all know it when we see it. Sunbelt "cities" just don't quite qualify. If you have to drive everywhere, you're not in a city. As for Houston's population, come on ... get real... it's 500+ square miles... there are a number of 500+ square mile areas in the U.S. that match the population of Houston.
Do we really??? I haven't noticed. Btw, exactly what is Houston trying to be??? As far as I can see; we've already reached the level of Philadelphia. They are just two completely different cities, but diversity, power, culture, big city amenties and all can be found here.

I think you just have a skewed view of what is considered a city; subways, density and compact hoods don't equal city. That's just one aspect or version of a city. Cities come in different ways.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Oh god, easily Philadelphia. Not only is the city itself very interesting, and historic, it's close to other amazing cities like New York, Baltimore and DC. I also prefer Philly's climate.

Houston is the anti-Philadelphia. Also every Texan I've ever met has had the biggest ego complex for some reason, even though they chose to leave and move here to VA. And since Houston is the biggest city in Texas, I would assume that attitude would be ultra prevalent there.
Wait. You've never been so you're going off assumption of the place because you met a few ego complexed Texans? SMH. Houston is known as not having those type of attitudes and being very down to Earth. But oh well. Keep assuming.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Do we really??? I haven't noticed. Btw, exactly what is Houston trying to be??? As far as I can see; we've already reached the level of Philadelphia. They are just two completely different cities, but diversity, power, culture, big city amenties and all can be found here.

I think you just have a skewed view of what is considered a city; subways, density and compact hoods don't equal city. That's just one aspect or version of a city. Cities come in different ways.
Like I said. Why sunbelt cities and Southern cities are mentioned here is beyond me. I'm nearly done with the city vs city forum altogether though. I mean Houston is not a city? Then what in the world is it? There is no constructive criticism on this board. Just downright bashing.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
There is way more money in Houston in general(what I mean is more people have money in their pockets!/even in the ghettos)
That is completely false-Please state facts and not opinions.

Master Card Centers of Commerce Index 2010

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Philadelphia

US Census Personal Income Ranking 2008
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Philadelphia

US Cities GDP 2005
1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia

People forget how economically powerful Philadelphia is because it happens to be so close to the most economically powerful city in world but Philadelphia certain holds it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City