Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city has the most historic Value
Detroit 4 2.12%
Boston 82 43.39%
Pittsburg 0 0%
Atlanta 2 1.06%
St Louis 2 1.06%
New Orleans 15 7.94%
Chicago 4 2.12%
NYC 22 11.64%
LA 4 2.12%
Philadelphia 50 26.46%
Other 4 2.12%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:49 PM

643 posts, read 1,017,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You don't know that Philadelphia has historic value?

-Liberty Bell

-Independence Hall

-Original capital of the U.S./ First U.S. Congress

-Country was founded here (signing of the Declaration of Independence and National Constitution happened here)

-Largest collection of colonial housing in the U.S. in Society Hill in Center City, Philadelphia

-First U.S. Flag made here

-Battles during the American Revolution fought here

-First public school in America here

-First U.S. Hospital, Pennsylvania Hospital (still in operation today)

-First Science Institute

-First Lightning Rod used here

-Electricity discovered here

-First School of Anatomy

-First Medical School

-First Theater

-Life Insurance Started here

-First Slavery Protests here

-First Public U.S. Bank

-Second Public U.S. Bank

-First Stock Exchange

-First Daily Newspaper published here

-First Medical Relief to the poor here

-First Steam Vessel moved here on the Delaware River

-First Law School in the U.S.

-First Carpet Factory Here

-First Turnpike here

-First U.S. Mint here (still in operation today)

-First water company and water sent through pipes here

-First Ink Printing here

-First Carbonated Water here

-First Insurance Company here

-First Savings Fund Society

-First Lithograph in the U.S.

-First College of Pharmacy

-First Successful Woman's Magazine

-Many first Locomotives tested here

-First gas pipes in the country laid here

-First Zoo in America

-First World's Fair in the U.S.

...and the list goes on and on and on. And that doesn't even include some historical sites unique to Philadelphia like the graveyard that houses Ben Franklin's grave, the gentleman's agreement, 30th Street Station, City Hall, Eastern State Penitentiary (Al Capone arrested in Philadelphia and held here), Philadelphia was the first city to be laid out on a grid system and the first city to have planned parks, etc. etc. etc...

It's so sad how little American Citizens know about their own country. The only U.S. city that can go toe to toe in U.S. History with Philadelphia is Boston, Philadelphia trumps every other city when it comes to history.

fin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth View Post
Atlanta!!! I mean any city that can be practically burned to the ground and make a major comeback deserves it!
That's not history...
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No Philly?
but I think Boston is #1, but Philly has a strong argument.
No one is giving facts on how Boston has greater historic value. But us Philly posters are giving you list after list. Philadelphia has the MORE U.S. history then any other city. I mean come on... Boston is very historic, but compared to Philly. All it got is the American revolution(which Philly had a part in too). You might beat us in other category's. But in this one, we got you beat.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:33 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
That's not history...

No one is giving facts on how Boston has greater historic value. But us Philly posters are giving you list after list. Philadelphia has the MORE U.S. history then any other city. I mean come on... Boston is very historic, but compared to Philly. All it got is the American revolution(which Philly had a part in too). You might beat us in other category's. But in this one, we got you beat.
Boston is 115 years older, so therefore has more European/American History

Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
That's not history...

Boston is older, and it's colonial history is more well known (e.g. Salem witch trials).

Boston's role in the revolution is a bit more "glamourous" as it's the place where it all started.

Boston also had very important roles in the industrial development of America in the 1800s as well as in the abolitionism movement and in the arts.

That's why I voted for Boston over "other" (i.e. Philadelphia).

Old 10-20-2012, 05:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Boston is older, and it's colonial history is more well known (e.g. Salem witch trials).

Boston's role in the revolution is a bit more "glamourous" as it's the place where it all started.

Boston also had very important roles in the industrial development of America in the 1800s as well as in the abolitionism movement and in the arts.

Salem isn't Boston, but if you want to open up the area, then Fort Christina (Wilmington, DE) is almost as old as Boston (1638 vs 1630). The role of the Swedes in America are certainly not as well-known as that of the Puritans, but it's still a pretty cool history.

I'd say they're about even for the role in the Revolution, although, if I had to pick, I'd give Boston the slight edge. Valley Forge and the Battle of Trenton weren't too far from Philadelphia, though, so you can add that in to compete (although, Lexington and Concord were obviously near Boston).

Philadelphia also had an important role in the industrialization of America (this is particularly true if you include Northern Delaware and South Jersey, aka Dupont).

Philadelphia is also the site of major centennial celebrations.

Anyway, it's cool voting for Boston. That's my #2 pick anyway.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 PM

432 posts, read 609,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post

Huh? No it wasn't?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Huh? No it wasn't?
Yes it was.

The only reason the important conferences and signings happened in Philly was that Philly was both the largest city in the colonies at the time and it was the most central city, so representatives from the south could get there more easily than they could get to Boston or NYC. Otherwise, Philly's active role in the revolution was pretty small. All the revolutionary war characters were all from either Massachusetts (Ben Franklin, John Hancock, John Adams, etc.) or Virginia (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc). And the reasons why they met in Philly all stemmed back to events taking place in the Boston area in particular. Namely Bunker Hill, the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, the Shot Heard Round the World, etc. all of which were fought mainly by the Massachusetts militia. Eventually, with the British having been forced back into Boston, the colonists fired into the city, forcing the British to leave forever. And once they left Boston, they went south and seized Philly, which would remain in British hands for the remaineder of the war. Its true that a few battles were fought in New Jersey, and Valley Forge is very close to Philly, but neither of these events, imo i guess, had to do with the city or actions in the city.

As for other important Boston historical things :

First subway system

First Public school in America

America's frst public park

Stronghold of the Abolitionist movement

America's first post office

Invention of the telephone

First public library

Birthplace of the American Industrial Revoluton

America's first newspaper

Also (according to wikipedia..) "oldest continuously operated industrial and fishing port in the Western Hemisphere"

Invention of sewing machine

Oldest institution of higher learning

America's first annual marathon

America's first world series

!st mutual fund

invention of facebook

good stuff.....
(a lot gotten from here: Boston Firsts)

Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
(a lot gotten from here: Boston Firsts)
Good list. I firmly believe Philadelphia and Boston are 1 and 1a in this category. Just to counter your "Boston Firsts" link...

Philadelphia Firsts 1681-1899

And that's an incomplete list, because it doesn't include the 20th and 21st centuries.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Toss up:

Orlando, FL
Irvine, CA
Where the hell is Mesa, Arizona on this poll?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Boston and New York City hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City