Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

I hope not.
There are too many people moving to Texas in general. Austin is a mess because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I hope not.
There are too many people moving to Texas in general. Austin is a mess because of it.
I know! I remember when Pearland (A Suburb of Houston) was a quiet nice area that was just beginning to grow with not much developement, and I come back 5 years later and it is mad crazy! Traffic every corner you turn.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM

87 posts, read 186,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
They have already passed Chicago as the Sweatiest and fattiest.
( no offense, really there are studies on these things )
That's saying something because Chicagoans love to eat.

Fat sweaty folk aside there is more room to grow in Houston.
Studies on sweatiest cities? Phahaahahaaaaaa. I don't think I've ever heard of that before...

Anyhow, I believe that Houston will be able to pass up the population of Chicago by 2035 unless Chicago gets off the unemployment trian. Its a huge problem right now. Everyone is losing jobs and you're best bet to find one is Houston. But, if Chicago can overcome that issue, then, it will hold it's position as the third most populated in the U.S.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know families live in the loop but many people would rather raise there kids in the suburbs where they schools are much better and so are the neighborhoods, safety that is.
I was mostly pointing out your terrible misinformation about the schools in River Oaks and Bellaire sucking, when the exact opposite is true. City neighborhoods and schools aren't as bad as many people seem to think.

As for the rest, don't kid yourself. The main draw of the suburbs is that they're affordable. You can have your $150K McMansion with the huge yard and two shiny new cars. That's about where the appeal ends.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Even West Houston. West Houston out to the Memorial area all feels connect to the entire city. Much more than any other area of Houston. West Houston has great schools.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Thank you jluke. Yes. I said, IN THE LOOP. The loop is only 97 sq miles and if 1.2 million people fit in that loop, that means the density levels will be around 12,300 per square mile which is what Chicago is today. Right now, the inner loop is at 5500 per square mile.
...You can't exclude the rest of Houston because its density is terrible. The density of the inner loop of Houston now is about the same as Pittsburgh (which we all know has been declining greatly in population). If Houston didn't annex so much, I don't think people would have so much against it. A dense city of 500,000 is so much better than a sprawl fest one of 2.2 million.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Who says I'm excluding the rest of the Houston? I was talking about the inner loop.

I made the remark on your post which was post number 783. Did you forget that post? You specifically talked about the inner loop and I continued that part of the conversation. So where did I exclude the rest of Houston. Besides, most Houstonians consider the inner loop the real Houston. 530,000 currently live in 97 sq miles bringing that to an average density area and it's growing. That's what I was specifically was talking about.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
I think it probably will pass Chicago--I'm not sure when though. Who knows? Like Spire said though, some cities wish they could get away the things Houston does (limited mass transportation, annexation) and still be as large as they are, but they can't. I think that's where part of the animosity stems from (at least outside of this forum). It's kinda like being the ugly fat girl who doesn't wear nice clothes in school and still gets all the guys because you're cheap. GO HOUSTON!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think it probably will pass Chicago--I'm not sure when though. Who knows? Like Spire said though, some cities wish they could get away the things Houston does (limited mass transportation, annexation) and still be as large as they are, but they can't. I think that's where part of the animosity stems from (at least outside of this forum). It's kinda like being the ugly fat girl who doesn't wear nice clothes in school and still gets all the guys because you're cheap. GO HOUSTON!
Hey that ugly fat girl might have a great personality!! Besides just get her some dentures and she'll be good to go.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
What, are we on our shallowhal moment now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City