Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'll actually be passing through both in a few weeks when I go to America for the first time, so I'm treating my opinion as just an uneducated opinion and not making any conclusions, of course. But Philly seems to have way more of what I value from what I've read/seen (architecture, historic neighbourhoods, culture, quaint cobblestone lanes.etc). Houston the other hand seems just a pretty empty downtown for a city of 5 million (Sydney's downtown would blow Houston's away, judging from google maps) and the skyline is TOO futuristic for my tastes. Something like 1-2% of people take public transport which is pretty poor by any standards.
To live most people prefer Houston in America if I had to guess.Philly urban fabric makes it cool and interesting but it can also make it harder to live at times.It comes down to personal choice.However since you are visiting and you wish to experience America,Philly is the place I would recommend as ther is a better cultural experience of America.

Houston you can get a sub-culture of America that is quite different also.The Cowboys,Tex-Mex culture and even a little bit of Southern culture too.Its easy to read about a place but until you are actually there,certain nuances dont always show.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,081 times
[quote=gwillyfromphilly;19268865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post

With help from its massive annexation of land, so it kind of did happen overnight.

The title of the 4th largest city by virtue of the U.S. Census has been that way for many, many years. The census dictates that the city of Houston is approx. 2.25 million. This city is still growing.

Quote:
Because census numbers can be misleading when comparing certain cites. As for dealing with reality, the reality is that Philly is actually a more populated area than Houston.
No the census is not misleading. It has always been the official reference regarding a city's size/population. Only when the subject is Houston, is when it all-of-a-sudden comes into question or considered inaccurate or discredited. You all do not challenge or question the Census regarding any of the other top 5-10 cities of the U.S at the level that you've done regarding Houston.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Hi this Dee936 let me tell every one first, this past decade Philly had to set back an enjoyed the ride while Houston Drive. People People People!!!!!listen to yourself houston just had past Philly and took the number 4 spot then houston took over the metro pop by taken philly spot.LosAngeles ,Los Vegas ,Denver, and Seattle which is west coast don't hate on Dallas and Houston like east coast which is Philly,Atlanta,and Miami.First off smart O's Houston have not really grown the city limits that much in 20yrs so the millions that came made the city more denser.Another thing i consider atlanta more of east coast because they have the same snobby attitude like the cities i mention. Houston is one of the fastest growning citys in america an isn't really worried about what people are saying, can't believe yall are saying sprawel sprawel sprawel thats all i here, atlanta, is a sprawel made of nothing but small towns hooked together. On so many threads if it is Houston vs Atlanta Houston shuts them down when talking about economy, populations, and size.You never see houston on atlanta pages talking so bad about them u know y because Houston is in a totally different races then atlanta running behind.On every thread die hard atl people try to convince people from there city that just because westerns movies where made here that it is straight up country but when they decide to move to Houston they see thats how a city suppose to look.Now back to Philly because this is a Houston /Philly thread.Philly quit hating yall just hear everyone say the citys in the south are spraweling places and up there is jammed up.Houston is the denses city in the south. Houston probably has more People from around the world visit a year then Philly. One thing it is a recession if people from other countries are going too visit Northeast its NYC or Philly guess what it is NYC because it is so much to do and way more history then Philly ha ha ha so looks like yall need to pick a fight with BIG BRO NYC.As for Houston we're the most diversed in the south so that speaks a whole mouth full all the immigrants are defintely are going to invite there family and friends to come to america an guess what Houston will be the city they visit and love ,so much much love Htown shake those haters off because most people from the H didn't vote because they are some where in the metro enjoying the entertainment scene while Philly is still disappointed about the census because Houston took there spot and now behind an couldn't wait on a thread like this so they can bash houston.One more thing this is for atlanta when yall get a freeway system like houston yall might be able to play with the big boys untill then country country crack down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OKAY then....No one else brought up Atlanta but YOU.Maybe you are jealous of Atlanta is that why you brought it up in a Houston vs Philly thread?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,081 times
Quote:
Spite for Houston? lol. People just don't care for it, and are sick of constantly hearing about it.
when do they constantly hear about it? I watch the news, I watch sports. I watch movies, and dramas. The cities I always hear about are Seattle, Boston, NYC (of course) Chicago, Los Angeles (naturally), San Francisco, Atlanta (of course), and Miami. Or are you talking about just on City-Data. Because these still stand.

Quote:
It's a mass of low density sprawl that can be found in hundreds of other cities in the nation.
and....?

Quote:
If Houston dropped off the face of the earth no one would miss it.
your opinion... which basically confirms my position.

Quote:
For every Philly there are at least 30 Houstons. Actually no Philly is truly unique, as is Boston, SF, NOLA etc. So what if people go there cos it's warm and cheap, there are cities with 10 million in China nobody's ever heard of. Having more people does not make a city better at all.
see? spite. and envy. not good, Tri.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 PM

200 posts, read 294,979 times
Quote:
Spite for Houston? lol. People just don't care for it, and are sick of constantly hearing about it. It's a mass of low density sprawl that can be found in hundreds of other cities in the nation. If Houston dropped off the face of the earth no one would miss it. For every Philly there are at least 30 Houstons. Actually no Philly is truly unique, as is Boston, SF, NOLA etc. So what if people go there cos it's warm and cheap, there are cities with 10 million in China nobody's ever heard of. Having more people does not make a city better at all.
Not sure why you created this thread when this has been discussed to death in the past. Just by looking at the title of the thread, I knew this was going to be a north vs. sunbelt pissing match without reading the full nine pages. Sure enough it has.

Based on the first page, unless you are here on business, my question for you is why are you even coming to Houston at all when it seems like your not going to like it based on your perception of it right now. Your just wasting your money if you are coming to a city that's not appealing to you at all. The United States is a big country, so there are many other cities and spots to go to other than Houston and not waste your time or money if its not for you already. As a Houstonian, I welcome all visitors along with everyone else here, but were not going to pretend something that were not. No one is forcing anyone to come here. So if you think Houston is some generic Sunbelt city and are not willing to come with an open mind, I suggest you change your itinerary rather than take the risk of disappointment, because I understand this city not for everyone.

Btw, I probably would pick Philadelphia because it is more established on things such as transit and density, but sure it lacks some attributes I prefer such as diversity and an established Vietnamese community.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
To live most people prefer Houston in America if I had to guess.Philly urban fabric makes it cool and interesting but it can also make it harder to live at times.It comes down to personal choice.However since you are visiting and you wish to experience America,Philly is the place I would recommend as ther is a better cultural experience of America.

Houston you can get a sub-culture of America that is quite different also.The Cowboys,Tex-Mex culture and even a little bit of Southern culture too.Its easy to read about a place but until you are actually there,certain nuances dont always show.
Just how common is it to see real cowboys in Houston?

C'mon folks, these are more of the outdated perceptions of Houston. The culture is more accurately described as international-southern-Texan-Gulf Coastal

Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
I prefer Philadelphia and it's center city relative to Houston.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
This has become stupid. People making unimformed comments about Houston then a Houston defense of haters and a rationale that it is better and people prefer it. To me likely both unimformed. Some people will choose one or the other.

On which is bigger it has been doen a million times and no Queen the census metrics have their bias and actually today bias their metrics to larger land area places (both city limits and county). Both are large not huge. Houston has more people in a city limit more than4 times the physical size of Philadelphia and on MSA the census says about the same the big differance is the area around Philly is considerably more populated. Based on the census cuts areas that would be inside the CITY (not MSA) on a realtive distance from Philly are not even included in the population count but is neither here nor there. On a simple metric; say the number of people that live within 25 or 50 miles of the center of these cities they are actually considerably different with Philly have a lot more people but as was also stated pure population isnt the only measure. But just for perspective in the core 590 miles of Philly the population is close to 4.0 million compared to the 2.4-5 that live in Houston; actually a pretty large disparity.

The odd thing on here to me is the defense in that how could people prefer Philly to Houston it must be a conspiracy; how could this be, it must purely be some large CD conspiracy because no one in their right could possibly prefer Philadelphia to Houston...

Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This has become stupid. People making unimformed comments about Houston then a Houston defense of haters and a rationale that it is better and people prefer it. To me likely both unimformed. Some people will choose one or the other.

On which is bigger it has been doen a million times and no Queen the census metrics have their bias and actually today bias their metrics to larger land area places (both city limits and county). Both are large not huge. Houston has more people in a city limit more than4 times the physical size of Philadelphia and on MSA the census says about the same the big differance is the area around Philly is considerably more populated. Based on the census cuts areas that would be inside the CITY (not MSA) on a realtive distance from Philly are not even included in the population count but is neither here nor there. On a simple metric; say the number of people that live within 25 or 50 miles of the center of these cities they are actually considerably different with Philly have a lot more people but as was also stated pure population isnt the only measure. But just for perspective in the core 590 miles of Philly the population is close to 4.0 million compared to the 2.4-5 that live in Houston; actually a pretty large disparity.

The odd thing on here to me is the defense in that how could people prefer Philly to Houston it must be a conspiracy; how could this be, it must purely be some large CD conspiracy because no one in their right could possibly prefer Philadelphia to Houston...
Exactly, it's an online poll. why should they care? again I say its pathetic. They come off so bitter.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How about
Houston=> Present and Future
Philly=> Past and Future
Perfectly said, minus the houston part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
fine institution?? LOL, are we talking about the same Philadelphia?
Fine Institutions don't see the crime that passes through Philly every day.
What do fine institutions have to do with crime, and i sure hope your not about to say there arent any fine institutions in philadelphia.

Bottom line, philly is wealthier, richer history, equally as bright future, urban and dense, and great oppurtunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City