Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I keep hearing people say this however most people who write this never venture outside of the westside of LA or never been here period, most of the pedestrian activity in LA are in its more immigrant poor areas, I grew up in this part of town I should know
"For it's size" is the only way I compare things.

For its size Chicago lacks compared to the city hosting the Olympics this year.

For its size Shanghai is awfully poor.

For its size Toronto is very diverse.

Try it sometime. These "for their sizes" arguments are the only ones that have ever made any sense to me. Are you comparing LA to NYC or Orlando. I would hope NYC because they're closer sized. Size isn't everything but it's one of the most important things about a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
And are you really trying to say that because a CSA is of 18 million that everyone should somehow converge to downtown? LOL
No not everyone obviously. But a good % of the metro should be going in to the core city.

What's 10% of 18 million? 1.8 million

1% of 18 million? 180k

Basically if LA's core attracts even 10% of its metro it will add the entire metros of Charlotte or Orlando.

Boston has 630k and the city adds 1 million more during the day. What's Boston's daytime density? 34k PPSM and at night it goes back to 12k PPSM. 14% of greater Boston commutes into Boston city during the day.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:24 PM

896 posts, read 1,170,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
"For it's size" is the only way I compare things.

For its size Chicago lacks compared to the city hosting the Olympics this year.

For its size Shanghai is awfully poor.

For its size Toronto is very diverse.

Try it sometime. These "for their sizes" arguments are the only ones that have ever made any sense to me. Are you comparing LA to NYC or Orlando. I would hope NYC because they're closer sized. Size isn't everything but it's one of the most important things about a city.
OK then 2 can play that game also, since you want to take this to a metro level LA flattens Chicago in pedestrian activiy, try Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Park, Florence/Graham district, DT Pasadena, East LA, etc. see how that works dawg check and mate

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
OK then 2 can play that game also, since you want to take this to a metro level LA flattens Chicago in pedestrian activiy, try Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Park, Florence/Graham district, DT Pasadena, East LA, etc. see how that works dawg check and mate
I already know how it works.

So to recap, you admitted yourself that for its size LA is closer to Chicago than NYC, that core areas of Chicago can rival LA.

Welcome to the club

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
What cities would you say are fairly dense by American standards yet lack pedestrian activity and why? My vote goes to Miami, Phoenix, and Minneapolis but would like to know what are they lacking for this to turn around?
I'm not sure Minneapolis belongs in that group:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5150/5...eaf526df_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5222/5...6ce3df65_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5026/5...a35c1d0c_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2716/5...c98c5cc5_b.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6148/5...6a440d6b_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5236/7...1ee1fa45_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-07-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I already know how it works.

So to recap, you admitted yourself that for its size LA is closer to Chicago than NYC, that core areas of Chicago can rival LA.

Welcome to the club
I never said otherwise, I know LA isn't pedestrian heaven and that never was my intention, you tried to make it like Chicago's pedestrian activity was on a completely different level

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I'm not sure Minneapolis belongs in that group:

mplsmar2011137 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsapr201142 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsapr201143 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsmay201148 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsjuly2011122 by afsmps, on Flickr
I never been to Minny but have been told place gets deserted during winter

Old 07-04-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Instead of focusing on the negatives, why don't you start focusing on the positives with some of these cities? Granted, many of them grew too quickly more recently, but don't ignore the fact that there ARE positive changes happening in these cities.
When did I say these cities don't have any positives? If you asked me where I would like to live its the biggest to the smallest of these and I would pick them all over places like Orlando, Portland, Denver, etc. closer to feeling like the sticks the more I would hate being there.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
CaliSon's right, there's generally much more activity around MacArthur Park, E. Cesar Chavez, etc. then there is in any given part of downtown. The Garment/Toy District is an exception to this but generally speaking the most heavily people-trafficked parts in LA's core are not in Downtown.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I never said otherwise, I know LA isn't pedestrian heaven and that never was my intention, you tried to make it like Chicago's pedestrian activity was on a completely different level
My intentions were to show that Chicago is on LA's level or maybe slightly ahead and I think I have. We can both agree on that.

BUT my other point is that LA is closer to the size of NYC, so why is it with Chicago to begin with?

For that, "for it's size" will have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City