Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If the Philly and New York area ever did combine it would be because of huge improvements in High Speed Rail, which I could definitely see happening by 2050.

http://www.america2050.org/pdf/HSR-i...-Northeast.pdf
Amtrak's goal is to have the high speed rail completed by 2040. They have already started work on rail improvements.

Htownlove, I believe the New York and Philadelphia UA's have been combined already if I'm not mistaken. I believe it just happened earlier this year. As for the CSA's and MSA's combining I'm sure it can and will happen.

Another good way to judge the shear impact and importance of a city is by it's metro or csa. Of course this always isn't the best way but it shows you truly how big a city and it's influence is.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston may pass Philadelphia for the 2020 census if it's insane growth doesn't slow down anytime soon.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston may pass Philadelphia for the 2020 census if it's insane growth doesn't slow down anytime soon.
Interesting. Dallas is definitely up there, but is never thought of as a "national" city. San Francisco and San Jose metros are typically combined, since they are contiguous on both sides of the Bay.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
Quote:
Amtrak's goal is to have the high speed rail completed by 2040. They have already started work on rail improvements.

Htownlove, I believe the New York and Philadelphia UA's have been combined already if I'm not mistaken. I believe it just happened earlier this year. As for the CSA's and MSA's combining I'm sure it can and will happen.

Another good way to judge the shear impact and importance of a city is by it's metro or csa. Of course this always isn't the best way but it shows you truly how big a city and it's influence is.

Tab 2- List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
It says "potential" so IDK if that means it has been done already. Anyway that is the start of the formation of a megalopolis right there. If I'm not mistaken 29 mill is the largest in the world?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What' s your point? The same could have been said about the Northeast when the Irish, Italian and Greek immigrants were coming over in waves. They hit New York because it was the port of entry for ocean liners, and to a lesser extent, Boston. Even Halifax, Nova Scotia was the Atlantic port of entry for Canada.

Now, we have two-level jumbo jets. And immigrants can go wherever they want....Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, Chicago...they follow their kinfolk. If they do research and want to move later, they do....usually to another Sunbelt location.
Actually, that's the funny thing.. no it couldn't be. See because the Northeast isn't a fad. The Northeast came about it because it did, not because people wanted sprawl or because it's right above Mexico. When you run out of water and people want to stop dealing with the possibility of having their sprawl destroyed by weather events, people will move to the Northeast. Your kids, the ones who grow up in that sprawl.. they move to the Northeast. If it weren't for immigrants from Latin America and Mexico, you would be bleeding population out there within the next decade or two.

There's a difference between immigrating from Latin America (where you're most likely to settle down South, in the Southwest/Sunbelt, or the Lower West Coast) and immigrating from somewhere you have to fly from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
stop being silly. No metro has the power to annex. You know too little on these things to comment. No metro in the country has ever annexed anything. That is just plain out silly talk.
Really? Am I a silly goose too? I bet I am.

I'm sorry buddy but you are extremely ignorant. I know a hell of a lot more than you about what I talk about, but of course that's not hard to do.

NYC added Mercer county in 2010 Census. That's not annexing land of course though, right? There I go being a silly goose like an elementary school kid again. Maybe if I stop being so silly you'll call me something that I wouldn't hear from a first grader. One can only hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This thread has gone on entirely too long. The bottom line is this and honestly should not be up for discussion. The top 5/ most important cities in the US are (in no order) NY, LA, Chi, DC, and SF. You can argue many different orders but make no mistake those are the top tier bar none.
This I agree with.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This thread has gone on entirely too long. The bottom line is this and honestly should not be up for discussion. The top 5/ most important cities in the US are (in no order) NY, LA, Chi, DC, and SF. You can argue many different orders but make no mistake those are the top tier bar none.
Agreed on your post. Agreed on your ordering. This thread will just sputter out.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
This has gone way to long, weather its Houston, Philly, San Francisco, DC, Boston no one knows all I know is Houston is the 4th largest city even if it does have larger city limits than the rest so we can agree to disagree. All major cities in America play an important role to our economy some more than others but doesnt change the fact.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
All major cities in America play an important role to our economy some more than other but doesnt change the fact.
This is the correct answer. You see there is a reason why I never go into threads or even look inside of threads asking what is more urban because all it does is show how people have to much time on their hands. Must be old, divorced, miserable, poor, unsocial, low self esteem, illiterate if 10 extra people PSM is worth debating density/urban. If a city has the qualities of a true urban metropolis with the walkability, set up, streets, homes then its urban and should be left at that.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
This has gone way to long, weather its Houston, Philly, San Francisco, DC, Boston no one knows all I know is Houston is the 4th largest city even if it does have larger city limits than the rest so we can agree to disagree. All major cities in America play an important role to our economy some more than others but doesnt change the fact.
I guess you missed the first post on the first page. It pretty much summed it up.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
It may have physically met the requirements, but the UA's get redefined by the Census in 2013, so we will know by then if they have combined.

Quote:
same think here. all sources say Houston has passed Philly more than a year ago. But that won't be reflected in official lists until next year when the census rearrange lists.

last time they did it Boston went from having 6M people in its metro to 4 M so I should not be counting chickens yet. The Census may remove or add counties to metros so next year Philly may end up with 7M people while Houston ends up with 5M. SF may gain, or it may further lose people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City