Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It seems you totally missed my point.

You guys (everybody, not just DC'ers) really need to lighten up a bit.
I wasn't addressing what you said really. I was addressing this groupie movement of going to a club because a star is going to be there. How many people really know the star coming and will be in VIP with them? If you don't fall into that category, why would you care if a star is at the club? People who go to places because a star is going to be there say a lot about their social status. Now if I'm going because one of my boys in the NFL who played for Alabama is throwing a party then ok but even still the male groupie thing, really?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
32 to 32 with 5 voting; tie as of right now

Probably my sentiments; both good but tough to choose

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
How about DC is also a news media capital behind NYC. Have you ever heard of FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CSPAN, Radio One, BET, and the ATL'S own CNN. Atlanta is significant because of hip hop and it's dirty south movement. More movies are made in DC than Atlanta. But you do have Tyler Perry. LOL
Wrong again. Georgia was the Fourth biggest producer of Movies in America last year. I'm guessing after California, New York and either Florida or Nevada.

CNN was created in Atlanta. Ofcourse it has an office in D.C. It's grown so huge years ago it has offices all over the world but it's headquarters are still in Atlanta and 300,000 a year come there for studio tours.

Atlanta also has TBS, Cartoon Network, The Weather Channel, and currently has TV shows filming for VH1, Lifetime, BET, TNT, and other Networks.

Its home of the Ricky Smiley Morning Show and Steve Harvey nationally syndicated radio shows.

Steve Harvey is currently filming the Nationally syndicated game show "Family Feud" here in Atlanta.

America's Got Talent and American Idol annually hold shows here and according to each draw much of their best talent from here.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-17-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Wrong again. Georgia was the Fourth biggest producer of Movies in America last year. I'm guessing after California, New York and either Florida or Nevada.

CNN was created in Atlanta. Ofcourse it has an office in D.C. It's grown so huge years ago it has offices all over the world but it's headquarters are still in Atlanta and 300,000 a year come there for studio tours.

Atlanta also has TBS, Cartoon Network, The Weather Channel, and currently has TV shows filming for VH1, Lifetime, BET, TNT, and other Networks.

Its home of the Ricky Smiley Show and Steve Harvey nationally syndicated radio shows.

Steve Harvey is currently filming the Nationally syndicated game show "Family Feud" here in Atlanta.

America's Got Talent and American Idol annually hold shows here and according to each draw much of their best talent from here.

I don't think you want to put Atlanta against DC in mass media? Also, Georgia is a state. You might want to narrow that down a bit.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
People are saying this according to their own personal preferences. Mine are actually more in line with DC's nightlife scene, but I'd be crazy to think that everybody likes what I like especially since I prefer a more subdued scene on a regular basis anyway. Hell, for the most part, it's just a bunch of Black dudes 21-35 carrying this discussion anyway. That skewers things significantly.
Yep, pretty much.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think you want to put Atlanta against DC in mass media? Also, Georgia is a state. You might want to narrow that down a bit.
Georgia tends to be code for metro Atlanta in most rankings these days.

Still not sure how mass media is figuring into the discussion, but you guys have at it LOL.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Georgia tends to be code for metro Atlanta in most rankings these days.

Still not sure how mass media is figuring into the discussion, but you guys have at it LOL.

Mass Media and Heavy Rail FTW

Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM

And maybe forgot lifestyle/fringe city development

Old 06-17-2011, 12:40 PM

418 posts, read 809,325 times
Seems like dc cats will work any angle they can to squeeze out a point. The funny part is, if atl is so insignificant, why is dc trying so hard? This thread has jumped from public transportation, to media, to how many levels a club has....Lmao!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Yeah, but we're talking about average joes here mainly. Plus I'm pretty sure that this isn't an every weekend occurrence like it is with the celeb-hosted parties in Atlanta. That's just Atlanta's forte and they pretty much have it all over every other city of similar size (probably except Miami) when it comes to that. I'm not saying it's better or worse overall, but you've got to give it that much.

Dude - This happens every night of the week. From galas to fundraisers to big tickey events. Congressman and senators repping 50 states. Over 300 embassies and plus over 1000 associations and think tanks. All of these people have one thing in common. They like to drink and hob nob all over DC. They usually rent out a museum for the night and hire r&b acts or older crossover type groups and they party it up. A lot of people from all walks of life are invited. Plus DC is a big cabaret city. Every Friday and Saturday, someone is throwing one with special guest celebs coming in town to host. This is the variety that I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City