Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better to live or visit?
San Diego 133 64.56%
Houston 73 35.44%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:32 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
how can you bash san diego for being in the shadow of los angeles?
Simple: Hollywood and the droves of people that it attracts.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM

102 posts, read 454,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Sorry but the glizt and glammor of Hollywood doesn't cover up the smog, horrendous traffic, and other LA problems. Hollywood is a small portion of a very large city with large problems.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times
Quote:
something tells me you've never been to san diego.
lets put it this way: if san diego were a part of the los angeles metro, it would be ranked among the top of the list of places to visit; probably even ahead of hollywood.

hollywood is a fun place to visit, but by any measure, it is not beautiful at all. in fact, it's an infested crap hole! north wilshire blvd is nice though once you get close to beverly hills and rodeo drive. bel air is nice to drive through. malibu is boring, santa monica is cool for all the studios. the theme parks are fun. ummmm, i cant really think of much else to do in los angeles; even downtown is boring! los angeles may be large, but it is far from urban! los angeles is definitely a fun place to cruise though because of all the massive freeways and endless miles of developed land. to be honest, orange county to the south and san diego county are FAR superior in beauty then los angeles; ask anyone who's been to all these places.

if san diego sits in the shadow of los angeles, explain to me why the city experienced 30 million visitors in 2006?

i will defend my city to the death! i promise you in 10 years, it will be a premiere american city, meaning, it will be too urban not to be mentioned!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
That isn't close to being all of Los Angeles.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
lets put it this way: if san diego were a part of the los angeles metro, it would be ranked among the top of the list of places to visit; probably even ahead of hollywood.
I was just there around July 1. I stayed in La Jolla for one night and went around Downtown San Diego the next morning. La Jolla seems to attract retirees and early retirees; it's way too slow. L.A. is for working and San Diego is for relaxing. Beverly Hills is more interesting than La Jolla.

The only thing I knew about San Diego before the visit was the Zoo. I've heard more about landmarks in Los Angeles because of the movies and the TV shows.
Quote:
hollywood is a fun place to visit, but by any measure, it is not beautiful at all. in fact, it's an infested crap hole! north wilshire blvd is nice though once you get close to beverly hills and rodeo drive. bel air is nice to drive through. malibu is boring, santa monica is cool for all the studios. the theme parks are fun. ummmm, i cant really think of much else to do in los angeles; even downtown is boring! los angeles may be large, but it is far from urban! los angeles is definitely a fun place to cruise though because of all the massive freeways and endless miles of developed land. to be honest, orange county to the south and san diego county are FAR superior in beauty then los angeles; ask anyone who's been to all these places.
I was talking about West L.A. Driving down Wilshire Blvd was a nice treat. Santa Monica Blvd would be the same way. That's my favorite place in all of the West (unless my visit to San Francisco changes my mind). Downtown Beverly Hills is well built and clean. Hollywood is a metonym for the movie industry. The movie industry has for the most part moved away from Hollywood but close to it though.

The secret of downtown is to look at the late 19th Century architecture and then look at 20th Century skyscrapers. The Library Tower is very unique because of its roundness and the crown on top.

Quote:
i will defend my city to the death! i promise you in 10 years, it will be a premiere american city, meaning, it will be too urban not to be mentioned!
Me too. But we have been in the city building business longer. We rank higher than you in the global scale; that's a lot of catching up to do. Houston is very well liked by the East Coasters and Chicagoans. Houston will be the fourth city behind NYC, LA, and Chicago in 10 years. Want to read about the Rise of Houston?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
If people would quit buying in to how the media portrays houston (and all of Texas for that matter) and gave it a chance, they would see that many cities in this nation ain't got nothin' on Houston.

Houston always gets slammed to death for the heat, traffic, mosquitos, and humidity. They always talk about Houston's negatives. Every big city has problem with traffic, mosquitos, heat, and humidity exist in alot of places (i.e. Florida, NO,), Atlanta has mosquitos. No one seems to care about that other stuff when it comes to other places, but mention Houston, everything else is holier than thou!

I think things are starting to change for Houston but it will be a long time before its mentioned before any place in California. But H-town has my vote!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 PM

9 posts, read 9,508 times
Quote:

if san diego sits in the shadow of los angeles, explain to me why the city experienced 30 million visitors in 2006?

look at you, they gave you bait and you bit off it. learn boy everyone is anti-LA. they even made another southern californian attack LA. true san diego is a great place and its really beautiful but still its no LA. LA had 56 million visitors in 2006 so what is ur point? its true San diego just like san fran is in LA shadow but still give San diego some more years and it will be a major force.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinPete View Post
look at you, they gave you bait and you bit off it. learn boy everyone is anti-LA. they even made another southern californian attack LA. true san diego is a great place and its really beautiful but still its no LA. LA had 56 million visitors in 2006 so what is ur point? its true San diego just like san fran is in LA shadow but still give San diego some more years and it will be a major force.
I found San Diego unimpressive. There was nothing that stood out; it is so staid like D.C.

La Jolla was okay but not outstanding. I prefer Santa Monica's beach. I found S.D. to be too whitebread. They say La Jolla is a rich area, but it didn't seem to be rich at all. It seemed to artsy and bohemian than rich.

L.A. is very exciting. It has the energy with that pretension and class. Beverly Hills was more classy and impressive than La Jolla.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
Quote:
I found San Diego unimpressive. There was nothing that stood out; it is so staid like D.C.

La Jolla was okay but not outstanding. I prefer Santa Monica's beach. I found S.D. to be too whitebread. They say La Jolla is a rich area, but it didn't seem to be rich at all. It seemed to artsy and bohemian than rich.

L.A. is very exciting. It has the energy with that pretension and class. Beverly Hills was more classy and impressive than La Jolla.
Wow. I can tell you and me would not get along. I think Beverly Hills is over the top tacky and La Jolla has understated wealth.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
I don't think most people see "pretension" as something positive, but for those who do, L.A. is there to make them happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City