Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
This is meant to be a lighthearted thread: Which city do you find to be the most "complete"? Obviously this is subjective, but for me; for a city to be complete, it has to have the follwing:

Dense Urban Core
Extensive Public Transportation
High End Shopping Street - Nationally known stores that are local is a plus too
Local food scene (you automatically think of city when type of food is mentioned)
Recognizable from a single photo (standard city shot)
Local Sports Scene
Good ratio of locals/transplants
Strong ties to the past, but progressive as well
Storied ethnic neighborhoods
City Nickname
Several famous streets known simply by their name
Museums

I am sure others will come up with some good ideas for what makes a city complete as well. I am leaving New York off for obvious reasons, but I think Chicago, LA, SF, Philly, Boston, DC are all cities that have some or all of the qualities to be "complete". This is not a discussion for Metro areas, I am talking city limits only.

In my opinion, Chicago is the only city that meets all of my qualities, and what I would consider the only truly complete city in the Country outside of New York. Others have most of the other traits, but fall short on others. Philly and Boston would be my next closest.

I am curious to see what others lists look like.
Well I must correct you on your opinion. San Francisco easily meets your guidlines.

Dense Urban Core: Second most dense city in US
Extensive Public Transportation: Muni/Bart
High End Shopping Street - Nationally known stores that are local is a plus too: Union Square
Local food scene (you automatically think of city when type of food is mentioned): SF in Michellin Guide
Recognizable from a single photo (standard city shot): Golden Gate Bridge/Cable Cars
Local Sports Scene: 49ers and Giants
Good ratio of locals/transplants: A good mix of natives and immigrants
Strong ties to the past, but progressive as well: The California Gold Rush and very progressive
Storied ethnic neighborhoods: Chinatown, North Beach, Mission District
City Nickname: "The City", "Frisco", "Baghdad By The Bay"
Several famous streets known simply by their name: Market Street
Museums: DeYoung Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I am curious to see what other criteria people would add to the list besides what I created.

Airports (Chicago and LAX really jump to mind)
Neighborhoods - ethnic or otherwise
Destinations
Major Events (Olympics, Conventions, Worlds Fairs)
Media Influence/Portrayal
Educational Institutions
Dinning Destinations (different to me than your food category)
Personification (Hate to use Rocky or Ben Franklin but the like etc.)
Corporate Identity
People Identity (Southie, South Philly Italian etc.)

just some quick thoughts

Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Airports (Chicago and LAX really jump to mind)
Neighborhoods - ethnic or otherwise
Destinations
Major Events (Olympics, Conventions, Worlds Fairs)
Media Influence/Portrayal
Educational Institutions
Dinning Destinations (different to me than your food category)
Personification (Hate to use Rocky or Ben Franklin but the like etc.)
Corporate Identity
People Identity (Southie, South Philly Italian etc.)

just some quick thoughts
great additions.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Well I must correct you on your opinion. San Francisco easily meets your guidlines.

Dense Urban Core: Second most dense city in US
Extensive Public Transportation: Muni/Bart
High End Shopping Street - Nationally known stores that are local is a plus too: Union Square
Local food scene (you automatically think of city when type of food is mentioned): SF in Michellin Guide
Recognizable from a single photo (standard city shot): Golden Gate Bridge/Cable Cars
Local Sports Scene: 49ers and Giants
Good ratio of locals/transplants: A good mix of natives and immigrants
Strong ties to the past, but progressive as well: The California Gold Rush and very progressive
Storied ethnic neighborhoods: Chinatown, North Beach, Mission District
City Nickname: "The City", "Frisco", "Baghdad By The Bay"
Several famous streets known simply by their name: Market Street
Museums: DeYoung Museum
mostly agree, but SF took a hit in my opinion on Sports; Museums; and Famous Streets. Also, not sure what "SF in Michellin Guide" has to do with Local Food Scene

Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
mostly agree, but SF took a hit in my opinion on Sports; Museums; and Famous Streets. Also, not sure what "SF in Michellin Guide" has to do with Local Food Scene
LOL local food scene of San Francisco is as diverse and mixed as the city is. Very few places in the US where you can even get quality food of all different tastes and backgrounds made from fresh and organic produce for a cheap price. Sports, the Giants have actually been WS champions recently and the 49ers are good again, the Sharks have always kept chugging on. It's better than those Cubbies in Chicago that haven't seen victory in 104 years. Famous streets? You're kidding Haight and Ashbury is as famous as any street in most of these other cities.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
I'd say that Haight St. might actually be SF's most famous street, at least in popular culture. The Embarcadero is also very famous... I honestly think Mission is more well known than Market (the neighborhood named after it helps).

Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LOL local food scene of San Francisco is as diverse and mixed as the city is. Very few places in the US where you can even get quality food of all different tastes and backgrounds made from fresh and organic produce for a cheap price. Sports, the Giants have actually been WS champions recently and the 49ers are good again, the Sharks have always kept chugging on. It's better than those Cubbies in Chicago that haven't seen victory in 104 years. Famous streets? You're kidding Haight and Ashbury is as famous as any street in most of these other cities.
Well, the Sharks don't count but I agree, SF's sports scene is better than most people think it is. Maybe less "Super-Fans" ala Chicago (Boston has its share too) so people think the fans are less die-hard.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I agree SF has a huge divers food scene, not sure where I implied otherwise; my question was what does "SF in Michellin guide" have to do with anything? I was more referring to food known in the city: example: Philly Cheese Steak, Chicago style pizza, Chicago style hot dog......

On sports, I have never heard of the San Francisco Sharks, where do they play? NBA team? The Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Blackhawks have all been around as long as the sports have been in existence, the Giants to many, are still as well known for playing in New York.

I disagree on Haight/Ashbury being as famous as any street in most of the other cities (by a long shot).

Last edited by prelude91; 09-26-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
I agree SF has a huge divers food scene, not sure where I implied otherwise; my question was what does "SF in Michellin guide" have to do with anything? I was more referring to food known in the city: example: Philly Cheese Steak, Chicago style pizza, Chicago style hot dog......

On sports, I have never heard of the San Francisco Sharks, where do they play? NBA team? The Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Blackhawks have all been around as long as the sports have been in existence, the Giants to many, are still as well known for playing in New York.

I disagree on Haight/Ashbury being as famous as any street in most of the other cities (by a long shot).
The Michelin Guide is a premere guide for tourism throughout the world listing the finest restaurants, hotels, etc.. Michelin Red Guides are also published for selected major cities: Paris, London, Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Hokkaido, Hong Kong & Macau, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area & Wine Country, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Las Vegas. There is also a Red Guide encompassing the "Main Cities of Europe."

Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Dense Urban Core Chicago, Philly, SF, Boston, DC
Extensive Public Transportation DC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, SF, LA
High End Shopping Street - Nationally known stores that are local is a plus too LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Philly, DC
Local food scene (you automatically think of city when type of food is mentioned) Philly, Chicago, SF, LA, Boston, DC
Recognizable from a single photo (standard city shot) LA, DC, SF, Chicago, Philly/Boston,
Local Sports Scene Philly, Boston, Chicago, LA, SF, DC
Good ratio of locals/transplants Philly, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, LA, DC
Strong ties to the past, but progressive as well Philly, Boston, SF, DC, LA
Storied ethnic neighborhoods Philly, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, DC
City Nickname Philly/LA, DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
Several famous streets known simply by their name LA, Chicago, SF, DC, Philly/Boston/
Museums DC, Boston, Philly, SF, Chicago, LA
Signature accent Philly/Boston, Chicago, LA/DC/SF

I added the last one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City