Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is very mellow. Maybe you prefer this form of GoGo. Let me know what you think.

YouTube - ‪Be'la Dona with Marsha Ambrosius‬‏

The same band playing something fast.

YouTube - ‪Shannon on the Drums with Be'la Dona.MOV‬‏

Yes I like that better

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm not familiar with this scene in New Orleans. How big a scene is bounce in New Orleans? How many bands play any given night in New Orleans? How many New Orleans bounce band clubs are there in the city? Is it a 7 nights a week schedule?

That music is played all the time in Clubs and you will here it in the streets its not made to be played in the format of a band same with crunk music same with Miami Bass. Just like Miami Bass when we were kids we use to get the 3 wheeled bikes put a boombox on the back and in many nieghborhoods the kids would come together and dance like no other. Its the same in New Orleans. GO GO live music is set up like Jazz music. Crunk music, Miami Bass and New Orleans bounce or usually rappers or DJs not a whole band of people.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
ATL=STD. DC, no doubt.

Some of you should just quit while you are ahead (AIDS epidemic in Washington, DC | PRI.ORG).

Anyway, I have been to D.C on many occassions because I have family that live there. Even they (my family in D.C) admit that our nightlife and restaurant scenes are better than D.C's because we have a much younger and vibrant crowd in ATL and a better variety of things to do, than sit around and look like a bourgeois middle class snob. But like someone mentioned earlier, to each his own!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Man, DC's Go-Go, Baltimore Club Music, and Jersey Club music definitely have to be acquired tastes. I just cant...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post

Some of you should just quit while you are ahead (AIDS epidemic in Washington, DC | PRI.ORG).

Anyway, I have been to D.C on many occassions because I have family that live there. Even they (my family in D.C) admit that our nightlife and restaurant scenes are better than D.C's because we have a much younger and vibrant crowd in ATL and a better variety of things to do, than sit around and look like a bourgeois middle class snob. But like someone mentioned earlier, to each his own!
I like Atlanta and the reasons go beyond nightlife, but since I'm now in my early 30's, give me the bourgeois middle class snob crowd, LOL. I'm not a tweenybopper anymore and it feels hella awkward revisiting the venues you used to go to after some years have passed and you wonder, "Was the crowd in here always this young and immature?" I also think that's part of the reason why you hear a lot of people in their late 20's and early 30's say that Atlanta has changed. In some respects it has, but it's also true that we've just grown beyond some of the more popular nightlife venues in terms of the crowds they attract.

But seriously, I think a lot of this has to do with cost of living. Because Atlanta is a relatively cheap place to live, you can have young folks in their late teens and early twenties move here (or remain here after college) primarily to take advantage of the party scene and related social offerings. Not so with DC; since it's relatively expensive to live there, you have to move with a surefire game plan in mind with the prospects of career advancement. Working in the mall or at a call center just to spend your check on clothes for the club won't cut it up there, LOL.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Man, DC's Go-Go, Baltimore Club Music, and Jersey Club music definitely have to be acquired tastes. I just cant...
I so agree. I really tried to get into the Go-Go thing but I just could not do it. It was too vanilla and subdued for my liking.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I like Atlanta and the reasons go beyond nightlife, but since I'm now in my early 30's, give me the bourgeois middle class snob crowd, LOL. I'm not a tweenybopper anymore and it feels hella awkward revisiting the venues you used to go to after some years have passed and you wonder, "Was the crowd in here always this young and immature?" I also think that's part of the reason why you hear a lot of people in their late 20's and early 30's say that Atlanta has changed. In some respects it has, but it's also true that we've just grown beyond some of the more popular nightlife venues in terms of the crowds they attract.

But seriously, I think a lot of this has to do with cost of living. Because Atlanta is a relatively cheap place to live, you can have young folks in their late teens and early twenties move here (or remain here after college) primarily to take advantage of the party scene and related social offerings. Not so with DC; since it's relatively expensive to live there, you have to move with a surefire game plan in mind with the prospects of career advancement. Working in the mall or at a call center just to spend your check on clothes for the club won't cut it up there, LOL.
I undrestand what you are saying, but that is why you have other clubs or venues to attend like Taboo 2 (Welcome toTaboo 2 Bar & Bistro), poetry night at Apache Cafe (Apache Cafe :: Index) or Cafe 290 (Cafe 290 I Voted Atlanta’s best place for jazz ...). My point was that we have a variety of things to do in Atlanta other than hang around the young "whipper snappers". In addition, you can bar hop or dine in urban areas such as downtown Decatur, Va. Highlands area, Midtown, or Atlantic Station.

Akhenaton06, you should get out of Cherokee County (Conservative) and move to Fulton (Liberal) or DeKalb (Liberal) because Cherokee is really skewing your view of the real Atlanta (Liberal) .

Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
I'm surprised atl is keeping up in the poll. I thought this would be a blowout. When I visit atl it feels so small time compared to dc. I assume atl boosters are keeping the poll closer. In reality no comparison. Atl is country. Buh bye. Heehaw to atl.
Actually I'm surprised too but I thought Atl would be running away with it. Atlanta's nightlife is better than DC's if you ask me.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
Go go and club music both make me wanna slit my wrist.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
I don't know why everybody is surprised. atl has been hot for a while now; dc just got hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City