Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city has the most historic Value
Detroit 4 2.12%
Boston 82 43.39%
Pittsburg 0 0%
Atlanta 2 1.06%
St Louis 2 1.06%
New Orleans 15 7.94%
Chicago 4 2.12%
NYC 22 11.64%
LA 4 2.12%
Philadelphia 50 26.46%
Other 4 2.12%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
This country didn't really become a global player until after the civil war (the US wasn't larger than Italy or Great Britain until 1860, France until 1870, and Germany until 1880)

In other words, although many of our cities are quite old, they didn't really resemble the significant world-leading cities we know today until the victorian and later eras. The US became "America" starting in the 1870s, 80s, 90s and 1900s--and so a great deal of our significant history is quite recent.

The century between 1870 and 1970 was as (if not more) significant to our national history as that from 1770 to 1870.
I think from an economic development perspective, you are correct. However, the Revolutionary War and subsequent drafting of the Constitution laid out the entire Legal framework of the US as we know it, and was the timeframe in which a lot of the governmental structures went into effect.

The Revolution (and especially the Constitution) are the basis on which the US has succeeded, so I think that is the most important era from a historical perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
When I think of Philly I think more of ...say....Rocky...than I do history.
That's your stupid fault. You do know that movie was filmed here. But anyways, people who know American history know Philadelphia wins. And my friends aunt is from Los Angeles, and she lives in Philly, so I asked her "why did you want to move to Philly?", and she said "I always wanted to move here, because of the history, im a history teacher, and I always loved the city, and the way its built". Then I said "what about the crime in some areas in Philly", she said "Theres parts of LA that look worst, and looks like Camden, and every city has its Ghetto". That shocked me, because I didnt know that was a reason people moved here...

Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
That's your stupid fault. You do know that movie was filmed here.
Hah...yes, I know it was. The place does seem less history and more big-city...sort of the way NYC is.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
When I think of Philly I think more of ...say....Rocky...than I do history.
Then you don't know anything about U.S. history. This isn't a thread about what you THINK about... it's a thread of what city has the most historic value.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Hah...yes, I know it was. The place does seem less history and more big-city...sort of the way NYC is.
The difference being, Philly still has an enormous amount of colonial architecture. New York couldn't tear down their historic buildings fast enough. We made everything into a damn park.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Then you don't know anything about U.S. history. This isn't a thread about what you THINK about... it's a thread of what city has the most historic value.
Tell us what the historic sites are.

There's the Betsy Ross House, Benjamin Franklin's grave, the Liberty Bell, and ..... what?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
This isn't a thread about what you THINK
Sure it is....this is an internet forum. It's all about opinion.

...that being said, sorry, Philly just doesnt do it for me the way Boston and New Orleans do. Didn't seem that quaint from what I saw, compared to Boston. New Orleans is just special due to its colonial history, and that the French Quarter survived and didnt become the "downtown" (the "American Quarter" became their downtown).

Anyway, heh, touchy people...

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

There's the Betsy Ross House, Benjamin Franklin's grave, the Liberty Bell, and ..... what?
LOL, is this a joke? There is history all over Philadelphia. It is known as the "City of Firsts", look it up there is wayyy too much for me to post here. Philadelphia was the second largest city in The English speaking World at one point and is only one of 2 cities to remain on the top 5 Most populous throughout the history of the country.

Philadelphia Firsts 1681-1899
Philadelphia

I will say that down the street from my house in the very socioeconomically diverse and majority black neighborhood of Germantown there is the First Presidential residence in the US, where George Washington lived. It is known as "The Germantown White House". Germantown is where the Battle of Germantown took place, a critical juncture in The Revolutionary War. There are historic sites all over.

Down the street from there is Freedom Square where the first protest againt slavery in the new World took place. Down the street from there is an intact former underground railroad stop, viewable to the public. Down the street from there is where the first paper mill was and first Bible was printed in North America.

I can go on and on and on and this is all 6 Miles outside of Philly's main historic district, the first residential street in the US, Independence Hall, etc, etc.

The ignorance on this forum truly can be astounding.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-09-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

Independence Hall is a pretty well known one because of that thing with independence. Philly's also got a lot of national "firsts" for stuff and a lot of old architecture in the neighborhoods. It's pretty apparent at ground level.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
will say that down the street from my house in the very socioeconomically diverse neighborhood of Germantown there is the First Presidential residence in the US, where George Washington lived. It is known as "The Germantown White House". Germantown is where the Battle of Germantown took place, a critical juncture in The Revolutionary War. There are historic sites all over.

Down the street from there is Freedom Square where the first protest againt slavery in the new World took place. Down the street from there is an intact former underground railroad stop, viewable to the public. Down the street from there is where the first paper mill was and first Bible was printed in this country.

I can go on and on and on and this is all 6 Miles outside of Philly's main historic district, the first residential street in the US, Independence Hall.
This sounds like it was cut & pasted from some promotional brochure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City