Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If given a choice of relocating to either city, I would most likely pick Philadelphia. It's closer to the type of city I like than Houston, but the main reasons are:

-It's only a short train ride away from NYC where most of my extended family resides.

-I'd rather trade another month and a half of winter than 3 more months of summer.
...but you're from Atlanta, though.... lol

Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
...but you're from Atlanta, though.... lol
Your point?

Just to set the record straight, I wasn't digging on Houston at all. It just lacks the one thing about a city that I feel is a must have: a subway. I prefer to get around on public transit and buses and light rail only just don't cut it for me. I grew up taking subway trains, and Philadelphia has a subway. Simply as that. If Houston were ever to get a subway then I'd reevaluate my choice, but would still probably not pull the trigger. The extra heat in Houston is just too much for me as the heat here goes on for about 3 weeks too long for me to handle.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Your point?

Just to set the record straight, I wasn't digging on Houston at all. It just lacks the one thing about a city that I feel is a must have: a subway. I prefer to get around on public transit and buses and light rail only just don't cut it for me. I grew up taking subway trains, and Philadelphia has a subway. Simply as that. If Houston were ever to get a subway then I'd reevaluate my choice, but would still probably not pull the trigger. The extra heat in Houston is just too much for me as the heat here goes on for about 3 weeks too long for me to handle.
Lol nevermind me. You know I'm always side-eyeing posts.

If someone grew up along the MARTA line then that definitely makes sense.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Lol nevermind me. You know I'm always side-eyeing posts.
No prob, I know how it goes on this particular forum. I'm not one those people who downs a city just because, hell I don't even believe in downing whole cities. I think it is ridiculous to do so in 2011 as only NYC and LA are leagues above other cities. In the rest of the largest 15 cities are so, I can't imagine how someone would lack for 90% of what they would expect to find in a major city.

After that it comes down to certain specific things that are just true about a city such as the type of climate they are set in or the presence certain COL amenities such as transit. The same reason I would not choose Houston (no subway) would also apply to Dallas, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland as well as Los Angeles and Miami to an extent.

But say I was forced to relocate to Houston, I wouldn't be one of those people who laments how different it is than where I come from (I know the standard line on here is that Houston and Atlanta are basically the same, but they aren't. Again, not in a bad way.) and instead I would try to embrace it the best way I can. Most of how great a city is for a person is directly tied to how much that person puts into making a city good for them.

Quote:
If someone grew up along the MARTA line then that definitely makes sense.
That would be me. I have never lived further than 5 blocks from a MARTA station and don't plan on starting anytime soon. If I were to relocate to another city it is an absolute must that I am 5 blocks or less from a subway train station.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Why can't you just stay in Australia? Say what you want about Houston, but it's in America, and you must love us enough to come here. Trust that you won't find many Texans clammering to get to Kangaroo Land.
If it meant I could live in the US I'd gladly live in Houston over my hometown of Perth, I might even learn to like it. At least it would be close to places like NYC instead of 30 hours away .

Houston probably does have some advantages over Philly, like mild winters, more affordable, but nothing I can't really find here back in Oz either.

Although life in Oz is better in many ways, America seems more exciting.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 AM

That's pretty much what I was driving at. Life along the Red Line is pretty much unlike anything you'll find in Texas; however, we all know that most in metro Atlanta get the most use out of their cars. When people say Houston and Atlanta are the "same", they're referring to the fact that both are sprawling, southern metros.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If it meant I could live in the US I'd gladly live in Houston over my hometown of Perth, I might even learn to like it. At least it would be close to places like NYC instead of 30 hours away .

Although life in Oz is better in many ways, America seems more exciting.
I hope to visit Australia one day and I know plenty of Americans would love to also. Ignore the ignorance from certain Houston posters in this thread, all you did was state your opinion and preference which is what this thread is about.. And now you're being attacked..lmao.. We (Americans) aren't all like this I promise.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was driving at. Life along the Red Line is pretty much unlike anything you'll find in Texas; however, we all know that most in metro Atlanta get the most use out of their cars. When people say Houston and Atlanta are the "same", they're referring to the fact that both are sprawling, southern metros.
Doesn't matter me as I don't live in that part of Atlanta nor have any desire to. The OTP folks are trying to get on board though. Maybe.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Sounds odd to say for a Kentuckian with a strong country accent but I have much stronger roots (historically) in Philadelphia than in the KY city where I live!

I'm an avid genealogist & I'd estimated 80% of my ancestors came in through the port of Philadelphia. Pretty much all my Scottish, German, and even one Swedish ancestor lived near Phila before later generations moved south in North Carolina and later westward into Kentucky. One ancestor (Israel Akkeson "Helm") was a gov't official in Colonial Phila. His daughter was baptised in Christ Church and is buried in Old Swedes Church cemetery in Downtown.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually here is the thing:Its a very biased poll.Period.In reality and factually, Philly in NOT in real life be growing at the rate this poll would suggest.Its not.So while its true Philly is winning this poll,it simply in real life patterns of where people are moving,does not hold truth.
I chose Philly personally ONLY because I have a lot of Family there and Public transportation.Other than that it was a vary close decision.If Houston keeps expanding the light rail system they have rapidly,it would be a big game changer.

Is this poll about growing or a preference - they are far different questions. What about cities like Boston or SF which are very much cities many people enjoy/prefer. Philly grew more than both of those; does that mean that people like Philly more? Some will probably likely more wont but the rationale on either has nothing (well growth is a factor but not the sole by any means) to do with growth. That is a poor rationale. So with that rationale Charlotte, RDU, OKC should all kill SF or Boston on preference, correct?

preference is subjective, and the growth of Houston anf many other cities isnt always about preference.

A lot has to do with the economy and cost of living. It is not as though either of these places are hurting for job opportunities or do not offer a lot. Both do. Will Houston grow quicker than Philly in the forceable future, absolutely.

Top drivers for growth are cheaper housing in an large are that offers a lot, good job growth and an economy coupled with warmer weather. Is that the panacea to all, no, to some absolutely.

This is not a shot at anyone (or even Afonga1) but I qouted the growth part in your reply and have seen it in here a few times. So really just more wanted to make a point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City