Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
No offense, but just because someone doesn't like your city, it does not mean they have never been. Even if they have a misconception about your city, it does not mean they have never been.
On City-Data, 85% of the time it does mean that they've never been. Lol, you're relatively new here, so I'm letting you know you have to check. People on here lie all the time about where they've been. In fact, I've caught some people in a lie.

Quote:
Maybe they are comparing it to what they know?
Which is another way of saying they're too lazy to check their facts.

Quote:
After all, in the many times that I have been to Houston it has felt like a giant suburb to me also. It's not nearly as bad as Phoenix, but it still has the suburb feel to it.
There are areas of Houston with a density of over 10,000 people per square mile, so I must ask, what the hell kind of suburb are you comparing Houston to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 AM

646 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
No offense, but just because someone doesn't like your city, it does not mean they have never been. Even if they have a misconception about your city, it does not mean they have never been. Maybe they are comparing it to what they know? After all, in the many times that I have been to Houston it has felt like a giant suburb to me also. It's not nearly as bad as Phoenix, but it still has the suburb feel to it.
They used to say that about DC too, but that has drastically changed.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post

There are areas of Houston with a density of over 10,000 people per square mile, so I must ask, what the hell kind of suburb are you comparing Houston to?
In fact, there are areas of Houston with around 20,000 people per square mile.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 AM

146 posts, read 797,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
In fact, there are areas of Houston with around 20,000 people per square mile.
Yes, there area pockets of Houston that are dense. There are even pockets of Phoenix that are dense. However, as a city overall, Houston is sprawled out and does not have the dense city feeling that I get in NYC, San Francisco, or Seattle.

EDIT: Oh yeah, let me add to that list Chicago.

EDIT2: If you really want to show off how great Houston is, head over to the picture thread and post some pictures that may change peoples perceptions

Last edited by GreenOR; 11-07-2007 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, there area pockets of Houston that are dense. There are even pockets of Phoenix that are dense. However, as a city overall, Houston is sprawled out and does not have the dense city feeling that I get in NYC, San Francisco, or Seattle.

EDIT: Oh yeah, let me add to that list Chicago.

EDIT2: If you really want to show off how great Houston is, head over to the picture thread and post some pictures that may change peoples perceptions
Well in that case, the term "urban" must be relative because I never get the feeling that I'm in a big suburb. In fact, some people move to the suburbs to escape the craziness of the city. The urban city.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm still very confused. Especially considering the fact that there are some areas of Houston that are more dense than some areas of Chicago.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Yes, but overall Houston is nowhere near as dense as Chicago, the downtown is not nearly as large, and it does not have the overall city feel that Chicago does. Now, you say that some people flee to suburbs to escape the city, right? Thus, if a city has suburbs then it also must have a downtown core, right? Well, Phoenix has a ton of suburbs, and I think we can all agree that Phoenix itself (even downtown) feels like nothing more than a suburb. So, what are people trying to escape in Phoenix? Could it be that some cities just build suburb after another to accommodate a booming population. That is to say, rather than building up to begin with, they build out. Only now are these Sunbelt cities starting to realize the mistakes that they have made by building out as they have done.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, but overall Houston is nowhere near as dense as Chicago, the downtown is not nearly as large, and it does not have the overall city feel that Chicago does. Now, you say that some people flee to suburbs to escape the city, right? Thus, if a city has suburbs then it also must have a downtown core, right? Well, Phoenix has a ton of suburbs, and I think we can all agree that Phoenix itself (even downtown) feels like nothing more than a suburb. So, what are people trying to escape in Phoenix? Could it be that some cities just build suburb after another to accommodate a booming population. That is to say, rather than building up to begin with, they build out. Only now are these Sunbelt cities starting to realize the mistakes that they have made by building out as they have done.
I wasn't talking about Phoenix, I was talking about Houston.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Alright, well I was using Phoenix to undermine your logic. However, you didn't seem to understand that. If you don't see that Houston is sprawled out, then you're either in denial or blind. But whatever, I am not going to argue with you. You're one of those "I have to defend my city no matter what" types, that much is obvious.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Alright, well I was using Phoenix to undermine your logic. However, you didn't seem to understand that. If you don't see that Houston is sprawled out, then you're either in denial or blind. But whatever, I am not going to argue with you. You're one of those "I have to defend my city no matter what" types, that much is obvious.
When did I ever say Houston was not sprawled out? When?? All I said is that it was urban and that it did not feel like a big suburb.

And no I'm not "one of those." I can list that city's shortcomings better than anyone on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City