Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Atlanta's not on our level when it comes to major movies. I can name a list of top movies filmed in DC over the last 5 years. I'm not talking about no Tyler Perry bs. These are well know movies and blockbusters.

Transformers 3
Salt
National Treasure
Night at the Museum

Denzel in DC filming Safe House
Denzel Washington movie filming in D.C. - Post Now - The Washington Post

Leonardo Di Caprio is filming J. Edgar
Leonardo DiCaprio is bringing ‘J. Edgar’ to D.C. this weekend

HBO is filming a series in DC called "Gtown"
D.C. Wire - HBO, Showtime filming shows in D.C.

There are 12 movies filmed in DC that have won academy awards. Here are a few.

Exorcist
Forrest Gump
Independence Day
Silence of the Lambs
Traffic
But honestly most DC was only a part

Gump was everywhere
Ind Day - more prominant but also many locations
Silence - Again some scenes
Traffic - all over as well

Many of these you could claim other cities as well

None of these listed to me with the exception of certain scenes in Silence (and maybe the mall scene in Gump) play on DC itself, few movies do really for any city. I mean you referenced National Treasure, both Philly and NYC could equally claim this movie but to me neither is a character. Some notable ones are Fugutive with Chicago or When Harry met Sally with NYC where the city really becomes almost a figure in the movie itself

Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 PM

90 posts, read 208,062 times
Atl is country compared to DC. So that pretty much explains for itself the nightlife. Atl doesn't have DC places like Adams Morgan and U street. I won't even mention all the other places.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:24 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
On another note so many music videos are filmed in Atlanta constantly I could divide the videos by major musical acts up into categories.

Like music videos shot at mansions around Atlanta, music videos shot in and around AUC, music videos shot in Atlanta clubs, Videos shot in the SWATs. I could show several videos in each of these categories and more but the thread would be swamped with videos then and the moderators might get mad. I'm sure they're filming a video in the A somewhere this weekend.

Oh and BTW many of these video shoots have after parties and actually invite locals to participate and treat the whole thing like it's a party.
I am amazed this thread has survived this long.

Basically, Atlanta is more of a club town than DC. Yes, there are more celebrity parties than there are in DC, so it's definitely where you want to be if you're into that sort of thing. Personally, I couldn't care less if Allen Iverson or Dwayne Wade is in the building. The only question is: "Am I getting play tonight?" What fun is it to be at party with celebrities unless you're in the VIP section with them? They just take all of the best looking girls with them and leave the scraps for all of the regular guys to fight over.

As I said before, the Atlanta scene has no appeal to me at my current age. It used to. But DC has a more cosmopolitan and sophisticated scene than Atlanta, as others have said. For me, grabbing a drink and chatting up on the rooftop at Donovan House with a cute South Asian journalist beats dancing it up in an Atlanta sweatbox with some weaved up chick from Macon who considers Atlanta to be a move to the "Big Leagues." I want to have a conversation while "Empire State of Mind" plays in the background. That's as "crunk" as it gets for me nowadays...lol.

There's also an intangible DC has that no other city has: power. There's something sexy about all of the power here and people move here to be near it. It's cool to party on a rooftop in Atlanta with a view of the skyline, but there's nothing like getting a drink on the balcony of the W Hotel and overlooking the White House and the Washington Monument. You sort of get the "I'm in the center of the universe" feeling that I never get when I'm in Atlanta. That's my two cents.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-18-2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I am amazed this thread has survived this long.

Basically, Atlanta is more of a club town than DC. Yes, there are more celebrity parties than there are in DC, so it's definitely where you want to be if you're into that sort of thing. Personally, I couldn't care less if Allen Iverson or Dwayne Wade is in the building. The only question is: "Am I getting play tonight?" What fun is it to be at party with celebrities unless you're in the VIP section with them? They just take all of the best looking girls with them and leave the scraps for all of the regular guys to fight over.

As I said before, the Atlanta scene has no appeal to me at my current age. It used to. But DC has a more cosmopolitan and sophisticated scene than Atlanta, as others have said. For me, grabbing a drink and chatting up on the rooftop at Donovan House with a cute South Asian journalist beats dancing it up in an Atlanta sweatbox with some weaved up chick from Macon who considers Atlanta to be a move to the "Big Leagues." I want to have a conversation while "Empire State of Mind" plays in the background. That's as "crunk" as it gets for me nowadays...lol.

There's also an intangible DC has that no other city has: power. There's something sexy about all of the power here and people move here to be near it. It's cool to party on a rooftop in Atlanta with a view of the skyline, but there's nothing like getting a drink on the balcony of the W Hotel and overlooking the White House and the Washington Monument. You sort of get the "I'm in the center of the universe" feeling that I never get when I'm in Atlanta. That's my two cents.
I just don't get it. Is it because you all have never been to Atlanta or is it because of some type of pre concieved notion you have that you just cant accept that Atlanta has plenty of very nice clubs for the older more sophisticated and professional crowd? Atleast half the RSVP notifications I get sent on line or from these kinds of clubs. Atleast half the clubs I showed you in the myriad of videos I presented near the beginning of this thread were from upscale clubs that catered to like a 30 and up crowd and professional like people.

Not only is there power in Atlanta but there is a tremendous sense of control of destiny for black folks here. More so than D.C. even. In so many areas black folks actually call the shots here where as in D.C. with the exception of that man in the White House you know it's actually mostly whites that wield the real power. That's one reason so many blacks from entertainers to everything else move here. A lot of networking takes place at some of these places too.

Also the power in D.C. seems fake to me cause it's all subsidized by people like us all over the country paying our tribute to you all in D.C. where as the big money you see in ATL came from creativity, guts, ingenuity, and good ole free enterprise know how the things this country were built on. In other words. We quit paying taxes you D.Cers are lost and dry up where as we don't need hand outs cause we are the real hustlers and go getters. Ok off my soap box.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-18-2011 at 06:00 AM..

Old 06-18-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
SORRY DC IS Not where its at. I don't want to go anywhere and just watch people stand around and look at each other. ATL shuts it down when it comes to partying. You don't have to have a street full of bars to have a good time.

Haha. People aren't standing around. They're mixing it up. I'm telling you...when it's a warm Spring Monday night out on Marvin's deck and the breeze is gently blowing the cutie's hair leaning on the rail next to you, and this song comes on, it's nothing short of magical.

YouTube - ‪Fela Kuti "Water No Get Enemy" (1975)‬‏

Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 AM

336 posts, read 768,390 times
^2

But still the man in the White House is African-American.......
Plus at a local level DC is ran by black people, plus we have the richest black county right next door.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I just don't get it. Is it because you all have never been to Atlanta or is it because of some type of pre concieved notion you have that you just cant except that Atlanta has plenty of very nice clubs for the older more sophisticated and professional crowd. Atleast half the RSVP notifications I get sent on line or from these kinds of clubs. Atleast half the clubs I showed you in the myriad of videos I presented near the beginning of this thread were from upscale clubs that catered to like a 30 and up crowd and professional like people.

Not only is there power in Atlanta but there is a tremendous sense of control of destiny for black folks here. More so than D.C. even. In so many areas black folks actually call the shots here where as in D.C. with the exception of that man in the White House you know it's actually mostly whites that wield the real power. That's one reason so many blacks from entertainers to everything else move here. A lot of networking takes place at some of these places too.
I used to live in Atlanta. I'm sure there are some nice venues there, but DC has more "nice" venues, imo. I mean, the very fact you're calling these places "clubs" tells me everything I need to know about them. Anything that caters to the "Grown and Sexy" and requires me to RSVP or wait in line for admission is dead.

And no, there is not more of a "sense of control of destiny for black folks here." Just because you bought a shiny car and a big house in Clayton County and landed a job in Home Depot's corporate office does not mean you're "making it."

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Also the power in D.C. seems fake to me cause it's all subsidized by people like us all over the country paying our tribute to you all in D.C. where as the big money you see in ATL came from creativity, guts, ingenuity, and good ole free enterprise know how the things this country were built on. In other words. We quit paying taxes you D.Cers are lost and dry up where as we don't need hand outs cause we are the real hustlers and go getters. Ok off my soap box.
There's nothing fake about those guys rolling around in black, bulletproof SUVs packing enough firepower to lay waste to Fulton County.

Whether you like it or not, DC is more important than Atlanta. There's a reason al-Qaeda attacked New York and Washington and not New York and Atlanta. While the World of Coca-Cola has a special place in all of our hearts, I'm not sure that it's destruction would have caused the same psychological damage to the American psyche as, say, the destruction of the White House.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
I used to live in Atlanta. I'm sure there are some nice venues there, but DC has more "nice" venues, imo. I mean, the very fact you're calling these places "clubs" tells me everything I need to know about them. Anything that caters to the "Grown and Sexy" and requires me to RSVP or wait in line for admission is dead.

And no, there is not more of a "sense of control of destiny for black folks here." Just because you bought a shiny car and a big house in Clayton County and landed a job in Home Depot's corporate office does not mean you're "making it."
I should have said Lounges or bars since that's what they actually are.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
I know objectivity just takes all of the fun out of discussions like these, but here we go anyway...

Quote:
There's nothing fake about the power in DC as its representative of the collective power that the entire country has. DC not having that power is a direct reflection of the rest of America, Atlanta included. DC was designed to be the capital of the nation so it is inherently a different kind of city and you can't take that away from it. Sure our tax dollars "subsidize" DC, but those tax dollars in turn are used to subsidize states that get back more from the feds than they pay in like Georgia. Thank God for DC because without that federal funding, MARTA would not be a viable system since the state of Georgia is too stupid to help fund it.

Quote:
There's nothing fake about those guys rolling around in black, bulletproof SUVs packing enough firepower to lay waste to Fulton County.

Whether you like it or not, DC is more important than Atlanta. There's a reason al-Qaeda attacked New York and Washington and not New York and Atlanta. While the World of Coca-Cola has a special place in all of our hearts, I'm not sure that it's destruction would have caused the same psychological damage to the American psyche as, say, the destruction of the White House.
On the other hand, Atlanta deserves credit where it is due. Because DC is the nation's capital it is politically more important than any other city in the country and arguably the world. However, Atlanta didn't have many inherent advantages to become the city that it is today, even to the point where it may legitimately be compared to our nation's capital in several categories. As a matter of fact, given the fact that it's located in a state with "old South" politics, it's not located on a navigable body of water, it doesn't have prominent geographically-defining features, it's not really rich in natural resources, etc., it's really a wonder that Atlanta is what it is today. The many things it has managed to accomplish over the years has been the result of sheer determination and a willingness to become ever greater.

In the end, these are two different sorts of cities that have some similarities and they both excel in different areas. Whichever one we live in, we should be grateful that we now live in a time where we can enjoy the advantages that each offers freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City