Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city has the most historic Value
Detroit 4 2.12%
Boston 82 43.39%
Pittsburg 0 0%
Atlanta 2 1.06%
St Louis 2 1.06%
New Orleans 15 7.94%
Chicago 4 2.12%
NYC 22 11.64%
LA 4 2.12%
Philadelphia 50 26.46%
Other 4 2.12%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM

630 posts, read 994,725 times

Advertisements

Philly and Boston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL, is this a joke? There is history all over Philadelphia. It is known as the "City of Firsts", look it up there is wayyy too much for me to post here. Philadelphia was the second largest city in The English speaking World at one point and is only one of 2 cities to remain on the top 5 Most populous throughout the history of the country.

Philadelphia Firsts 1681-1899
Philadelphia

I will say that down the street from my house in the very socioeconomically diverse and majority black neighborhood of Germantown there is the First Presidential residence in the US, where George Washington lived. It is known as "The Germantown White House". Germantown is where the Battle of Germantown took place, a critical juncture in The Revolutionary War. There are historic sites all over.

Down the street from there is Freedom Square where the first protest againt slavery in the new World took place. Down the street from there is an intact former underground railroad stop, viewable to the public. Down the street from there is where the first paper mill was and first Bible was printed in North America.

I can go on and on and on and this is all 6 Miles outside of Philly's main historic district, the first residential street in the US, Independence Hall, etc, etc.

The ignorance on this forum truly can be astounding.
Ignore them... They obviously never been to Philly a day in there life. Because if they have they would have seen entire historic neighborhoods. And streets full of signs explaining the history of the building in front of them. Oh and don't let me start about our suburbs!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I notice Philalphia isnt even on the poll in the thread header. Why are we even discussing the place?

If the Philalphia posters want their city to compare they should parent their own poll thread.
Someone did yesterday and then C-D aborted the thread. Whoever made THAT new list atleast had enough sense to put Jamestown and St. Augustine up there.SMH.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
The fact that Philadelphia is not on here is pretty ridiculous IMO
Yeah I would definitely say Philly, NYC is a close second.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM

406 posts, read 768,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree Boston should be #1 here as its contribution to history is obvious, but as a history person I agree with this poster regarding Detroits importance. Modern Detroit is a nearly dead city, nothing but negative coming out of there lately so its contribution to history is often overlooked. Detroit changed this nation so drastically that we could not possibly imagine modern life without it. Henry Fords affordable cars, his high pay standard literaly created the middle class and it made us mobile. GM and Chrysler followed suit and made the car an item every American needed. We ceased to be a nation powered by horses slugging through muddy streets and became a modern auto based society with paved streets and mobility that was previoulsy unimaginable in just a decade or two. When Hitler threatened to plunge the world into a dark age it was that industrial power that tipped the war into our favor. It was not our superior army, nor navy but our superior industrial base that made victory possibe. Detroit was the "arsenal of democracy" and without it we could be living in a world of dictatorship today. If Germany and Japan had won the war it would have taken centuries to un-do the damage they would have done. The auto plants of Detroit were 900 miles inland, totaly protected from Axis bombs cranking out tanks and flying fortresses faster than the Germans could even dream of shooting them down. When the war ended those same plants were the catalyst for massive growth of the US economy as they were untouched by the destruction of war. After the war the US auto industry dominated the world markets and had no real competition for years. Detroit during the first 50 years of the 1900s grew so fast it was the Pheonix or Atlanta of its day. Everyone wanted to be there, and hundreds of thousands headed there from around the nation for a job. It was a boom city, and like all booms the party came to an end. Detroits collapse is now legendary and its fate a depressing one. However you cannot deny its major influence on the history of the 20th century. A visit to the city will show you the fabulous architecture dating from the boom days, most now in ruins. For a short period it was one of the most important cities on earth.
detroit isn't nearly dead sorry

Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Cincinnati

Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Someone did yesterday and then C-D aborted the thread. Whoever made THAT new list atleast had enough sense to put Jamestown and St. Augustine up there.SMH.
I was wondering what happened to that. The mods have mixed up priorities to delete the poll that this should be and let this remain unlocked.

There's a perfectly valid discussion that could be had, but I don't think anyone can do it in this thread because the focus is on the exclusions.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL, is this a joke? There is history all over Philadelphia. It is known as the "City of Firsts", look it up there is wayyy too much for me to post here. Philadelphia was the second largest city in The English speaking World at one point and is only one of 2 cities to remain on the top 5 Most populous throughout the history of the country.
No, it's not a joke. I know that a lot of history took place in Philadelphia. A lot of history took place lots of places. But what are the remnants, the historic SITES there now. That's what I think of when I think "historic value." That there are historic buildings and sites that are well-preserved and open and available to the public, and are tourist-type destinations.

And yeah. Independence Hall. So now we have 4: Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Franklin's grave, Liberty Bell. And ....

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Port Charlotte, FL obviously.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
No, it's not a joke. I know that a lot of history took place in Philadelphia. A lot of history took place lots of places. But what are the remnants, the historic SITES there now. That's what I think of when I think "historic value." That there are historic buildings and sites that are well-preserved and open and available to the public, and are tourist-type destinations.

And yeah. Independence Hall. So now we have 4: Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Franklin's grave, Liberty Bell. And ....
Philly has more preserved than Boston does.

List of National Historic Landmarks in Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of National Historic Landmarks in Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City