Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
Chipotle is crap. The only thing it has in common with SF style burrito's are the number of ingredients used and the wrap. The burrito eaten today north of the Mexican border originated in SF. The wrap used today was originally used to accommodate the larger number of ingredients we put in our burritos.. have you ever had an 'authentic' burrito in Mexico? It is a thin 6 inch tortilla with a combination of meat/fish and cheese. That's it. Rice, beans and sauces on the side if you are lucky. So essentially, the concept of American burritos originated in SF, or so the legend goes.
No, most places in Southern Ca don't serve a 'SF style' burrito with all those fillers like rice and beans. They're more like the authentic Mexican burritos you described.

I really can't stand rice and beans, especially refried beans, in burritos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
oh then everyone had a mission burrito but not many ppl know that thats what it is.
If a local chain as far away as Houston calls itself "Mission Burrito," I'd say the word is out. I've heard about San Francisco burritos for years. Back about 10 years ago, or so, when burritos were getting popular all across the country, there was always a news article about how many people were still calling them "wraps" but the real thing from California was a jumbo stuffed burrito with the ingredients mentioned in that Wikipedia entry.

As an aside, jeans (at least how we think of them today) were invented in SF, too. The city doesn't usually get credit for that.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
"ok then what even is a sf burrito?"

It's a burrito. The kind you get at Chipotle is a San Francisco style or Mission (neighborhood in SF) style burrito. Just like a soft pretzel used to be called a NY style pretzel, but they've been everywhere for so long, nobody calls it that anymore.
Whoa, hold the bus there. Soft pretzels used to be called "NY style"? Are you sure you don't mean bagels? Soft pretzels have always been a Philly food, I've lived within 100 miles from NYC my whole life and I've never once heard soft pretzels associated with NY, always associated with Philly.

Also, I never knew a "SF burrito" was a thing.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 PM

342 posts, read 570,869 times
what food is from philly other than the cheesesteak and pretzel?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Growing up in Texas, I often saw "NY-style pretzels" advertised at carnivals and a couple of movie theaters. I saw a pretzel cart on my first trip to NYC in about 1980. That was the first time I ever saw this "carnival food" available as an everyday snack. I guess, outside the Northeast, at least in the South, we called them NY-style.

Since you bring up Philadelphia, the "SF Burrito" thing is kinda like the "Philly Cheesesteak" thing in reverse. I know they just call them "cheesesteaks" on the east coast.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This thread was tailor-made for Chicago to win. It has large city limits, and most everything that one associates with Chicagoland is contained in them. Los Angeles can match it in size, but it has a large amount of amenities outside of its city limits, and most people would vote for Chicago anyway, since it's one of the most butt-smooched cities on city-data and L.A. isn't. It's that simple. San Francisco can hang, but at 47 sq miles, it loses amenities that are spread out in Oakland and along the Bay, same with Boston. DC is too small to compete, and Philly, though big, is too unpolished (like the city of L.A.) to get enough votes here.
Why do you care what people think of LA so much??

It's an opinion that some people have, you're not going to change it with that attitude. (probably only make it worse).

And this was not made for Chicago to win, it's a give and take for various categories.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
what food is from philly other than the cheesesteak and pretzel?
Water ice, hoagies (subs) and stromboli.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No, most places in Southern Ca don't serve a 'SF style' burrito with all those fillers like rice and beans. They're more like the authentic Mexican burritos you described.

Just to clarify, when I said "north of the Mexican border", I was talking about the U.S. as a whole and not what is just immediately north of the border. But yes, SoCal continues to keep it simple. You also picked the only other region that is also north of the Mexican border that has its own style, the 'California burrito'. But what I said still applies.

Pretty much what we are talking about is summed up here:

Burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also see from the dates that the SF style came first (in regards to the California burrito), and is the 1 that has spread outside its region the most (pretty much to every corner of the country). Those were my main points, I think. Don't even remember what originated all of this any more actually. Oh wait yeah I do, a thread about things such as 'known streets' and 'known foods'.. ugh.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Ugh, refried beans?!? I've only seen those in Taco Bell or 7-11 burritos. Many places in SF also have fish and shrimp options, in addition to many different styles of meats -- grilled or stewed, barbacoa, etc.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Ugh, refried beans?!? I've only seen those in Taco Bell or 7-11 burritos. Many places in SF also have fish and shrimp options, in addition to many different styles of meats -- grilled or stewed, barbacoa, etc.
I've had them from a few taqueria's I've tried in the East Bay, never will go to those places again though. They even put it in a breakfast burrito one time too. Had a fish burrito once and was not a fan at all. Love fish tacos, although I've yet to have a really good one in Northern CA, but not in burritos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City