Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Troll Thread? Get real. I live in DC, why are you using "you" in place of Chicago? and when did I bash any of the other cites?

"What is a Chicago thing when you mention about food? "
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Chicago Hot Dog.

San Fran Clearly lacks an icon identifying the city unless you're a Bridge Geek, see what I did there? Sounds like you are the one trolling.
The cable cars? Lombard street? Alcatraz? The painted ladies? These are all very well known San Francisco landmarks.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 09-26-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
Maaan I kept reading and reading this argument about "known streets" and SF and saw no one mentioning Lombard Street and I was getting so excited to be the one who does then it got mentioned while I was busy eating sushi and a burrito on Alcatraz.
Seperately or were you eating a Sushirrito?

Sushi + Burrito = Sushirrito (and Crazy-Long Lines) - San Francisco - Restaurants and Dining - SFoodie

Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Funny seeing this thread, was just watching an episode of "no reservations" with Anthony bourdain in Chicago, and he called Chicago the only other true metropolis in the country.
Meh, I think Anthony Bourdain was very unfamiliar with LA - more recently I think he has spent time in the city and changed his tune a bit:

"As Roy Choi pointed out -- the difference between L.A. and so many other major cities is it's not European at all. The heart and soul and spine of L.A. is not Europe, which is a big difference from a lot of the other cities. And I guess I missed that." — Anthony Bourdain, who will eventually have an L.A. episode of his new show The Layover.

Not sure if he means "I missed that" as in he didn't catch it the first time, or if he means "I missed that" as in he missed the European-ness of the East Coast?

At least in the LA episode of No Reservations, he seemed to like LA but not really "get" what the city is all about.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM

342 posts, read 570,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
this is for Boston.
Dense Urban Core:12,752 people per square mile. third densest major city in the USA
Extensive Public Transportation: 4th busiest rapid transit system in the us, busiest light rail system, has 3 of amtraks top 25 busiest stations(#6.South station, #23. Back bay station, #25. North station), 5th largest commuter rail system
High End Shopping Street: newbury street, copley place, neiman marcus flagship store
Local food scene: Seafood(lobster rolls, new england clam chowder), legal sea foods restaurants HQ, boston cream pie
Recognizable from a single photo:
Most complete city: Chicago vs. LA vs. SF vs. Philly vs. DC vs. Boston-boston-back-bay.jpg
Local Sports Scene:7 major league championships since 2000(bruins 1, red sox 2, patriots 3, celtics 1), Boston marathon, head of the charles regatta
Good ratio of locals/transplants: one of the largest destinations for immigration in the us with very large Italian and Irish population
Strong ties to the past, but progressive as well: founded 1630, first subway, first public school, many preserved historic sites. Alpha- global city, 12th largest financial center in the world, some of the best hospitals in the world, 1st and 3rd best universities in the world(MIT and Harvard respectively). biotechnology hub
Storied ethnic neighborhoods: the north end is one of the most italian neighborhoods in the us.
City Nickname:Beantown, the hub of the universe, Athens of america, Cradle of liberty
Several famous streets known simply by their name: newbury street, boylston street, yawkey way
Museums: umm ya its Boston its got every kind of museum one could want
so obviously Boston is VERY far from being a complete city i dont even know why you put it on here

Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I thought the first McDonalds opened up in some town in Illinois?
That one is actually the 9th oldest Mickey D's. They bill themselves as the "original" McDonald's, for some bizarre reason. Nice try:

The Original McDonald's in San Bernardino, California | A Hamburger Today - Mobile Beta!"

Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM

"patriots 3" "Harvard" "MIT"

Bzzzzzz!!! Improper touting of non-Boston city limit championships and schools!

5 yard penalty, still second down.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That one is actually the 9th oldest Mickey D's. They bill themselves as the "original" McDonald's, for some bizarre reason. Nice try:

The Original McDonald's in San Bernardino, California | A Hamburger Today - Mobile Beta!"
It's because the corporation as we know today was started in Des Plaines, Il as the first franchised restaurant. But essentially the idea/original McDondal's was in San Bernardino.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM

crap! ok you got me there, but the Patriots are a classic Boston team but ok. Boston city proper sports teams won 4 championships since 2000. and still Boston marathon and head of the charles regatta, 4 NCAA D1 teams in city limits(Boston college, Boston Universtiy, Harvard, and Northeastern)

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
"patriots 3" "Harvard" "MIT"

Bzzzzzz!!! Improper touting of non-Boston city limit championships and schools!

5 yard penalty, still second down.
LOL yeah it makes it tough for Boston and LA to have such important parts of the metro excluded. But what is fair is fair...

Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Harvard and MIT both have substantial parts of their campuses on the BOSTON side of the Charles river. Harvard stadium is actually located in Allston/Brighton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City