Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Wow this thread is epic. I won't even bother reading all the pages, and focus son the original post.

Going by the numbers, I think it will by 2020. Texas is more business friendly than Chicago and IL. The previous president and his band of supporters also didn't leave Texas out in the cold either.

Texas is desperately trying to diversify into technology, alternative energies, and expand its industrial base.

It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than Chicago for cost of living.
You're exactly right. People like Texas a lot more than Illinois or just about any other state because the cost of living is low and there are a lot of jobs. These are the main two things most people look at. Chicago isn't any better than Houston but the cost of living is a lot higher. So it would be much smarter to live in Houston versus Chicago. There's a reason Texas is growing so fast and has passed up every state except for California. There are a couple of people in this thread that just don't want to face facts. The truth can be harsh. Texas versus Illinois. All I can say is which state has more population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Did you also know that Texas is a very big state?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
You're exactly right. People like Texas a lot more than Illinois or just about any other state because the cost of living is low and there are a lot of jobs. These are the main two things most people look at. Chicago isn't any better than Houston but the cost of living is a lot higher. So it would be much smarter to live in Houston versus Chicago. There's a reason Texas is growing so fast and has passed up every state except for California. There are a couple of people in this thread that just don't want to face facts. The truth can be harsh. Texas versus Illinois. All I can say is which state has more population.

Hmm I wouldn't go that far, Frodo. Business friendly =/= people like it better

People DON'T like Texas a lot more than IL. In fact if you talk to most people OUTSIDE of Tejas then you'll realize that many people don't like it because Texans tend to be ignorant of anything but Texas, like "bigger is better" and guilt by association with W. Also many people don't like the cowboy mentality.

Chicago on the other hand people do like currenly because of Obama, it has long been a cultural staple, and frequently gets the news.

Also, cost of living is definitely important, but you go where the jobs are. If you had an equal opportunity to live in Chicago vs. Houston, most people would pick Chicago.

The reality though is that Chicago isn't doing as good a job as Houston in keeping taxes low and diversification. Since the .com bubble burst, the tech sector in Chicago hasn't been the same, and other engineering firms have been slow on the uptake. Boeing moving there was just for show. That means more opportunity. More opportunity + lower cost of living, that's why Houston is growing.

NOT because it's a "better place" than Chicago. As I said, most people outside of Chicago or Texas would take Chicago over Houston given an equal opportunity.

ANYWAYS, "what place is better" isn't a factor in this thread and shouldn't be. It's whether you think Houston will overtake Chicago as the 3rd largest city, and by thenumbers, it will. Period. Nothing about "is it better" or not.

Last edited by eskercurve; 05-13-2009 at 12:57 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Chicago vs. NYC is worth a fight, because not as many people appreciate Chicago's superiority to the Big Apple.
:dubiou s:

seriously... seriously...? I had to read that 3 times before I actually realized it was a real post.

Chicago is in no way shape or form superior to NYC.

The only people who think this, or even think Chicago is close (it isn't) are delusional Chicago homers.

Honestly I like Chicago a lot, I spent 4 years there yada yada (no not in the burbs), but you have to be out of your mind to think this kind of stuff.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hmm I wouldn't go that far, Frodo. Business friendly =/= people like it better

People DON'T like Texas a lot more than IL. In fact if you talk to most people OUTSIDE of Tejas then you'll realize that many people don't like it because Texans tend to be ignorant of anything but Texas, like "bigger is better" and guilt by association with W. Also many people don't like the cowboy mentality.

Chicago on the other hand people do like currenly because of Obama, it has long been a cultural staple, and frequently gets the news.

Also, cost of living is definitely important, but you go where the jobs are. If you had an equal opportunity to live in Chicago vs. Houston, most people would pick Chicago.

The reality though is that Chicago isn't doing as good a job as Houston in keeping taxes low and diversification. Since the .com bubble burst, the tech sector in Chicago hasn't been the same, and other engineering firms have been slow on the uptake. Boeing moving there was just for show. That means more opportunity. More opportunity + lower cost of living, that's why Houston is growing.

NOT because it's a "better place" than Chicago. As I said, most people outside of Chicago or Texas would take Chicago over Houston given an equal opportunity.

ANYWAYS, "what place is better" isn't a factor in this thread and shouldn't be. It's whether you think Houston will overtake Chicago as the 3rd largest city, and by thenumbers, it will. Period. Nothing about "is it better" or not.
Some people in Texas are ignorant about non-Texan things but a lot of Texans know other things. In Houston there aren't any cowboys. The cowboys are small town or country Texas not the big cities like Houston and Dallas. You have a lot of ignorant people everywhere not just Texas.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
:dubiou s:

seriously... seriously...? I had to read that 3 times before I actually realized it was a real post.

Chicago is in no way shape or form superior to NYC.

The only people who think this, or even think Chicago is close (it isn't) are delusional Chicago homers.

Honestly I like Chicago a lot, I spent 4 years there yada yada (no not in the burbs), but you have to be out of your mind to think this kind of stuff.
Yes I definitely agree. Most people including me would much rather live in NYC than Chicago. NYC and LA get all the air time in the U.S. For every 10 times the media mentions NYC or LA, Chicago or Houston is mentioned once. Whether people like it or not the media seems to be fascinated with NYC and LA.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Whether people like it or not the media seems to be fascinated with NYC and LA.
Because "Who cares about flyover country (or the Heartland)?"

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Because "Who cares about flyover country (or the Heartland)?"
And clearly celebrity stardom/media hype is an excellent proxy for quality.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
And clearly celebrity stardom/media hype is an excellent proxy for quality.
Actually that is the reason the media is fascinated with coastal America. I wasn't dissing the Great Middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City