Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city has the most historic Value
Detroit 4 2.12%
Boston 82 43.39%
Pittsburg 0 0%
Atlanta 2 1.06%
St Louis 2 1.06%
New Orleans 15 7.94%
Chicago 4 2.12%
NYC 22 11.64%
LA 4 2.12%
Philadelphia 50 26.46%
Other 4 2.12%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM

123 posts, read 291,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
This list is a joke without Philly....
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!! Say what you want about the negatives about Phillly but in history everyone else should bow down and kiss the ring of Philadelphia. It's called "The birthplace of america" for crying out loud. When you say history in this country, Philly better come out your mouth. Philadelphia is the most historic period. Boston isn't a slouch but compared to Philly I still say Philly!!!!!! To answer the original poster Philly has the most historic value!!! I said kiss the ring I'm out of hand lol. But I meant what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 05:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Philly

Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 PM

342 posts, read 570,869 times
Boston, because its the oldest major city, birthplace of the US, home to many firsts.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Boston, Philly, DC, New York, Charleston, New Orleans...in that order.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
Boston, because its the oldest major city, birthplace of the US, home to many firsts.
Technically Philadelphia is the birthplace of the US since both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution were signed here. Philadelphia is also home to many firsts.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Philadelphia really needs to be on the list. I think Boston and Philly both have argument for which is more historic, but it is crazy that Philly isn't even a choice.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Philadelphia really needs to be on the list. I think Boston and Philly both have argument for which is more historic, but it is crazy that Philly isn't even a choice.
Basically shows you how little American citizens know about their OWN country's history....

so sad.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 PM

220 posts, read 321,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree Boston should be #1 here as its contribution to history is obvious, but as a history person I agree with this poster regarding Detroits importance. Modern Detroit is a nearly dead city, nothing but negative coming out of there lately so its contribution to history is often overlooked. Detroit changed this nation so drastically that we could not possibly imagine modern life without it. Henry Fords affordable cars, his high pay standard literaly created the middle class and it made us mobile. GM and Chrysler followed suit and made the car an item every American needed. We ceased to be a nation powered by horses slugging through muddy streets and became a modern auto based society with paved streets and mobility that was previoulsy unimaginable in just a decade or two. When Hitler threatened to plunge the world into a dark age it was that industrial power that tipped the war into our favor. It was not our superior army, nor navy but our superior industrial base that made victory possibe. Detroit was the "arsenal of democracy" and without it we could be living in a world of dictatorship today. If Germany and Japan had won the war it would have taken centuries to un-do the damage they would have done. The auto plants of Detroit were 900 miles inland, totaly protected from Axis bombs cranking out tanks and flying fortresses faster than the Germans could even dream of shooting them down. When the war ended those same plants were the catalyst for massive growth of the US economy as they were untouched by the destruction of war. After the war the US auto industry dominated the world markets and had no real competition for years. Detroit during the first 50 years of the 1900s grew so fast it was the Pheonix or Atlanta of its day. Everyone wanted to be there, and hundreds of thousands headed there from around the nation for a job. It was a boom city, and like all booms the party came to an end. Detroits collapse is now legendary and its fate a depressing one. However you cannot deny its major influence on the history of the 20th century. A visit to the city will show you the fabulous architecture dating from the boom days, most now in ruins. For a short period it was one of the most important cities on earth.
I understand where you're coming from, but I believe I could say the same thing about Cleveland it played the same role with auto industry albeit on a smaller scale and also provide mass amounts of weapons i.e. tanks and war planes during WWII.
And since were sharing our cities "firsts" i'd like to share mine with you.
1863 – Free home delivery of mail - Joseph W. Briggs
1879 – Electric lighting of public streets - Charles F. Brush
1880 – Standardized formula paints - Sherwin-Williams Co.
1890 – Indoor shopping center (The Arcade)
1896 – X-ray machine and whole-body scanner – Dayton C. Miller (Case School of Applied Science); X-Ray photograph in the U.S. - Dudley Wick (his hand)
1898 – Automobile sale in the U.S. - Alexander Winton
1899 – Wound-rubber core golf ball - Haskell Coburn
1900 – Automobile club
1901 – Automobile steering wheel - Alexander Winton
1905 – Blood transfusion - Dr. George W. Crile, Sr.
1910 – Automobile shock absorbers - C.H. Foster
1914 – Electric traffic signal - Euclid Ave. & East 105th St.
1915 – Submachine gun
1916 – Gas mask successfully demonstrated at Cleveland Waterworks explosion - Garrett A. Morgan
1920 – Unassisted triple play in a World Series Baseball Game
1921 – Automobile windshield wiper - Frederick G. and William M. Folberth
1927 – Municipal airport (Cleveland Hopkins International) and air traffic control tower
1928 – Frosted light bulbs - Marvin Pipkin
1929 – Airplane automatic pilot (tested)
1936 – Health museum
1951 – Rock and Roll Music (public recognition and coinage of the term) - Alan Freed
1952 – Successful siamese twin separation
1967 – Elected the first African American mayor of a major U.S. city - Carl B. Stokes; Coronary artery bypass - Dr. René Favaloro - Cleveland Clinic
1968 – Rapid transit rail service from airport to downtown
[edit]
Also:
The first street light, The first in the United States, and second overall, was the Public Square road system in Cleveland, Ohio, on April 29, 1879.
1920 - Cleveland becomes the fifth largest city in the nation.
1966 - Hough Riots
1969 - A burning oil slick on the Cuyahoga River attracts national attention regarding pollution.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
The first street light, The first in the United States, and second overall, was the Public Square road system in Cleveland, Ohio, on April 29, 1879.
First electric street light in America was in Cleveland. The first street light of any type in America was in Philadelphia. The first gas street light was in Baltimore.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Where's Philadelphia on the poll?

The country was pretty much founded there. This is so dumb without Philly in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City