Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Harvard and MIT both have substantial parts of their campuses on the BOSTON side of the Charles river. Harvard stadium is actually located in Allston/Brighton.
Harvard Business School, or most of it, is located in Brighton. Tata Hall is also under construction in Brighton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 PM

342 posts, read 570,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Harvard Business School, or most of it, is located in Brighton. Tata Hall is also under construction in Brighton.
see! Brighton is a neighborhood of the city of Boston. I just realized, MIT is completely in Cambridge so i can't count it.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
mostly agree, but SF took a hit in my opinion on Sports; Museums; and Famous Streets. Also, not sure what "SF in Michellin Guide" has to do with Local Food Scene
SF is a great sports town. In this category, I think you really need to look at the whole area, not just the city limits, though. The Bay Area is one of only a handful of places that support multiple big league teams in their respective sports.

Museums are well represented with the DeYoung and SFMOMA being the largest and best known.

Famous Streets include: Market, Haight, Ashbury (admittedly just for the intersection), Columbus and The Embarcadero. Oh, and Lombard--people wait in line for 30 minutes just to drive down that one.

Local food scene: world famous San Francisco Sourdough, Wine, Chinese food, Dungeness Crab, Cioppino, and the birthplace of California Cuisine (in Berkeley).

Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Hmmm overall I'd say (for what you are looking for) in order Chicago, SF, Boston, LA, Philadelphia, DC

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 PM

I think that these 6 cities as well as new york are americas only "complete" cities. which is really sad considering that we have so many large cities. in the near future i can see Miami, Denver, Seattle, maybe MSP becoming "complete" whatever that may mean.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
My Opinion:

No real order, but these three are DEFINITELY the top three:

Chicago
LA
SF
.................................................. ....

Then:

Boston
Philly
DC

again, no real order.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
Michelin has dropped Vegas & Los Angeles out of its annual editions. New York, San Francisco & Chicago are the only U.S cities remain in the guide books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The Michelin Guide is a premere guide for tourism throughout the world listing the finest restaurants, hotels, etc.. Michelin Red Guides are also published for selected major cities: Paris, London, Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Hokkaido, Hong Kong & Macau, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area & Wine Country, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Las Vegas. There is also a Red Guide encompassing the "Main Cities of Europe."

Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Michelin has dropped Vegas & Los Angeles out of its annual editions. New York, San Francisco & Chicago are the only U.S cities remain in the guide books.
umm ya so can we just get rid of las vegas because its embarrassing. its like come to Las Vegas, USA! Where you can, no will get drunk and lose all of your money.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dunno

DC and SF may be moreso than Philly and Boston on all the criteria. Chicago probably meets the most the best

LA is a wild card in too many ways

If I had to rank

Dense Urban Core - Chicago, SF/Philly, Boston, DC, LA (more than just residential ppsm)
Extensive Public Transportation - Chicago, DC, Boston, Philly, SF, LA
High End Shopping Street - Nationally known stores that are local is a plus too Chicago, SF/Boston, Philly, LA, DC
Local food scene (you automatically think of city when type of food is mentioned) Philly, Boston, Chicago, SF, LA, DC
Recognizable from a single photo (standard city shot) DC (Monuments Capital etc.), Chicago, SF, Philly, LA, Boston
Local Sports Scene - Philly/Boston/Chicago, SF, LA, DC
Good ratio of locals/transplants SF, LA, DC, Boston, Philly
Strong ties to the past, but progressive as well Boston, Philly/SF (pick the pasdt or progressive as more important), Chciago, LA, DC
Storied ethnic neighborhoods Philly, Boston, SF, Chicago, LA, DC
City Nickname Philly/LA, Boston, SF/DC
Several famous streets known simply by their name DC (PA Ave has to count for something),Chicago, LA, SF/Boston/Philly
Museums DC, Chicago, Boston/LA/Phily/SF
A few things I want to pick at on your list.

I'd say Chi-Town would probably fit between LA/Philly and Beantown for third in recognition. I don't consider "The City of Brotherly Love" or "The Windy City" nicknames, they are more titles or mottos.

You wouldn't rank South Street, Broad Street and Market Street below LA and Boston? I donno about that. I can't even name a street in Chicago. Pennsylvania Ave has to be the most famous street outside of NYC, and Lombard in SanFran is instantly recognizable..

Philly's museums are bottom of the barrel? I'd say it's 1a. next to/slightly behind DC.

You're losing your touch, Kid.

All do pretty well on most - maybe the best set of complete cities after NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
SF is a great sports town. In this category, I think you really need to look at the whole area, not just the city limits, though. The Bay Area is one of only a handful of places that support multiple big league teams in their respective sports.

Famous Streets include: Market, Haight, Ashbury (admittedly just for the intersection), Columbus and The Embarcadero. Oh, and Lombard--people wait in line for 30 minutes just to drive down that one.
1. The OP explicitly says we're talking about city limits. The Bay Area doesn't matter for this comparison. You also realize that Chicago, Philadelphia and DC each have pro teams in all 5 sports. LA will likely get another football team during the next NFL expansion, rejoining the 5 sport cities, San Fran doesn't have an NHL, NBA or MLS team.

2. Do you think San Fran's Market Street is more famous than the original Market Street in Philadelphia? I didn't even know there was a Market Street in San Fran.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
The Warriors are moving to SF on the waterfront by AT&T Park (SF GIANTS). Soon to have not only the best ball park in the country but the best basketball arena as well.

But... the 49ers are moving out of city proper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City