Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You must take into consideration the I'll begrudgingly put NYC ahead of Philadelphia but I'm not happy in doing so.
There he goes again..

NYC's ranking is not debatable whether you like it or not

Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,768 times
Quote:
80's Houston was an adolescent pimple. Houston's downfall will be 50-75-100-200 years from now when its industry,schools, roads,bridges, and moderate housing stock age, deteriorate and die.

No city can escape the ravages of Father Time.Some are built and designed to handle the stresses of age better but Houston is not one of those cities imo.
again, Houston is no more destined to downfall, nor does it have a higher propensity than any other city in this country (or the world, for that matter).

Quote:
Houston will not age well my friend.It's already a sprawling mess with little to no natural beauty to preserve its integrity. Todays boomtown could very well be next centuries industrial wasteland.
I disagree. It's aesthetics or lack of, is not a guiding factor to whether or not it will become a wasteland. I think it's immature and wishful thinking on your part and others, to make the assumption that it will not last because it lacks the purple mountains, blue oceans and miles upon miles of resort-like aesthetics. That's just silly. Houston cannot help the topography upon which the city/metro areas sits.

Quote:
Always remember.Here in the USA affluence is mobile but poor people generally are left behind. As cities like Houston age deteriorate and become costlier to maintain, there will be a new regional "OZ" where the better half gathers.

As a point of reference you can research the rise and fall and in some instances- rise again- of the East Coast cities including national juggernauts like NYC,Phil,DC.

Again, I disagree. Houston isn't "OZ" or "OZlike" in any manner. People of ALL income backgrounds are willfully choosing where to live and how far their money will take them. The influx of people moving to Houston has been happening even before the economy collapse and before jobs was a concern.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
You guys are being silly the answer is right in front of your face
Boston

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Hub of the Universe)

Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston
Boston is viewed on par with Seattle, by many. They are "symmetrical" in many ways. The greater Seattle-Everett-Tacoma metro population has over 3 million people now. Boston just gave way to Atlanta in terms of 9th most populous metro area. Despite the prevalence of great universities, I've heard it referred to as provincial. I've met some natives who echo that. And when you get outside the New England metro areas, that level of frostiness increases. There's that "political machine" in place, but then Chicago has it, too.

However, Boston is clearly in the 6-10 group.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Hub of the Universe)
This is really funny.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM

118 posts, read 210,822 times
Quote:
80's Houston was an adolescent pimple. Houston's downfall will be 50-75-100-200 years from now when its industry,schools, roads,bridges, and moderate housing stock age, deteriorate and die.

No city can escape the ravages of Father Time.Some are built and designed to handle the stresses of age better but Houston is not one of those cities imo.
In 50 years Houston MSA will be more than twice the size of Philly MSA. It's growing at 26% vs 4.9% over the last decade. The boom has just begin and I don't see the world demand for energy getting any less. Houston's big advantage is that there's alot of infilling so these brand new structures, freeways, light rail should last over a century.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM

118 posts, read 210,822 times
Boston CSA, D.C/Baltimore, & Bay Area are very close for 4th. Houston & Dallas are tie for 5th but will jump to 4th within 15 years. Philly and Atlanta are tie for 6th. Seattle should come in 7th.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamb View Post
In 50 years Houston MSA will be more than twice the size of Philly MSA. It's growing at 26% vs 4.9% over the last decade. The boom has just begin and I don't see the world demand for energy getting any less. Houston's big advantage is that there's alot of infilling so these brand new structures, freeways, light rail should last over a century.
Houston is definitely growing and at a rate with which the infrastructure cannot keep up. Yikes. If it could just slow down a bit. I saw the construction on the 10 Fwy west of 610 and it was mind-boggling.

Houston will always be America's energy capital, it's the largest city in the 2nd most populous state in the Union, it has one of the major ports on the Gulf (along with N.O.), and it is in the Sunbelt. The Rust Belt will try to hang on, but people don't like living in those harsh conditions for 3 to 4 months out of the year. Talk to most people in humid ATL, and the transplants may be willing to go back to the Northeast or the Middle Atlantic, but they are mostly unwilling to return to the interior, especially its northern tier.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
wouldn't Philly be swallowed up by the Beast called NYC by then?

anyway this post puts a lot into perspective:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/23288002-post19.html

so does this:
Fortune 500 2011: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
To the outside observer, it seems unlikely that Houston could keep up that sort of insane growth for 50 years.

Even the biggest boom cities, LA and NY did not grow at that rate for a sustained period of 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City